LW Joel Farabee - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 14th, PHI)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think the Rangers need elite talent. After we just took Andersson in the top 10, we need to take a higher upside player in the top 10 this year. You don't rebuild with Andersson's and Farabee's in the top 10.
Andersson is projecting to be a high end 2C..at 7th overall you shouldn’t always be expecting an elite player. was picking Andersson over Mittelstadt the wrong move? Sure. But Lias has leadership and plays an excellent 200 foot game along with feistiness. Chytil was that elite player we needed and we got him at 21.
Farabee, has high end skills with a high upside, I don’t get why some people seem to think he has low potential just because he’s a two way player, he’s dynamic offensively

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Thats for the scouting staff to decide. Farabee is a good player, Andersson is a good player, I don't think a team that needs high-end talent should be taking these types of players at 8. They will be good NHL players, but unlikely they'll be elite NHL'ers. It might be easier for a team like Edmonton that has McDavid and Draisaitl to take a complimentary guy. Similar situation to taking Tkachuk. The Rangers need to be trying to draft a future star. Whether thats Wilde or Veleno or someone like that, take a guy who has higher upside.
Wilde is not good..like at all. Especially at 8th overall. I want Dobson/Bouchard there but I wouldn’t be mad at all with Farabee, I have him at 9th. Veleno is pretty much a Lias-level prospect with a similar ceiling

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wilde is not good..like at all. Especially at 8th overall. I want Dobson/Bouchard there but I wouldn’t be mad at all with Farabee, I have him at 9th. Veleno is pretty much a Lias-level prospect with a similar ceiling

If you guys took Farabee and left us Hughes/Dobson I'm good with that.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No thanks ;)
Farabee will be great for the Oilers though and is a perfect fit to play with McJesus

I think Ty Smith might be an option as well for us well. We're pretty familiar with him playing and rooming with Yamamoto in Spokane.

I'm mixed on Smith, Boqvist/Hughes/Dobson would be a no brainer but Smith I'm not 100 percent sold on.

The more I read and see about Farabee, the more I like this kid.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think Ty Smith might be an option as well for us well. We're pretty familiar with him playing and rooming with Yamamoto in Spokane.

I'm mixed on Smith, Boqvist/Hughes/Dobson would be a no brainer but Smith I'm not 100 percent sold on.

The more I read and see about Farabee, the more I like this kid.
Not sold on Smith either, just don’t see it with him and I used to think he was underrated but now he’s a bit overrated(after that 7 point game) with some having him top 10. His defense is iffy and he’s not dynamic enough offensively for his size imo. I still see him being a solid top 4 guy but not top pairing

Reactions: snipes

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
strong game for Joel - 2 way force out there - player of the game for the US.

I have no problems with him inside my top 10, kid just continues to showcase his IQ, work ethic, and skill

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm finally starting to see why people like this kid so much. Still worried about how effective he'll be in the NHL at his size and style of play. At the very least he needs to do some serious bulking.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he has been amazing for USA at the U18’s. But not sure he will go as high as maybe he deserves to given he is a winger and his size. He’s just smart and makes plays, but I’m not sure he’s as dynamic with the puck as some other small wingers who have gone top 10.

Reactions: Aho Mitakuye Oyasin

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Farabee is 6'0 and 170 lbs. He's not huge, but the size concerns seem like grasping for straws.

Yeah he hasn’t looked comparably small to me at all during this U18. In any case he battled hard and plays “bigger”.

I think Phoenix (if they drop 2-3 spots), Detroit, Chicago, and NYR are all possible top-10 spots. Similar to Andersson jumping up to 7 last year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah he hasn’t looked comparably small to me at all during this U18. In any case he battled hard and plays “bigger”.

I think Phoenix (if they drop 2-3 spots), Detroit, Chicago, and NYR are all possible top-10 spots. Similar to Andersson jumping up to 7 last year.

I really don’t see him going to Detroit. Maybe he sneaks into the top 10, but I think he is more likely to go 10-20.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Farabee is 6'0 and 170 lbs. He's not huge, but the size concerns seem like grasping for straws.
NHL teams know that 2-3 years in BU's strength and conditioning program, led by guru Ben Prentiss, will have him ready when he makes the jump.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I can't see Detroit drafting him in the top-10, but maybe, if they can move up with the Vegas pick and a player like Nyqvist or Athanasiou, he should still be there when Carolina, Philly or Florida picks. It's fun to speculate, anyways.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

For me it has more to do with his style of play. Guys who are smaller than him generally have traits like elite skater, elite shot, elite stickhandling etc. I don't see that in Farabee. I think it's harder for a guy who is a jack of all trades type player to make his impact felt if he's not a big guy. But the way the league is trending maybe it doesn't matter that much anymore, I don't know.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
For me it has more to do with his style of play. Guys who are smaller than him generally have traits like elite skater, elite shot, elite stickhandling etc. I don't see that in Farabee. I think it's harder for a guy who is a jack of all trades type player to make his impact felt if he's not a big guy. But the way the league is trending maybe it doesn't matter that much anymore, I don't know.​

I have to admit that I have not seen much of this player, so my comparison is going by your description. Would Gallagher be an apt comparison?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
For me it has more to do with his style of play. Guys who are smaller than him generally have traits like elite skater, elite shot, elite stickhandling etc. I don't see that in Farabee. I think it's harder for a guy who is a jack of all trades type player to make his impact felt if he's not a big guy. But the way the league is trending maybe it doesn't matter that much anymore, I don't know.​

I have to admit that I have not seen much of this player, so my comparison is going by your description. Would Gallagher be an apt comparison?

Not really. Zach Parise is one comparison I've seen thrown around. Parise has almost 30 lbs on him at this point though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad