LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
By my count he's been Calgary's best forward in 3 of his 6 career games (games 1, 2, and 6). He was OK in game 4 and not very good in game 2 or 3.

Overall, not bad for a rookie, especially given his ice time. He could very easily have 2 or 3 by now.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
By my count he's been Calgary's best forward in 3 of his 6 career games (games 1, 2, and 6). He was OK in game 4 and not very good in game 2 or 3.

Overall, not bad for a rookie, especially given his ice time. He could very easily have 2 or 3 by now.

I would say Byron was probably our best forward yesterday.

Aug 3, 2010
Hurray! Part 4 for a fourth round pick!

Let's get this over with:

-Kid has undeniable hockey IQ and hands

-Best NCAA scoring record since Kariya and winning the Hobey Baker is why he's received the Johnny Hockey moniker from his college days

-Kid is small and will be crushed like tiny robin's egg between the thighs of NHL-sized defenders

-He doesn't shy away and makes plays along the boards/in front of the net but does get outmuscled

-His playstyle is most comparable to Kane, not Gerbe or MSL but not meaning he has the same ceiling

-He's a fourth round pick who has been (over)hyped but if he makes it that's great for any pick past the second round. If he doesn't make it, it's just another mid-late round bust.

Now let the slobberfest begin.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
what's the word on him about staying in NHL or going for a stint in the AHL ?

Is he good enough to stay in the nhl and learn or do cgy fans expect him to be sent down soon if he does not produce ?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Is he good enough to stay in the nhl and learn or do cgy fans expect him to be sent down soon if he does not produce ?

No official word that the Flames have any plans to send him down. Have to imagine they are thinking about it though.

Hes been a good enough 200 foot player, and he has had chances. I imagine if he doesn't get any points on the board after a few more the send him down.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Hurray! Part 4 for a fourth round pick!

Let's get this over with:

-Kid has undeniable hockey IQ and hands

-Best NCAA scoring record since Kariya and winning the Hobey Baker is why he's received the Johnny Hockey moniker from his college days

-Kid is small and will be crushed like tiny robin's egg between the thighs of NHL-sized defenders

-He doesn't shy away and makes plays along the boards/in front of the net but does get outmuscled

-His playstyle is most comparable to Kane, not Gerbe or MSL but not meaning he has the same ceiling

-He's a fourth round pick who has been (over)hyped but if he makes it that's great for any pick past the second round. If he doesn't make it, it's just another mid-late round bust.

Now let the slobberfest begin.

Or the thread could be closed and Calgary can continue discussing him in their own forum.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Weird how a ROOKIE, on a FLAMES team, who puts up LOW amounts of goals, while getting SHELTERED isn't on a PPG pace.

People need to relax, JG has been great so far. He's making very smart hockey plays and opening up chances every time he has the puck.

But since this is HF he might as well be shipped off for the first 5th round pick that comes our way.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is the more appropriate forum for tantalizing prospects. The team boards are for gabbing about the fine play of guys like Nick Bonoinio.

It's not about whether it's appropriate to discuss a prospect on the Prospect board, but how this prospect ended up generating such a huge number of posts.

Imagine the sad day when he'll no longer be eligible for discussion as a "prospect". What is the over/under on the total number of threads and posts that will have been devoted to him before he graduates to the more general status of a pro player?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Weird how a ROOKIE, on a FLAMES team, who puts up LOW amounts of goals, while getting SHELTERED isn't on a PPG pace.

People need to relax, JG has been great so far. He's making very smart hockey plays and opening up chances every time he has the puck.

But since this is HF he might as well be shipped off for the first 5th round pick that comes our way.

....wait... so you're saying that we are on the fourth thread for a player who is finally in the NHL but is going to be sheltered and not put up a high number of goals and assists as a rookie? How anticlimactic. :(

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
....wait... so you're saying that we are on the fourth thread for a player who is finally in the NHL but is going to be sheltered and not put up a high number of goals and assists as a rookie? How anticlimactic. :(

Yup, maybe we should just lock the thread about a prospect in the prospect forum then if it makes the Jets fan happy.

One day Petan will get some hype.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

He hasn't scored, but he also hasn't been a liability and he puts in an effort in the defensive zone. As long as he does that I don't think he'll get sent down - unless they feel his confidence is being hurt by his lack of production in the NHL.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
For a really small guy I kinda expected him to be faster.

Burakovsky is a bit more impressive in that regard, and he's 30lbs heavier.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Hartley has stated that JG has a long leash and will be given plenty of opportunity to make mistakes and grow in the NHL. I think he'd have to be pretty ineffective for a fairly lengthy period of time in order to get sent to the AHL (like a couple of months straight).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's not about whether it's appropriate to discuss a prospect on the Prospect board, but how this prospect ended up generating such a huge number of posts.

Imagine the sad day when he'll no longer be eligible for discussion as a "prospect". What is the over/under on the total number of threads and posts that will have been devoted to him before he graduates to the more general status of a pro player?

If you don't like the thread stop posting in it instead of spamming it.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
For a really small guy I kinda expected him to be faster.

Yeah honestly I'm still waiting for this 'elite skill level' we all heard about to shine through. Not an explosive skater and has a marshmallow shot. Being the smallest player in the NHL you would expect high-end speed. Watched 4 of 5 Flames games this year and 5 of 6 of his NHL games. He is a tremendous stickhandler and has excellent hockey sense. He's just not the full package of skill I was anticipated. It's still early to write him off, but honestly not overly impressed with his skill level at this point. He's working hard though.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

You're right, its just weird he's on a 0 ppg pace right now with the way Flames fans have talked about him.

Like I've stated before, its great that he has "looked" good in the games so far, but all that really matters for him in the end is putting up points, since he's never going to be a physical force.

If he continues to be unproductive I imagine he will sent down after game 10 or so to get his offensive game going again.

He does look good out there though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You're right, its just weird he's on a 0 ppg pace right now with the way Flames fans have talked about him.

Like I've stated before, its great that he has "looked" good in the games so far, but all that really matters for him in the end is putting up points, since he's never going to be a physical force.

If he continues to be unproductive I imagine he will sent down after game 10 or so to get his offensive game going again.

He does look good out there though.

Have you watched any of the games though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad