Confirmed with Link: LW Jamie McGinn - 3 years, $3.33m AAV

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Didn't he lead the team in goalscoring? Did any UFAs make it to market that had more goals than Doan did last season?

I don't want him with Strome at ES.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Doan in the top 6 is so bad. No reason for it. Plenty of space and options left. Let him mismatch against lesser competition on a lower line.

Actually, to start the season, I'm thinking...

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Vermette - ??
McGinn - Strome - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - White
>Dauphin

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hey guys, figured I'd give you a quick scouting report on what we saw:

Big, physical player. Not very good defensively, but not a giant liability. His best attribute his net front presence. He's ridiculously good in front of the net. Screening the goalie, tips, physical, etc... I was a bit disapointed in his cycle game, but he's not poor. Just not as good as i had hoped. The guys seemed to love him in the locker room, and Buffalo fans said the same thing about him so should be a good guy for your younger guys.

The price is a bit high, but not bad at all considering the other deals today. You'll like the player a lot this year. Well done.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We still need a 2nd line RW. Pickings are slim, but...

UFAs

Parenteau
Versteeg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Jeez, why are we relegating Doan to the bottom 6? How many second line wingers had a better year than he did last year?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Jeez, why are we relegating Doan to the bottom 6? How many second line wingers had a better year than he did last year?

If nothing else, he's not a great fit on either Strome's or Hanzal's wing and those are your top 2 Cs. Well unless something happens with Strome anyway.

I'm sure he'll play 3rd line-ish minutes 5 on 5 and move into the top 6 when he's going well. He'll get the rest of his minutes playing on the PP.

Then there's his chemistry with Richardson.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Idk if I would say Doan was a second line winger last year. He was with Martinook and Richardson for most of it. He's a third liner now. He could play with Strome and Domi if Tip wanted a vet presence but ideally he should be on the third line.

Martinook-Richardson-Doan line or McGinn-Vermette-Doan are the kind of lines he should be on. And on the PP, he's great in front of the net or winning battles to keep the puck in.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Actually, to start the season, I'm thinking...

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Vermette - ??
McGinn - Strome - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - White
>Dauphin

Doesn't look too bad but Strome needs to be getting those 2nd line minutes not Vermette...he's a 4th line player now that's just the reality of where his game is. And Doan and McGinn really shouldn't be together...they have similar styles and are both slower skaters, so having them on different lines creates a better mix for the group overall I think...

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Haha why do people keep saying this? Don't be fooled by the 28 goals guys. He had a great year but also a lot of puck luck (pucks going in off his body or pads, receiving sweet passes for open netters, lots of PP time to collect easy goals in front). The high goal total does not mean his game at 40 years old is suited for a top 6 role...he's an ideal 3rd or 4th line player than can create a mismatch against the other team. Look at PIT with their 3rd line this year Kessel-Bonino-Hagelin....that's a matchup nightmare and that's what you want. I think the line combos will all depend on how training camp and preseason go...you know Tip will experiment with all sorts of different combos and see who has the best chemistry. We could end up seeing something unexpected like,

McGinn-Strome-Duclair
Domi-Hanzal-Rieder
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
???-Vermette-White

Who knows at this point...but we definitely have a couple more holes to fill.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Idk if I would say Doan was a second line winger last year. He was with Martinook and Richardson for most of it. He's a third liner now. He could play with Strome and Domi if Tip wanted a vet presence but ideally he should be on the third line.

Martinook-Richardson-Doan line or McGinn-Vermette-Doan are the kind of lines he should be on. And on the PP, he's great in front of the net or winning battles to keep the puck in.

I thought Doan was done when the year started, but he really turned it on. If Doan plays like last year he is top six unless we sign or trade for a better player. Our right side is pretty weak.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Haha why do people keep saying this? Don't be fooled by the 28 goals guys. He had a great year but also a lot of puck luck (pucks going in off his body or pads, receiving sweet passes for open netters, lots of PP time to collect easy goals in front). The high goal total does not mean his game at 40 years old is suited for a top 6 role...he's an ideal 3rd or 4th line player than can create a mismatch against the other team. Look at PIT with their 3rd line this year Kessel-Bonino-Hagelin....that's a matchup nightmare and that's what you want. I think the line combos will all depend on how training camp and preseason go...you know Tip will experiment with all sorts of different combos and see who has the best chemistry. We could end up seeing something unexpected like,

McGinn-Strome-Duclair
Domi-Hanzal-Rieder
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
???-Vermette-White

Who knows at this point...but we definitely have a couple more holes to fill.

You will not see McGin on the first line. Training camp is going to be fun, but we still have holes to fill.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
You will not see McGin on the first line. Training camp is going to be fun, but we still have holes to fill.

I just think that if you look at most NHL teams now and the way they are setting up their line combinations, you'll notice that there aren't really your traditional 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line. The name of the game now is balance, balance, balance. If you can roll out three lines that are all almost equally as effective with a good mix of players that have complementary skills, you are then creating very real matchup problems for your opponent. The typical line structure we've seen in the league for so long is starting to disappear I think. For instance, think of McGinn-Strome-Duclair and Domi-Hanzal-Rieder not as a line one and line two, but as two equally balanced lines that both have great combinations of size, speed, and skill. If they put a guy like McGinn who can win the hard battles, create space down low and put the puck in the net from 5-6 feet and in, with the skill of a Strome-Duclair, you could see him put up some career numbers. I'm not saying that's what will happen for sure, but I think it's going to be all a matter of finding that right balance that creates as many effective lines as possible. As much as I like watching Domi and Duclair play together, on paper these lines look way more balanced to me because they are good mixes of size, speed, skill, and work ethic.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doesn't look too bad but Strome needs to be getting those 2nd line minutes not Vermette...he's a 4th line player now that's just the reality of where his game is. And Doan and McGinn really shouldn't be together...they have similar styles and are both slower skaters, so having them on different lines creates a better mix for the group overall I think...

I agree. Strome needs those 2nd line minutes, and I keep that Doan/Richardson/Martinook line together.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just think that if you look at most NHL teams now and the way they are setting up their line combinations, you'll notice that there aren't really your traditional 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line. The name of the game now is balance, balance, balance. If you can roll out three lines that are all almost equally as effective with a good mix of players that have complementary skills, you are then creating very real matchup problems for your opponent. The typical line structure we've seen in the league for so long is starting to disappear I think. For instance, think of McGinn-Strome-Duclair and Domi-Hanzal-Rieder not as a line one and line two, but as two equally balanced lines that both have great combinations of size, speed, and skill. If they put a guy like McGinn who can win the hard battles, create space down low and put the puck in the net from 5-6 feet and in, with the skill of a Strome-Duclair, you could see him put up some career numbers. I'm not saying that's what will happen for sure, but I think it's going to be all a matter of finding that right balance that creates as many effective lines as possible. As much as I like watching Domi and Duclair play together, on paper these lines look way more balanced to me because they are good mixes of size, speed, skill, and work ethic.

To have depth and to roll four lines is a real benefit, but players have their limitations on what they can do. There is no way I want Domi on the fourth line with fourth line minutes, unless he playing like crap and needs a wake up call. I really like McGinns game, but he has no business on the first line except when having a bad line change.:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I want to see Domi and Duclair's creativity matched up with Stome's vision and passing ability. As to whether it is a 1st or second line, I don't care what they are labeled. I like McGinn, Hanzal and Reider and want them to get the defensive assignment against the opponent's top line.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I want to see Domi and Duclair's creativity matched up with Stome's vision and passing ability. As to whether it is a 1st or second line, I don't care what they are labeled. I like McGinn, Hanzal and Reider and want them to get the defensive assignment against the opponent's top line.

Yeah it's a possibility...I think they'll explore all the options in camp and preseason. But like I said, I think putting Strome with Domi and Duclair is just not a great balance for the team overall. That is basically all of your top skill on the same line... in order for guys like McGinn and Rieder to really thrive they need to be playing with at least one player with that elite skill. A great line is usually a mix of size, speed, physicality, and offensive talent...putting three great offensive players together doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a great line, and it leaves the other lines with no skill players.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
To have depth and to roll four lines is a real benefit, but players have their limitations on what they can do. There is no way I want Domi on the fourth line with fourth line minutes, unless he playing like crap and needs a wake up call. I really like McGinns game, but he has no business on the first line except when having a bad line change.:)

Yeah for sure...I never said Domi would be getting 4th line minutes, that would be terrible haha. I think those two lines I was talking about would be kind of like a 1A and 1B type situation, where both lines can match up against other team's top lines...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I am 100% fine with getting Versteeg on a one or two year deal. Don't mind giving him a decent offer too. What is his market value right now for a 1 year? $3.5 M?

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Dvorak-Vermette-McGinn
Martinook-Richardson-White

McGinn can play either side, could be a good shutdown line. Who's worried about Doan slowing Strome down? the kid's no speedster, seemed to work great last year with Martinook and Richardson - a fast kid and similar speed center.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Strome and Doan need to stay away from each other. Speed concerns. Doan should be with Vermette and/or Richardson on the 4th line, ideally.

My feeling too.

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - Reider
Martinook - Richardson - Doan

Pretty good top 9

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA