Value of: LW James van Riemsdyk for Top Four Defenceman

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It would be more appealing if Kadri wasn't the same style of center as Stepan and if Girardi had only 2/3 years instead of 4. A Girardi buyout next summer would cost the Leafs cap space for 6 years.

Overall this is a really tough pill to swallow without picks and prospects, but I tried it out here just for fun.

Stepan @ 3.25 ***
Grabner - 1.65
Jooris - 0.60
Staal @ 4.00 ***
Girardi - 5.50
TOTAL - 15.00

in exchange for...

J.V.R. - 4.25
Laich - 4.50
Michalek @ 3.0 ***
Polak - 2.25
Hunwick - 1.20
TOTAL - 15.20

Komarov - Stepan - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kadri - Bozak - Leivo/Brown
Martin - Holland - Grabner
X - Jooris + Griffith

Staal - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
X - Carrick + Corrado

THEN...
- waivers for Jooris/Griffith/Corrado
- Bozak (or Kadri) for winger trade
- Kadri returns to center
- hopefully Gardiner plus for Trouba

Rielly - Trouba
Staal - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
Loov - Carrick

THANKS!
that certainly was cap balanced

let's see if we can make this more appealing:
I'll concede on my last half, which I was hoping to keep available for Nash, on Girardi, down 5.5 to 3

I'll take Lupul if there are no consequences to NYR if he turns 35 during contract (assume he will be bought out in 2-3 years at opportune time and less cap consequences).

With an eye to fewer pieces, let's take Grabner, Jooris and Michalek off the table.
Would that mean Polak, Hunwick are on or off?

no time to do the math
will look forward to this recalibration
hopefully it can be more of a win win

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Uh... Matthews, Nylander, Marner will all be making probably over 5.5m by the time that contract is done. Reilly will get his raise before that too, along with any other good D they finally acquire.

Combine the cap concerns with the fact he won't be as productive as a 30+ year old powerforward, to me he just doesn't line up properly with Toronto's cup window to-be.

He's the absolute perfect asset right now minus having to protect him from vegas. Great contract, only 2 year term. They can get a large amount for him, and I think it would be an excellent idea given t he direction of the franchise.

Would also help you get another high draft pick this season. Makes Toronto a worse team if you trade him for futures and will give you a bigger chance to win the lottery or atleast get a high pick

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It would be more appealing if Kadri wasn't the same style of center as Stepan and if Girardi had only 2/3 years instead of 4. A Girardi buyout next summer would cost the Leafs cap space for 6 years.

Overall this is a really tough pill to swallow without picks and prospects, but I tried it out here just for fun.

Stepan @ 3.25 ***
Grabner - 1.65
Jooris - 0.60
Staal @ 4.00 ***
Girardi - 5.50
TOTAL - 15.00

in exchange for...

J.V.R. - 4.25
Laich - 4.50
Michalek @ 3.0 ***
Polak - 2.25
Hunwick - 1.20
TOTAL - 15.20

Kadri - Bozak - Leivo/Brown
Martin - Holland - Grabner
X - Jooris + Griffith

Staal - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
X - Carrick + Corrado

THEN...
- waivers for Jooris/Griffith/Corrado
- Bozak (or Kadri) for winger trade
- Kadri returns to center
- hopefully Gardiner plus for Trouba

Rielly - Trouba
Staal - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
Loov - Carrick

Stepan will never be traded with retention if he will be traded at all which i doubt. He is a 1b center, his cap hit is pretty accurate for what he brings.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No team in the entire league is going to help the Rangers get out from under the Girardi and Staal contracts. Shouldn't even joke about it.

And we'd need A LOT more than Josh Jorris, Derek Stepan and Michael Grabner to do it :laugh:

Any deal having Staal OR Girardi doesn't happen without Brady Skjei or Pavel Buchnevich

To take back both?

Rangers would have to be willing to give us something special.

Not Stepan, when we already have Nylander playing the wing

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Either Jonas Brodin or Matthew Dumba for JVR, in a trade.

Scandella is likely not in the discussion.

You guys are dreaming.
Scandella shouldn't be on the table, either. Don't agree with the other posters assessment of Scandella. He is our most physical Dman.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bring in Dan Giradi and make him captain in his hometown, Babs will get the most out if him. Make NYR take Cowan as well, put that drama to bed. NYR can include a young pro prospect such as ex OHL D Hughes or Donnay, or other

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Bring in Dan Giradi and make him captain in his hometown, Babs will get the most out if him. Make NYR take Cowan as well, put that drama to bed. NYR can include a young pro prospect such as ex OHL D Hughes or Donnay, or other

Toronto's not giving the captaincy to a stiff. We did that with Phaneuf but it's a different regime.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I would do that deal.

To Toronto: Dougie Hamilton
To Calgary: James van Riemsdyk + Travis Dermott

Dermott has the talent and tools to be a 2nd pairing defenceman in the NHL. He's a pretty good and safe prospect.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
We have plenty of left d and left d prospects where as Hamilton is literally our only good right handed d, and we only acquired him a year ago. Looks good this season. 0 chance Flames trade him.

It was a flames fan who asked

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Good all around D. Not brilliant in anything but has a cannon of a shot. He hadn't been using his sized consistently but small sample size this year under new coaches he's been going for hits more. I think Yeo laid good groundwork with him in forcing him to play a rigid structure, and now Stevens is encouraging him to experiment a little. IIRC he's pretty clutch--a good chunk of his points are on game winners.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Leafs D. I'd do it. There's no way our D can go on as it is, we could easily survive without JVR.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
THANKS!
that certainly was cap balanced

let's see if we can make this more appealing:
I'll concede on my last half, which I was hoping to keep available for Nash, on Girardi, down 5.5 to 3

I'll take Lupul if there are no consequences to NYR if he turns 35 during contract (assume he will be bought out in 2-3 years at opportune time and less cap consequences).

With an eye to fewer pieces, let's take Grabner, Jooris and Michalek off the table.
Would that mean Polak, Hunwick are on or off?

no time to do the math
will look forward to this recalibration
hopefully it can be more of a win win
As long as Lupul stays injured, we don't need to trade him. Contract ends in 2 summers.

Stepan @ 3.25 ***
Staal @ 4.00 ***
Girardi - @ 3.00 ***
TOTAL - 10.25

in exchange for...

J.V.R. - 4.25
Laich - 4.50
Polak - 2.25
TOTAL - 11.00

But now Leafs have 9 defensemen and we have to lose Corrado on waivers. Should add in Corrado and a cheap forward who isn't very special (Jooris?) so it's 2F+2D in exchange for 2F+2D. Unless Leafs trade a D for a forwsrd or pick to a seperate team.

Kadri - Bozak - Leivo
Martin - Holland - (Griffith/Smith)
(Griffith/Smith)

Staal - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaistev
Marincin - Girardi
Hunwick - Carrick

Waived/Traded - Corrado

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Good all around D. Not brilliant in anything but has a cannon of a shot. He hadn't been using his sized consistently but small sample size this year under new coaches he's been going for hits more. I think Yeo laid good groundwork with him in forcing him to play a rigid structure, and now Stevens is encouraging him to experiment a little. IIRC he's pretty clutch--a good chunk of his points are on game winners.

I would be pretty disappointed I'd we gave up JVR and only got Scandella back.
I think we can do much better.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As long as Lupul stays injured, we don't need to trade him. Contract ends in 2 summers.

Stepan @ 3.25 ***
Staal @ 4.00 ***
Girardi - @ 3.00 ***
TOTAL - 10.25

in exchange for...

J.V.R. - 4.25
Laich - 4.50
Polak - 2.25
TOTAL - 11.00

But now Leafs have 9 defensemen and we have to lose Corrado on waivers. Should add in Corrado and a cheap forward who isn't very special (Jooris?) so it's 2F+2D in exchange for 2F+2D. Unless Leafs trade a D for a forwsrd or pick to a seperate team.

Kadri - Bozak - Leivo
Martin - Holland - (Griffith/Smith)
(Griffith/Smith)

Staal - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaistev
Marincin - Girardi
Hunwick - Carrick

Waived/Traded - Corrado

bold = DONE!

underline: small change is copacetic
whether you keep and deal on your own or want to swap a small D for small F w/us

Jooris is doable, but we can alternatively do more pure F deadwood for D deadwood, like Tanner Glass, expiring, for ____________ on your end

pls finalize, and I will present to Ranger board

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I would be pretty disappointed I'd we gave up JVR and only got Scandella back.
I think we can do much better.

so would I. we need something more than a 2nd pairing guy with no top pairing upside if we are moving JVR.

leafs probably just revisit prior to the expansion draft. minny will likely lose spurgeon/scandella for nothing

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Na.. Prefer pick + prospect for JVR.

Teams gearing up for the expansion draft will shake loose a few top four Ds this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad