LW Kirill Marchenko (2018, 49th, CBJ)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The whole SKA team disappoints again. Bragin is just not good for a club job.
Kuzmenko and Burdasov are definitely pulling their weight, I think they got offended by all that Atas' "SKA has no first line" talk. But other than this small outlier, I agree on both parts.

Although what coach really wants to be in a position to juggle 40-men roster and play 16 y.o. kids by default. It's definitely not all on Bragin at this point, I think someone like Znaroks probably wouldn't even want to deal with all the Rotenberg's shenanigans and interference at this point.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kuzmenko and Burdasov are definitely pulling their weight, I think they got offended by all that Atas' "SKA has no first line" talk. But other than this small outlier, I agree on both parts.

Although what coach really wants to be in a position to juggle 40-men roster and play 16 y.o. kids by default. It's definitely not all on Bragin at this point, I think someone like Znaroks probably wouldn't even want to deal with all the Rotenberg's shenanigans and interference at this point.
The argument is still valid. Burdasov is a good 2nd liner in the KHL. The fact that he has to carry a top line is exactly my point. Kuzmenko is an okay complementary 1st liner or a good 2nd liner, so a tweener. Same here as I see it. They don't have the personell to be a top team that easily wins games against weaker teams and competes well against contenders. I don't think it's on Bragin. BTW Bragin style actually lives of a couple of stars who he can deploy to break the game open. He just does not have that with SKA. Marchenko is not a dominant superstar. No other is on the team. They don't have a Shipachyov.

And someone like Zanrok was just hired by Rotenberg's NT, so an intersting timing on your post:) (yes, I understand the NT is a different animal)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The argument is still valid.
I can definitely see where you are coming from that's why I didn't really argue against it at the time you said it. But that argument becomes weaker if you combine it with the point the team isn't really underachieving. Because we can agree SKA doesn't have bona fide 1st line stars but when you start comparing it to the competition, who does? There are only a couple of teams in the league.

If Bragin lives of a couple of stars that's a Bragin problem, not someone else's. There is just nowhere to take those from at this point. Tolchinsky was the star that won the cup last year, is he a true 1st line talent? Would he play much under Bragin? I doubt it. That's why Marchenko played 14 minutes per game last year and so did Tkachyov. To the point where the latter packed his bag and left. Vey is arguably another casualty of this so-called coaching, nobody even remembers him as an offensive threat anymore.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I can definitely see where you are coming from that's why I didn't really argue against it at the time you said it. But that argument becomes weaker if you combine it with the point the team isn't really underachieving. Because we can agree SKA doesn't have bona fide 1st line stars but when you start comparing it to the competition, who does? There are only a couple of teams in the league.

If Bragin lives of a couple of stars that's a Bragin problem, not someone else's. There is just nowhere to take those from at this point. Tolchinsky was the star that won the cup last year, is he a true 1st line talent? Would he play much under Bragin? I doubt it. That's why Marchenko played 14 minutes per game last year and so did Tkachyov. To the point where the latter packed his bag and left. Vey is arguably another casualty of this so-called coaching, nobody even remembers him as an offensive threat anymore.
Last year doesn't really count. COVID and the awful rosters everybody had it was only logical someone like Tolchinskiy could be a star on a Cup winning team. And just about now some prominent Tolchinskiy types are not playing under Hartley.

Vey is an another 2nd liner who benefitted greatly from playing alonside Kirill the thrill. I might be biased with Tkachyov, I never liked him as a player in the first place, but FWIW I don't think he is a big loss for SKA. I am talking Panarin, Gusev kind of types of players they might need. Who knows, if Chirbikov, Svechkov and Michkov mature a little, they might take that spotlight.

Marchenkos's progression is okay. For all the hype people keep forgetting he sorta that okay late 2nd round pick. He has the shot, and it will benefit him greatly if/when he tries to make the NHL, but overall he is not in that special tier.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His production so far is pretty similar to last season . Is there any indication that he plans to sign and come to North America next season or at least soon?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His production so far is pretty similar to last season . Is there any indication that he plans to sign and come to North America next season or at least soon?

Yes, he and his agent confirmed that Kirill will be joining the Blue Jackets next season.

That might explain why SKA has been playing him 7 minutes a night lately.

Reactions: wings5

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yes, he and his agent confirmed that Kirill will be joining the Blue Jackets next season.

Sounds like petty behaviour from SKA to me

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ooor, you can take a look at their roster and that also explains it. But sure, we can turn this into Podkolzin thread vol. 2, that had its moments.

Sounds like petty behaviour from SKA to me
Yes, them playing Askarov and Morozov in the VHL or letting go/trading/loaning away 11 players over the last 2 months has to be related to them all going to NA. Definitely no other factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
SKA is a mess. Bragin doesn't control the situation, and Rotenberg doesn't wanna bring good coach, because the first thing that coach does is to tell Roman f*** off...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ooor, you can take a look at their roster and that also explains it. But sure, we can turn this into Podkolzin thread vol. 2, that had its moments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that Marchenko would be one of the higher per-minute scorers on the team, and he plays well without the puck. So it is just hard to imagine that he wouldn't be at least one of their 5th through 7th best wingers.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

They did the same with Podkolzin.

I feel bad for Marchenko. He should be in North America by now, this is not great at all for his development.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
As far as I understand, Marchenko and Morozov refused to re-sign their contract with SKA and expressed a desire to move to the NHL next season. For this, SKA punishes them with a short ice time and exile to the VHL. SKA bosses are politicized idiots with populist patriotic rhetoric "Russian players should stay in Russia." But young talents dream of the NHL and SKA for them only a springboard. The bosses do not want to put up with the fact that the players aspire to the NHL, in the end they make themselves ridiculous, "punishing" their best talents. If I understand everything correctly. Podkolzin went through this, now it is the turn of Marchenko and Morozov, and the next in line are Khusnutdinov, Svechkov, Michkov, Askarov, Kirsanov, Chibrikov, Ivantsov, Koromyslov, Demidov, etc.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that Marchenko would be one of the higher per-minute scorers on the team, and he plays well without the puck. So it is just hard to imagine that he wouldn't be at least one of their 5th through 7th best wingers.

It might be easier to imagine if you keep in mind that SKA have 23 (!!!) forwards on their KHL roster and they need somehow to play them all. And also that among these forwards are Kuzmenko and Gusev, who play at Marchenko's position, which means that it is unlikely he gets into the Top6.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
As far as I understand, Marchenko and Morozov refused to re-sign their contract with SKA and expressed a desire to move to the NHL next season. For this, SKA punishes them with a short ice time and exile to the VHL. SKA bosses are politicized idiots with populist patriotic rhetoric "Russian players should stay in Russia." But young talents dream of the NHL and SKA for them only a springboard. The bosses do not want to put up with the fact that the players aspire to the NHL, in the end they make themselves ridiculous, "punishing" their best talents. If I understand everything correctly. Podkolzin went through this, now it is the turn of Marchenko and Morozov, and the next in line are Khusnutdinov, Svechkov, Michkov, Askarov, Kirsanov, Chibrikov, Ivantsov, Koromyslov, Demidov, etc.

Why Kuzmenko is playing then? Friedman told that he likely goes to the NHL too.

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Why Kuzmenko is playing then? Friedman told that he likely goes to the NHL too.
Kuzmenko is no longer young. I remember that the position of the high bosses of Russian hockey was that Russian hockey players should play in the KHL at least until the age of 24 (something like that).

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Kuzmenko is no longer young. I remember that the position of the high bosses of Russian hockey was that Russian hockey players should play in the KHL at least until the age of 24 (something like that).

Ok, but then it still doesn't make sense like why they are playing Marchenko and Morozov at all then? I mean, by that logic they should've just bury them in the VHL and call up only when they agree to extend the contract.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
And Gusev too! He signed a one-year deal in order to be back in the nhl next season. LOL.
Yes, and you know what the SKA bosses said after Gusev's return? "We are keeping our promise by bringing Russian players from the NHL back to Russia". A reason for another dirty populism.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
And also that among these forwards are Kuzmenko and Gusev, who play at Marchenko's position
This is the question, why do they need so many forwards, why did they need Komarov, for example? I would like Marchenko, Morozov, Michkov, Svechkov, Askarov, Chibrikov, Ivantsov to play in the KHL, they deserve it 100%, but instead SKA exiles them to the lower leagues and signs Gusev and Komarov. Stupid club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad