LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
That's a pretty common move, just rare and lucky that it worked. Even in minors we were taught that if you're on your own, an option is to throw it in front at the D-man's skates. It might get it tied up before he can clear it long enough for a teammate to come in, or you just might get a lucky bounce. I did it in practice once :P

He put the puck there intentionally knowing where it might end up, but it's not like he was like "Hey guys, watch this" and knew what would happen

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
That's a pretty common move, just rare and lucky that it worked. Even in minors we were taught that if you're on your own, an option is to throw it in front at the D-man's skates. It might get it tied up before he can clear it long enough for a teammate to come in, or you just might get a lucky bounce. I did it in practice once :P

He put the puck there intentionally knowing where it might end up, but it's not like he was like "Hey guys, watch this" and knew what would happen

Agree. Very lucky but the intention was there to put it where the high risk was for Quick/LA. It is similar to throwing the puck at the goalies skates when there is a quick rebound attempt that goes below the goal line. A lot of times the goalie has not recovered and gained position against the post quick enough and the goalie actually becomes a good redirect option into their own net.

I love that Johnny is doing what he is doing. For me, nothing beats watching a player who sees the game on an extremely high level. His ability to read/anticipate rebound location/angle is worth the price of admission. During my playing days I struggled so much trying to figure out where to go for rebound opportunities. Always a day late and a dollar short. So that part of his game is fascinating to me.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
God damn this kid is fantastic. I thought he was going to struggle due to his size in the NHL, and be more of a rich man's Gerbe, but couldn't be more wrong. He's an absolute star, my favourite player to watch on the Flames. Crow consumed.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
God damn this kid is fantastic. I thought he was going to struggle due to his size in the NHL, and be more of a rich man's Gerbe, but couldn't be more wrong. He's an absolute star, my favourite player to watch on the Flames. Crow consumed.

Don't worry, you'll only need to seem him 5 times a year :naughty:.

Aug 3, 2010
There's still half a season+ to go, but he is definitely looking like a grade-A player. Many Flames fans were happy in the pre-season/off-season if he would have started his professional career with the Flames' AHL affiliate and brought up later as an injury fill-in but it's pretty obvious now that he has nothing left to prove in any other league other than the NHL.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I really liked the Hartley interview talking about him.

Basically saying they now see his defense as really solid and feel like he's a guy they can and want to at times start in the defensive zone; and talking to his assistant coaches between periods everyone (including Bob) keeps thinking they want to get him on the ice more.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
That second goal is pure genius.

Me and many others kept commenting that he was having poor puck luck. It got balanced out somewhat last night but his numbers still don't do justice. Only a matter of time before he catches Forsberg in points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad