LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sounds like he's sitting tonight.

Still not sure, Hartley says that will be a game time decision. I think it might be good for Johnny to sit back and watch the game in the press box. We're giving Josh Jooris a chance from a well deserved call up, so we're looking at another prospect too.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Pretty tough to score when the team mates around him aren't scoring. He could have easily had a couple of points by now if his teammates capitalized on his passing. And about the Calder, we said we wouldn't be surprised, not he will. One more thing, you're a big boy, make your own expectations for the kid rather than others. You know every fan base overrates their players.

Colborne is PPG
Hudler is PPG
Gio is PPG
Brodie is PPG
Raymond has 3 goals

Hell even Bollig has a point.

Seems to me like maybe his teammates would have more points if Gaudreau was producing more at the moment. I heard he's a healthy scratch today, there's a reason for that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Colborne is PPG
Hudler is PPG
Gio is PPG
Brodie is PPG
Raymond has 3 goals

Hell even Bollig has a point.

Seems to me like maybe his teammates would have more points if Gaudreau was producing more at the moment. I heard he's a healthy scratch today, there's a reason for that.

-Colborne gets more playing time than Johnny, regardless of being Johnny's center
-Hudler isn't on Johnny's line
-Giordano and Brodie are on a whole new level of Johnny, they are defenseman that play about half of the game. Clearly our best players and get double the ice time of Johnny.
-Really, you're going to use Bollig to support your argument? The guy plays 4th line minutes. And the 4th line contributes every now and then.

You don't realize how hard it is for a player to go from the NCAA to the NHL, do you? It's a big step for a player to do that. Johnny is probably a healthy scratch, so what? It will probably benefit him, because Johnny will translate his game to become NHL capable. He's done it in every league he's been in, if he struggles, he finds ways to make him better. And if you haven't noticed, he's been getting better every game since he's played. But that's right, you aren't watching him, you're just focusing on how many points Johnny has put up.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
-Colborne gets more playing time than Johnny, regardless of being Johnny's center
-Hudler isn't on Johnny's line
-Giordano and Brodie are on a whole new level of Johnny, they are defenseman that play about half of the game. Clearly our best players and get double the ice time of Johnny.
-Really, you're going to use Bollig to support your argument? The guy plays 4th line minutes. And the 4th line contributes every now and then.

You don't realize how hard it is for a player to go from the NCAA to the NHL, do you? It's a big step for a player to do that. Johnny is probably a healthy scratch, so what? It will probably benefit him, because Johnny will translate his game to become NHL capable. He's done it in every league he's been in, if he struggles, he finds ways to make him better. And if you haven't noticed, he's been getting better every game since he's played. But that's right, you aren't watching him, you're just focusing on how many points Johnny has put up.

I think, on the contrary, most of us do realize how hard that step is. Which is why we were urging caution in pumping Gaudreau while many (not all) Flames fans were saying that the transition would be easy because he was playing against older players already as compared to junior players.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Pretty tough to score when the team mates around him aren't scoring. He could have easily had a couple of points by now if his teammates capitalized on his passing. And about the Calder, we said we wouldn't be surprised, not he will. One more thing, you're a big boy, make your own expectations for the kid rather than others. You know every fan base overrates their players.

I'm 8

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think, on the contrary, most of us do realize how hard that step is. Which is why we were urging caution in pumping Gaudreau while many (not all) Flames fans were saying that the transition would be easy because he was playing against older players already as compared to junior players.

And as I've mentioned in many past threads and now today's, Johnny may very well be come a slow burner, but he will translate his game to become NHL capable. Right now, I think he is overwhelmed by how many games there are in the NHL. The NCAA schedule is the NHL cut in half.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And as I've mentioned in many past threads and now today's, Johnny may very well be come a slow burner, but he will translate his game to become NHL capable. Right now, I think he is overwhelmed by how many games there are in the NHL. The NCAA schedule is the NHL cut in half.

Those are some strong words. One thing I've learned about prospects is never use the word "will", especially with players with as many questions marks as Gaudreau.

Your second point doesn't even make sense, hes played 5 games so far...

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
A few years ago Johnny was playing high school hockey in South Jersey. These days people are arguing whether he is a bust because he hasn't put up points in the first couple of weeks in his NHL career.

I have never seen a certain team's fanbase be so actively involved in criticizing another's team's prospect. This thread should go in the HFBoards Hall of Fame for that reason... and it has nothing to do with the actual player.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
A few years ago Johnny was playing high school hockey in South Jersey. These days people are arguing whether he is a bust because he hasn't put up points in the first couple of weeks in his NHL career.

I have never seen a certain team's fanbase be so actively involved in criticizing another's team's prospect. This thread should go in the HFBoards Hall of Fame for that reason... and it has nothing to do with the actual player.

Can't speak for anyone else but it's mostly for lol's because of how long I've heard/read people talk up Gaudreau as gods gift to hockey.

If Gaudreau had 7 points in the first 5 games this thread would be equally hilarious but it would be people continuing their overhype on this kid.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Can't speak for anyone else but it's mostly for lol's because of how long I've heard/read people talk up Gaudreau as gods gift to hockey.

If Gaudreau had 7 points in the first 5 games this thread would be equally hilarious but it would be people continuing their overhype on this kid.

That's a shortsighted view. People started talking about him during the WJC -- when he looked awesome -- and it continued with his incredible NCAA performance. His skills are mesmerizing, hence more talk. Then haters overran the thread and the response was jokes about Godreau, etc.

We should all laugh about it, etc, in good fun. But too many people are jumping in saying everyone was hyping the guy when they have no idea what they are talking about. It's always the same haters over and over too.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Sounds like he is a healthy scratch tonight. I'm guessing he's going to be sent to Adirondack.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think you're going to see similar growing pains (no pun intended) as Zuccarello had. Although Zucc was more of a developed player when he broke into the league.

He'll be fine.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I remember last year when he scored a goal in his first and only NHL game.
The hype from Fames' fans was over the top this past summer and during the young stars tourney.
Probably a good lesson here for all fan bases although not as many prospects have been hyped as much as Gaudreau.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I remember last year when he scored a goal in his first and only NHL game.
The hype from Fames' fans was over the top this past summer and during the young stars tourney.
Probably a good lesson here for all fan bases although not as many prospects have been hyped as much as Gaudreau.

He earned every bit of his hype. He was excellent in that game last year, and the first game of this season. He's shown that he has the ability to play at a high level. He will live up to his hype. And it won't take long before the hype train is full steam ahead once again.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He earned every bit of his hype. He was excellent in that game last year, and the first game of this season. He's shown that he has the ability to play at a high level. He will live up to his hype. And it won't take long before the hype train is full steam ahead once again.

The whole point is you don't hype a prospect based on one meaningless game near the end of the season when neither team was playing for anything.
So no, he did not earn the hype based on such a small sample size.
Jury's still out on whether his game will translate to the NHL. My best bet is that he makes it but nowhere close to as a star player. But like I said it's way too early.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
The whole point is you don't hype a prospect based on one meaningless game near the end of the season when neither team was playing for anything.
Jury's still out on whether his game will translate to the NHL. My best bet is that he makes it but nowhere close to as a star player. But like I said it's way too early.

I never said he earned it in one game. He's earned it in college, at the WJC's, at the WC's... it's why they call him Johnny Hockey. His game against the Canucks was in line with the hype that he already had.

Bps21*

It's awesome how flames fans are all like, "why are you guys expecting so much out of him!?" when they were the ones who hyped him up so much during the offseason with comments like, "i wouldn't be surprised if he runs away with the calder and scores 25g25a."

All your fault. I'm expecting more because of you guys.

This.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I never said he earned it in one game. He's earned it in college, at the WJC's, at the WC's... it's why they call him Johnny Hockey. His game against the Canucks was in line with the hype that he already had.

We'll see. I see lots of prospects who I'd say deserve more hype than Gaudreau.
It's primarily Flames' fans jumping the gun on him. Now if he ends up getting sent down don't be upset when fans comment on it.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
We'll see. I see lots of prospects who I'd say deserve more hype than Gaudreau.
It's primarily Flames' fans jumping the gun on him. Now if he ends up getting sent down don't be upset when fans comment on it.

No Flames fans would be upset if he was sent down. He would probably destroy the AHL if he was sent down and I'd love to see it. And that's not hype talking; that's a true statement.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No Flames fans would be upset if he was sent down. He would probably destroy the AHL if he was sent down and I'd love to see it. And that's not hype talking; that's a true statement.

Yeah, just like it was a true statement that he was a lock to win the Calder.
What you said is the very definition of hype.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Those are some strong words. One thing I've learned about prospects is never use the word "will", especially with players with as many questions marks as Gaudreau.

Your second point doesn't even make sense, hes played 5 games so far...

They are strong words, I've seen him develop.

How does my second point not make sense? He was used to a 40 game schedule where they mainly played on just weekends. Now, the Flames have played 5 games in 9 days, 6 games in 10 days after tonight. How does my point not make sense?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Guarantee no one hyped him over a game. We are proud of what he did in the NCAA. A well deserved game at the end of the year, and he scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad