LW Kirill Marchenko (2018, 49th, CBJ)

GeorgeReznik1

Dec 21, 2020
It is annoying talking to people who don't even know their stats. In the season by Kaprizov you bring up he also had 23 points with 16 goals in 22 games for the senior NT. Something Marchenko is not even close to, while also playing some games for the senior NT. Kaprizov was Russia's leading goal scorer and second in scoring in the Olympics that year. Should we compare their WJC numbers too? You are not getting anywheere trying to prove the opposite of the obvious - Kaprizov was the better prospect and is going to be a better player going forward. Again, that is not a knock on Marchenko in any way as Kaprizov is one of the very few finest Russia produced recently.

It Is annoying talking to people who don't know their stats. No one cares about what he did with the "senior national team". That never translates to success. I couldn't care less if you disagree on Kaprizov, I've seen enough to know way better than that.

Kaprizov never comes close to the goal scoring season at 20 that Marchenko is dominating with. Not even close.

No way is Kaprizov better. Never going to happen.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
It Is annoying talking to people who don't know their stats. No one cares about what he did with the "senior national team". That never translates to success. I couldn't care less if you disagree on Kaprizov, I've seen enough to know way better than that.

Kaprizov never comes close to the goal scoring season at 20 that Marchenko is dominating with. Not even close.

lol

Kaprizov at 19 0.86 ppg
Kaprizov at 20 0.87 ppg

Marchenko at 19 0.52 ppg
Marchenko at 20 0.70 ppg

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto

Dude Kaprizov was nearly a pig player at Marchenko's age they're both great players but Kaprizov is better.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
No one cares about what he did with the "senior national team". That never translates to success.
LOL. dude. Yeah, because playing on an even higher level doesn't mean a thing or does not "translate".

If Marchenko's develpment works out perfectly he might make the russian NT(the best-on-best team) someday in his prime. Kaprizov is a lock to make it. He would make it right now and he is playing the by far toughest position to do so, i.e. RW.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I also don't see Marchenko to be the best player in the league as soon as in 1-2 years. That was the Kaprizov timeline. Going at 22 and further on he was undisputably the leagues best goal scorer and in a Top2 discussion with Shipachyov for best player in the league. And yes this is all corrected by teammates, teams and assignments. Obviously Gusev and Dawes had more points, but I still give Kaprizov a very clear edge on them as in overall player evaluation.

That is a very tall order and not a knock on Marchenko who of all people wasn't even considered a top prospect just a couple of years back. Marchenko is going to be just fine, but obviously at least a bit behind Kaprizov. And that is a great development curve for Marchenko and Columbus too.

I personally see it. One thing I love about Marchenko, is a clear progress he does every year. 18 year old Marchenko was a light year behind Kaprizov at the same age. 20 year old one is much much closer. Kiril (oh shit, they are both Kirils, I mean Marchenko of course) does big or even huge leap every new season comparing to previous one. If he does another one next season, he'll get pretty close to being the best player of the league.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I personally see it. One thing I love about Marchenko, is a clear progress he does every year. 18 year old Marchenko was a light year behind Kaprizov at the same age. 20 year old one is much much closer. Kiril (oh shit, they are both Kirils, I mean Marchenko of course) does big or even huge leap every new season comparing to previous one. If he does another one next season, he'll get pretty close to being the best player of the league.
Progress is one thing, talent is another. He is making the most of his tools, but he simply never will have those elite tools. He is just a tier below. And Kaprizov made huge leaps too. He's had one "odd" year with 15 goals and 25 assists in the KHL(while absolutely going on a tear for the NT in the same season), but other than that he was on the rise all the way and is curve was always quite a bit above Marchenko.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Progress is one thing, talent is another. He is making the most of his tools, but he simply never will have those elite tools. He is just a tier below. And Kaprizov made huge leaps too. He's had one "odd" year with 15 goals and 25 assists in the KHL(while absolutely going on a tear for the NT in the same season), but other than that he was on the rise all the way and is curve was always quite a bit above Marchenko.
His curve was not always above. Marchenko had better U17 season and their perfomances at WJC-U18 are comparable. I remember the first time I saw Marchenko very well and his hands were already at great level, he is pure talent. While Kaprizov is more self-made man and he didn't impress me that much at the very beginning.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
His curve was not always above. Marchenko had better U17 season and their perfomances at WJC-U18 are comparable. I remember the first time I saw Marchenko very well and his hands were already at great level, he is pure talent. While Kaprizov is more self-made man and he didn't impress me that much at the very beginning.
Then you literally watched in all the wrong places. Kaprizov always was special. He is not a finese player only, like Marchenko. He is great in many different aspects of the game and he also has better hands. His hands were always brilliant.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
lol

Kaprizov at 19 0.86 ppg
Kaprizov at 20 0.87 ppg

Marchenko at 19 0.52 ppg
Marchenko at 20 0.70 ppg

It's not that easy to make a direct statistical comparison - Marchenko was in and out of the lineup, on the 4th line, for the start of this season. He also had covid and was sent to juniors. He had no points in the first 6 games. He has 21 pts in 24 games since then, which works out to .875 ppg.

Then you literally watched in all the wrong places. Kaprizov always was special. He is not a finese player only, like Marchenko. He is great in many different aspects of the game and he also has better hands. His hands were always brilliant.

I just want to point out how different the description "finesse player only" is compared to the report by @CambieKev on the previous page. Is he a consistent strong defensive player or not? His offensive skillset would seem to be more debatable?

Reactions: thebus88

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I just want to point out how different the description "finesse player only" is compared to the report by @CambieKev on the previous page. Is he a consistent strong defensive player or not? His offensive skillset would seem to be more debatable?
Finesse means in my post he is relying on is hands and skating mostly, but both offensively and defensively. It does NOT mean he is "soft" or something. It does not mean he is a one sided offence only player. As for MArchenko's defence it is sometimes good to not be the elite prospect right away. Those tend more to be floaters and only offensice minded guys who would need to learn the well rounded game. Marchenko had to prove his worth, so he was maybe more pressed to show he can be effective in all aspects of the gae.

GeorgeReznik1

Dec 21, 2020
lol

Kaprizov at 19 0.86 ppg
Kaprizov at 20 0.87 ppg

Marchenko at 19 0.52 ppg
Marchenko at 20 0.70 ppg

Talking about goals little guy, not points. Goals :)

Marchenko also has plenty of games left to continue to increase his ppg. Has 17 points in his last 20 games.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nice player, but won’t be a difference maker over here. Qi really do t see him as an NHL player. That’s me though. He might surprise.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nice player, but won’t be a difference maker over here. Qi really do t see him as an NHL player. That’s me though. He might surprise.

I think you're saying "I don't really see him as an NHL player"?

To that I'd say there is a good question whether he'll be a difference maker, but from the game video and write-up from CambieKev (previous page) he's as good a bet to be an NHLer as you'll find from the KHL. Responsible two-way player, good shooter and passer, he'd get a job in the NHL on most clubs. And the agility for a player with his reach is special too, I don't think we can rule him out as a topline type of guy.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Here is an article on Marchenko by Kevin Wong at Dobber Prospects.

There has been a significant amount of buzz surrounding 20-year-old Kirill Marchenko in recent weeks. He has recently played first-line minutes with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL and has become a marquee prospect of the Blue Jackets as a result of his recent success.

The most noteworthy element of Marchenko’s game is his consistency on the backcheck.

Although he has tallied 10 goals and 18 points in 27 games so far this season with SKA St. Petersburg — a marginal improvement over last season’s totals — Marchenko’s determination and wherewithal on the defensive side were the standout aspects of his performance in our footage. Nearly every time the puck came back into his own zone, he was present to support his defensemen. Often, when the opponent carried the puck into his end, he would trail immediately behind to provide an additional barrier against cross-seam passes as well as to force the puck carrier wide. On a few occasions, Marchenko skated all the way down to his own goal line to provide defensive support.

These displays of defensive commitment should bode well for the 20-year-old prospect as he adjusts to the NHL game and establishes trust between himself and the coaching staff of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Despite Marchenko’s steady rate of point production, however, his offensive game lacks certain line-driving qualities that one might want from a top offensive talent. While he possesses good speed and carries the puck with poise, there were no moments in this game when he took control of the play and dictated the pace of action. There has been quite a lot of buzz about his game this season. The excitement is justified, and his transition to the NHL will be made easier by the completeness of his game. However, as far as his offensive output is concerned, one may wish to temper their expectations for now.

At this point in time, he tends to rely to a certain extent on his linemates to generate opportunities in transition. Meanwhile, he prefers to hover in the low slot in search of rebounds and high-percentage chances. He possesses quick hands in tight spaces and on numerous occasions was able to maneuver around an opposing player in the low slot before snapping a quick shot on goal. He also provides good forechecking pressure in the corners of the offensive zone. Thus, he has spent time on SKA’s powerplay and has played significant even-strength minutes alongside scorer Linden Vey.

The former 49th overall, second-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft has certainly become one of the more noteworthy prospects this season in the KHL. As he continues to develop, it will be worth paying attention to whether he can add some individual flair and offensive confidence to his repertoire.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kirill Marchenko moves like Buchnevich, for sure. I'm thinking Marchenko might have more offensive IQ. His KHL stats to this point have been a bit better. I don't know if Buchnevich didn't get as much opportunity when he was traded to SKA, he scored much less for them than Marchenko has. In any case, if Marchenko ends up like Buchnevich, it will be a great success for a 2nd round pick. But that's just a good top six forward, Columbus fans are really hoping for more than that.

Buch's best part of his game is hockey IQ. I think there are some similarities though. Marchenko may be more of a goalscorer. Buch doesn't like shooting, and thus his goal numbers suffer, even though he has a pretty good shot.

When traded to SKA, he had already decided he was coming over to the NHL after that season. Thats why Severstal traded him. They wanted to recoup some value. With SKA knowing that, they opted to play Gusev in their only open top 6 winger spot over Buchnevich. You can't blame SKA as thats smart management. They knew Gusev would be there for at least another few seasons. And Gusev also got there like a week earlier at the trade deadline. Buch rotated between playing as the 13th forward and 3rd line winger, even though he was very accomplished for Severstal. With SKA, they sometimes take other KHL teams best players and make them into role players.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Been waiting for him to break his slump, he scored a 2nd goal with 16 seconds left in the game and also assisted on 1 of Strömwall's goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad