LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Way more kids go to AHL because their teams tell them to & because they don't have an option like Finnish youngsters now have in Jokerit. I'm sure he'll develop just fine there. Many Europeans come straight from Euro leagues into the NHL. Saying that AHL is better for development is hogwash, unless the kid has obvious difficulties in transitioning to the NA game. Vesalainen doesn't seem to have these problems, looking how he did in the AHL.

Exactly, plus he gets to play for his hometown team and most likely be very close to his family.

Very easy to see why chose this option and I dont see how it would hinder his development, since he obviously didn't have any problems on NA ice.

Reactions: 1OApick

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Way more kids go to AHL because their teams tell them to & because they don't have an option like Finnish youngsters now have in Jokerit. I'm sure he'll develop just fine there. Many Europeans come straight from Euro leagues into the NHL. Saying that AHL is better for development is hogwash, unless the kid has obvious difficulties in transitioning to the NA game. Vesalainen doesn't seem to have these problems, looking how he did in the AHL.

So how was his AHL career if we forget points?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not since his Espoo Blues days. Had basically an all-star roster at Kärpät. And please don't bring up Aho, Marjamäki had little role in his development, he would have panned out under any coach.
I actually had Donskoi in mind, mostly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
but 300k>80k (before taxes)
Then he joins the NHL directly. Ez money for him. It also pressures them to play him on the roster, earning more.

Since there's about half of regular season left, he probably won't make that much. This move also might not have happened if Jokerit didn't have injury issues with forwards right now.

Reactions: irunthepeg

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He got recalled. Looks like Winnipeg may have bent the knee to try and keep him in NA.

Actually it looks like Chevy is going to burn some bridges here if the kid doesn't actually play. Supposedly the outclause in this players contract requires the player to be in the AHL, and for it to happen before November 17th. If Chevy brings up Vesalainen and then sends him down in 2 days, I can't imagine a happy agent or player camp. Wow.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Yep, he's not playing tonight, so they literally called him up to thwart his decision to go back to Finland.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
He has made these decisions before with Frölunda and HPK/Kärpät. I wouldn't doubt his decisions too much, I bet he'll do anything to be on the opening lineup with the Jets next year and hopefully to play with them for the whole year.

Maybe he is smarter than we think. Jokerit summer holiday usually starts in February, so its more like a 3 month loan then back to AHL ;)

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Boy or his agent is greedy.

Full year in AHL would be just fine at this point.
If he would continue like he did at those 8 games he,would rise his stock, also in possible trade talks.

Jets still need that center and Vesalainen might be good part for a trade.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I agree. I also thing the reasons why the team send him to AHL weren't related to his performance, it was a business move to not burn a year of his ELC. It was also a business decision from Vesalainen to sign with Jokerit. If I'm completely honest when he swapped from Frölunda to HPK I criticized his move on these forums. But when you look at his history every move he has made has worked out for him so far. He went to Frölunda after not getting a spot from HIFK and did great, when things there stopped working he swapped to HPK and his next season there was great. Also swapping to Kärpät to win the championship was a great move. I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt not to second-guessed after his every move.

I still think it was dick move by the Jets to bring him up. It makes no sense. Even if they give him some games he's not going to get more than 7 minutes of ice time the way the Jets run their team. It would be better for his developement to just let him return to Finland asap.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree. I also thing the reasons why the team send him to AHL weren't related to his performance, it was a business move to not burn a year of his ELC. It was also a business decision from Vesalainen to sign with Jokerit. If I'm completely honest when he swapped from Frölunda to HPK I criticized his move on these forums. But when you look at his history every move he has made has worked out for him so far. He went to Frölunda after not getting a spot from HIFK and did great, when things there stopped working he swapped to HPK and his next season there was great. Also swapping to Kärpät to win the championship was a great move. I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt not to second-guessed after his every move.

I still think it was dick move by the Jets to bring him up. It makes no sense. Even if they give him some games he's not going to get more than 7 minutes of ice time the way the Jets run their team. It would be better for his developement to just let him return to Finland asap.
It wasn't a buisness decision, it was a development decision. Yes, he may be capable of being a 4th liner, but they don't want to play him 8 to 11 minutes a game, they rather give him 18+ with the Moose. Does it make Vesalainen get less money? Yes. But, the ELC thing isn't the primary motivation. Its the fact he isn't a top 9 winger on a healthy Jets roster.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Boy or his agent is greedy.

Full year in AHL would be just fine at this point.
If he would continue like he did at those 8 games he,would rise his stock, also in possible trade talks.

Jets still need that center and Vesalainen might be good part for a trade.
So playing in a better league and better environment for development is about greed somehow?

Good for Jokerit.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If I'm completely honest when he swapped from Frölunda to HPK I criticized his move on these forums. But when you look at his history every move he has made has worked out for him so far. He went to Frölunda after not getting a spot from HIFK and did great, when things there stopped working he swapped to HPK and his next season there was great.

His draft year was a bunch of meh production at best until he tore it up at U18. He was getting 1st line minutes w/ Frölunda playing with Joel Lindqvist, puck never found his stick even while he was doing the right things.

A year older and a year bigger in a lesser league, he tore it up. Him playing in the KHL for now is just as good as playing in the A for his development, just not getting the TLC he could get being in the same training complex as the big club.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Good on him. More money (hopefully), closer to home, in an arguably a more competitive league.

Anyone in here would make the same decision he did, in a heart beat. He'll come back better for it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good on him. More money (hopefully), closer to home, in an arguably a more competitive league.

Anyone in here would make the same decision he did, in a heart beat. He'll come back better for it.

Nope, learning to play in NA benefits more.

Reactions: tellermine

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lol. He is trying to get to NHL.

KHL is top heavy league with rinks like airfields. Totally diffrent stuff compared to NHL.

So yes. Stupid of him to go KHL. Maby thinks AHL is not flashy enough to him...
Thank ypu for a very useful demonstration of the fact that most of the posts of this kind come from people who have no idea about the KHL and live of some urban myths and rural legends about it. Carry on.

The only factual part of your post is the quote from Captain Obvious about getting to the NHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Ok.
So you dont have any valid arcuments.
Just KHL fanboy.
If your parents taught to communicate with people politely you'd get answers. Unfortunately you can't learn manners from the internet, whatever fanboy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad