LW Joel Farabee - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 14th, PHI)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Scored this goal today. I thought he was probably the best US player today. Really like his work-ethic. I see a poor-man's Parise in his game.

Wouldn't even call him a poor-mans Parise. He's at a similar level as Parise was at that age. Now, pretty much everything went right for Parise development wise but I can see Farabee getting there with the right breaks.

I feel a lot of people (not referring to you) forget about the facts of player development post draft and the sheer luck in regards to injuries early in your career (lost time is always significant and time you will never regain). If Farabee gets the right breaks, he'll be an elite player in the NHL. The kid competes, is a leaders, plays with tenacity, is a good skater and has a high-iq. You give that framework to the right coaches/development staffs, throw in some luck with linemates and avoiding injuries early on, you'll get a very good to elite player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wouldn't even call him a poor-mans Parise. He's at a similar level as Parise was at that age. Now, pretty much everything went right for Parise development wise but I can see Farabee getting there with the right breaks.

Thats what I meant. I don't see 90+ points, which is why I said poor-man's Parise.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
just a little less toe-dragging Joel!!! 3-4 times a game a bit too much bud lol!!

I agree with you guys, kid was solid, he has been the unsung player on this team all year, the glue guy if you will...he just performs every shift and every game as if it was his last just like one of my all-time favs Zach Parise.

Joel will have a career very similar to Parise/Pavelski - if that doesn't warrant a top 10 pick, not sure what the hell else would.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thats what I meant. I don't see 90+ points, which is why I said poor-man's Parise.
I think with the right breaks he could depending on what league-wide scoring is. I mean, him becoming on the level of Parise or Marchard is probably unlikely but it could happen due to his skill set and work ethic.

I just find capping high-end kids ceilings a bit frustrating in prospect discussion. Just due to the fact how often players either over or underachieve the perceived ceilings and floors around here.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This kids an absolute stud. One of the most complete players in the draft, can do it all.
Speed+skating? Check.
IQ? Check
Vision/good passing? Check.
Good defensively? Check.
Good motor and backchecking? Check.
Good shot? Check.
Leadership? Check.
The list goes on and on. There’s not one thing this kid does below average, he could get bigger but that’s literally it. Very noticeable and I hope this tourny will get him rated higher like he should be. I have him at 8/9 right now

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This kids an absolute stud. One of the most complete players in the draft, can do it all.
Speed+skating? Check.
IQ? Check
Vision/good passing? Check.
Good defensively? Check.
Good motor and backchecking? Check.
Good shot? Check.
Leadership? Check.
The list goes on and on. There’s not one thing this kid does below average, he could get bigger but that’s literally it. Very noticeable and I hope this tourny will get him rated higher like he should be. I have him at 8/9 right now
almost seems like a perfect fit for the Rangers huh?? lol...

I think he will be right there at your pick as it stands, unless you jump up and get a top 3 pick...Farabee as a Ranger for some odd reason just looks right to me.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I think he will be right there at your pick as it stands, unless you jump up and get a top 3 pick...Farabee as a Ranger for some odd reason just looks right to me.
I’ve been saying this for a long time that we’ll end up with Farabee. GMJG has been preaching character+leadership and Farabee is local as well. Add in that we don’t have 1 good winger prospect (besides Ronning who’s interesting but not a for sure NHLer)
Also I had a “theory” that we’ll go with a winger because at the draft we stocked up on defense (Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren) and added another C (Howden) but we still have yet to address our winger prospect issues
I’d prefer a dman but I’d be happy with Farabee
I think at 8th overall Rangers will draft Boqvist (if he’s there) or Farabee

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’ve been saying this for a long time that we’ll end up with Farabee. GMJG has been preaching character+leadership and Farabee is local as well. Add in that we don’t have 1 good winger prospect (besides Ronning who’s interesting but not a for sure NHLer)
Also I had a “theory” that we’ll go with a winger because at the draft we stocked up on defense (Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren) and added another C (Howden) but we still have yet to address our winger prospect issues
I’d prefer a dman but I’d be happy with Farabee
I think at 8th overall Rangers will draft Boqvist (if he’s there) or Farabee
well, as my 3rd fav team in the league (Hawks-1 and Jets -2), I hope the Rangers get him for many of the reasons you said. just a good kid that will fit that rebuild culture nicely and be a likely "C" at some point in the NHL.

just not sure how you rebuild and then go out and get Kovalchuk!! lol, there is your winger!!

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

I’ve got that feeling too, Quinton Hughes/Farabee just look right to me in a Rangers jersey for some reason. I also keep seeing Farabee in a Hurricanes jersey and that one just fits for me too, for whatever reason.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
4 US kids projected to go top 10 - Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Hughes, and Farabee....depending on which list but a lot of them have all 4 in the top 10...interested to see where Bobby Mac has these 4 after the tournament. In 2017, almost had 4 as Matthews, Keller, Tkachuk and Logan Brown went #11....

Been a bit since 4 US kids in the top 10, and a likely 5th right behind in Bode Wilde. Very happy to see the high end talent really starting to come out consistently for USA Hockey.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If you guys would name one or two things about Farabee that is elite, what would it be? His hockey IQ?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think the Rangers need elite talent. After we just took Andersson in the top 10, we need to take a higher upside player in the top 10 this year. You don't rebuild with Andersson's and Farabee's in the top 10.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think the Rangers need elite talent. After we just took Andersson in the top 10, we need to take a higher upside player in the top 10 this year. You don't rebuild with Andersson's and Farabee's in the top 10.

Problem is what highend players are available other then defense? And if you draft defense good chance it will be 4 years to get a payoff(ie you probably get a quicker payoff on forward)

Chances are Farabee will be the highest skilled forward at 7 other then Wahlstrom and with Wahlstrom I would worry you would need a top end center to get maximum use out of him

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Problem is what highend players are available other then defense? And if you draft defense good chance it will be 4 years to get a payoff(ie you probably get a quicker payoff on forward)

Chances are Farabee will be the highest skilled forward at 7 other then Wahlstrom and with Wahlstrom I would worry you would need a top end center to get maximum use out of him

Who cares how quick it pays off? You want it to pay off with a Stanley Cup.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
what the hell higher end player you going to get at that pick??

Thats for the scouting staff to decide. Farabee is a good player, Andersson is a good player, I don't think a team that needs high-end talent should be taking these types of players at 8. They will be good NHL players, but unlikely they'll be elite NHL'ers. It might be easier for a team like Edmonton that has McDavid and Draisaitl to take a complimentary guy. Similar situation to taking Tkachuk. The Rangers need to be trying to draft a future star. Whether thats Wilde or Veleno or someone like that, take a guy who has higher upside.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Farabee's game more than Wahlstrom's . Wahlstrom has the big shot, scores with more ease and some silky hands but I just like Farabee's hustle..

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Thats for the scouting staff to decide. Farabee is a good player, Andersson is a good player, I don't think a team that needs high-end talent should be taking these types of players at 8. They will be good NHL players, but unlikely they'll be elite NHL'ers. It might be easier for a team like Edmonton that has McDavid and Draisaitl to take a complimentary guy. Similar situation to taking Tkachuk. The Rangers need to be trying to draft a future star. Whether thats Wilde or Veleno or someone like that, take a guy who has higher upside.

As I said you best bet trying to pick a future star player would be defense, problem with that is it's much harder judging defensemen at 18 then skilled forwards

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am just saying, every team wants elite talent, but when you pick towards #10 not sure what more you could ask for with Farabee...maybe you can make a case for 1 or 2 names, but I think even with that the talent gap is negligible at best. And IMO, you win championships with guys like Farabee, not sure why Rangers wouldn't want that,

If they want elite, tank some more and hope for Jack Hughes next year. That is my advice.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I feel like he's a supercharged version of Ryan Callahan. Just a complete player, with skating for today's game.

IMO - top ten pick all day long.

Reactions: Frannel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad