Confirmed with Link: LW Jamie McGinn - 3 years, $3.33m AAV

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
To me, I like this a lot for the increased chance that it results in Dvorak starting in Tuscon.

Room on the roster isn’t being reserved for prospects – “You always have to make the team,†Chayka said. “We’re not holding any spots open†–

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Room on the roster isn’t being reserved for prospects – “You always have to make the team,†Chayka said. “We’re not holding any spots open†–

"You have to beat out a guy with a 3 year, 3million plus contract, good luck!"

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Not sure what I dislike more, the music or another glimpse of Niklas Treutle.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I like the signing, solid vet, solid in all areas, can play second or third line minutes.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I like the signing b/c my understanding is that McGinn is highly versatile. I am assuming that this means that we could wind up with him on the right side on occasion, so we'll have some ability to juggle lines, etc.

Only concern is his back, given rugged style of play.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
The way I see it is that he's a complimentary forward that can be plugged into any line, just can't be the star on said line. Think he could be a good person to pair Strome with.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As hinted at yesterday, I think I like this. McGinn - Strome - Doan should be a pretty balanced line.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As hinted at yesterday, I think I like this. McGinn - Strome - Doan should be a pretty balanced line.

Agreed. Good goal scoring vets that can also play a rough game and stick up for the kid if necessary. I do like the idea of Reider there, though. He's better defensively.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Living in LA I watched most of his games this year... He's not going to wow you but McGinn is a great net-front presence and scores a lot of ugly goals. Solid pickup by Chayka.
I like this since somebody, anybody in front of the net (well maybe not including Hanzal) would be better than what we've had.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Given the video was simply highlights, and will show a lot of goals - I was about to echo the same sentiments. Seems like he does a lot of dirty work in front of the net, and that is something that we hadn't had a lot of.

Weird comparison, b/c the players are not alike by any means, but seems eerily similar to when we signed Fiddler. Won't wow you, but always puts the work in. Tippett used to always say that if the game started slow, or a certain line needed a little fire under their butts, he would always mix Fiddler on that line b/c his energy would spread throughout the line. Hoping that is a similar case here, even though McGinn and Fiddler are two very different players.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Agreed. Good goal scoring vets that can also play a rough game and stick up for the kid if necessary. I do like the idea of Reider there, though. He's better defensively.

Try it both ways and see which one works best:

McGinn - Strome - Doan OR Rieder - Strome - Doan.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of putting McGinn with Vermette and whoever on the RW, unless it's an offensive player. Now, if we picked up a 1st line RW (doubtful), I wouldn't mind seeing a McGinn - Vermette - Duclair line.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome and Doan need to stay away from each other. Speed concerns. Doan should be with Vermette and/or Richardson on the 4th line, ideally.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

"You have to beat out a guy with a 3 year, 3million plus contract, good luck!"

And look how leaving spots open ruined our team last year! :sarcasm:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
McGinn said that he hadn't met many of the Coyotes guys and doesn't know a lot of them, but that his brothers spoke very highly of the organization (Brock said that Max was a PITA... :laugh:).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad