LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The thing about him is he's good enough for the NHL, the problem is he wouldn't likely get ice-time for the Jets. He's just too good for the AHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yep, it's not great... It's probably better for his salary but...

Well, there's the thing that Marjamäki's sort of known for being a good development coach.

Not since his Espoo Blues days. Had basically an all-star roster at Kärpät. And please don't bring up Aho, Marjamäki had little role in his development, he would have panned out under any coach.

Reactions: irunthepeg

SaekkiPaelli

Oct 1, 2011
smart individual move. Hes gonna cash in big time considering the talent he is.

Depends on what you consider "cashing in big time", Jokerit has an internal limit of max 800k a year to one player, add in the finnish taxes and how far the KHL season has gone, he'll make a max of like 300k this year. I'm assuming he wants to go to the NHL next year, so if this hinders his development for his big NHL contract, this is actually not as good a financial decision as staying COULD be

EDIT: smart financial move maybe if he wants to hedge his options if the NHL doesn't work out for him, but if he is a PPG player in the AHL, even if the NHL doesn't work out he'd get a chance in the KHL

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Depends on what you consider "cashing in big time", Jokerit has an internal limit of max 800k a year to one player, add in the finnish taxes and how far the KHL season has gone, he'll make a max of like 300k this year. I'm assuming he wants to go to the NHL next year, so if this hinders his development for his big NHL contract, this is actually not as good a financial decision as staying COULD be
but 300k>80k (before taxes)
Then he joins the NHL directly. Ez money for him. It also pressures them to play him on the roster, earning more.

Reactions: Ippenator

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
smart individual move. Hes gonna cash in big time considering the talent he is.
Won't be one long term if this hinders his ability to play in the NHL and thus gets a worse contract. Risky move, should've just stayed in the AHL.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Won't be one long term if this hinders his ability to play in the NHL and thus gets a worse contract. Risky move, should've just stayed in the AHL.
He can sign a one year contract and then go back to the NHL, pressuring the jets to keep him up.
Regardless, ahl players dont seem to transition well to the NHL these days (just an observation I've seen from recent sample). The KHL will make him a better player and maybe one day a star.

Reactions: Ippenator

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
He can sign a one year contract and then go back to the NHL, pressuring the jets to keep him up.
Regardless, ahl players dont seem to transition well to the NHL these days (just an observation I've seen from recent sample). The KHL will make him a better player and maybe one day a star.
We'll have to see. I like him as a player and hope the best for him.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Way more kids go to AHL because their teams tell them to & because they don't have an option like Finnish youngsters now have in Jokerit. I'm sure he'll develop just fine there. Many Europeans come straight from Euro leagues into the NHL. Saying that AHL is better for development is hogwash, unless the kid has obvious difficulties in transitioning to the NA game. Vesalainen doesn't seem to have these problems, looking how he did in the AHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad