Value of: LW James van Riemsdyk for Top Four Defenceman

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
JVR is playing well, fits in with this lineup and is producing. Why can't we just extend him to a 6 year 5.5 per deal?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
m'kay. at this point Scandella is better than Dumba though. Do the leafs want to win? I was under the assumption you wanted someone who was good at the defensive side of the game.

When all their best players are under 20 years old, I highly doubt they're trying to win right now.

The better future asset is the better asset for toronto.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I really doubt Anaheim is as eager to trade Cam Fowler as some people think... He's a top pairing defenseman making 4 mil per year, his contract is perfect for their situation. He's probably worth a lot more than JVR.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If TO was willing to part with JVR for a Dman, then Fowler would have been a Leaf already.

Unless Lou would eat half of JVRs $4.25 million salary, It wouldn't work for Anaheim. Anaheim needs to shed salary and JVR makes $250,000 more then Fowler does that doesn't work. Like Spooner or Mantha for Fowler is what Bob Murray would be seeking not JVR.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gee, in most the proposed trades the Leafs are get back someone to play the LHD.
Don't the Leafs have Rielly and Gardiner playing that position. So really you're talking about a guys to replace Hunwick or Marincin.
So IMO , JVR is off the table. He's the only veteran winger with a record of goal scoring on the team.

Gonna make a trade for LHD, make it significant like Lindholm, not just a lateral move like Fowler who is going to be a UFA in two years.

To people who think the sky is falling. Last year Leafs had 68 points. This year they're on pace for 82 points. Five points in five game (yea I know it could've more).

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
JVR is playing well, fits in with this lineup and is producing. Why can't we just extend him to a 6 year 5.5 per deal?

Uh... Matthews, Nylander, Marner will all be making probably over 5.5m by the time that contract is done. Reilly will get his raise before that too, along with any other good D they finally acquire.

Combine the cap concerns with the fact he won't be as productive as a 30+ year old powerforward, to me he just doesn't line up properly with Toronto's cup window to-be.

He's the absolute perfect asset right now minus having to protect him from vegas. Great contract, only 2 year term. They can get a large amount for him, and I think it would be an excellent idea given t he direction of the franchise.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
I really doubt Anaheim is as eager to trade Cam Fowler as some people think... He's a top pairing defenseman making 4 mil per year, his contract is perfect for their situation. He's probably worth a lot more than JVR.

I can promise you the urge to trade Fowler is about 95% created by the fans and media. As you've said, his contract and production is perfect for a cup contender. He's also looks to have taken another leap this season physically. He will not be moved.

And if he is, you're right it'll cost more than JVR at this point. In the summer, the leafs may have been able to steal him in a 1 for 1 swap. Not now.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Gee, in most the proposed trades the Leafs are get back someone to play the LHD.
Don't the Leafs have Rielly and Gardiner playing that position. So really you're talking about a guys to replace Hunwick or Marincin.
So IMO , JVR is off the table. He's the only veteran winger with a record of goal scoring on the team.

Gonna make a trade for LHD, make it significant like Lindholm, not just a lateral move like Fowler who is going to be a UFA in two years.

To people who think the sky is falling. Last year Leafs had 68 points. This year they're on pace for 82 points. Five points in five game (yea I know it could've more).

Why is acquiring Fowler a lateral move?

He'd instantly become the best defenseman on the team (not saying Rielly doesn't have the upside to pass him).

Just don't see how the league's worst blueline acquiring a young top-4/top pairing guy on a good contract is "lateral". It's very non-lateral in every way.

Fowler is from Windsor. All signs point towards him signing close to home in UFA. Why not leafs?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I can promise you the urge to trade Fowler is about 95% created by the fans and media. As you've said, his contract and production is perfect for a cup contender. He's also looks to have taken another leap this season physically. He will not be moved.

And if he is, you're right it'll cost more than JVR at this point. In the summer, the leafs may have been able to steal him in a 1 for 1 swap. Not now.

I think it was the obvious choice but honestly I think it's a bad move on our side, he has been far too good, like I've said I'd rather move vats or 1 of our young guys.

I'd do stoner and a 1st for a whatever pick. Maybe something like stoner + 2nd for a lesser cap dump.

I'd be interested to see what 1 of Theodore montour or larsson could bring back in a 1 for 1 type deal to fix our forward group, most older decent prospects can easily make our forward line up.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

The thing is to make a move for a lindholm you have to be willing to pay that price, and jvr likely wouldn't be a top bid.

Fowler isn't a lateral move, it's a strong upgrade on your defense. The 2 year left is the biggest issue I'd think and you guys would be more interested in a right shot.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sorry to inform folks....Fowler is not a strong upgrade on the Leafs defence.

As I said earlier, Reilly and Gardiner are playing the LHD, yes Fowler would be a nice addition but not at the price of JVR.

Leafs defence. Leafs defence was not the worse part of their play 30th place play last year...Goal scoring was.
Right now the Leafs are playing six rookies with two new NHLers....Carrick and Zaitsev on D. So to think the Leafs Dmen are disasters and the overall defence won't get better just isn't true, well can't be truly analyzed after 5 regular season games.

Leafs will have lots of opportunities to get a good Dman or two if required next year....with UFA money or at a good trade price before expansion when most teams can only protect three Dmen.

Leafs aren't desperate. Maybe the Ducks are....20 m in three players...Kesler, Perry Getzalf. 16 m in Stoner, Vatanen, Bieska and Fowler. That's half the cap in 7 players, not including the unsigned Llindholm.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Only stipulation is that the defenceman coming back has to be relatively young (<30).

No team is going to give up a legit top 4 for JvR unless a team has an "extra" top 4 stashed somewhere. :laugh:

Perhaps you could get a guy with top 4 potential that is presently a bottom pairing guy on a deep team.

I will say, JvR's cap hit is manageable tho.

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
JVR 50% (2.125 2yrs)+Corrado/Carrick+2nd/3rd for Fowler+Stoner+Montour

How far off is Value?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I have my doubts he'd return a top four defenseman that isn't an impending unrestricted free agent.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What's Toronto'a cap situation? Salary retention for 2 years difficult?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nope. About 14 mill in potential LTIR this season and 20+ million in cap space next season (with most of the roster signed)

Cool, thanks.

I would think it's definitely in Toronto's best interest to get a longterm solution on the blue line for a guy who likely will be past his prime by the time Toronto is ready to contend.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Uh... Matthews, Nylander, Marner will all be making probably over 5.5m by the time that contract is done. Reilly will get his raise before that too, along with any other good D they finally acquire.

Combine the cap concerns with the fact he won't be as productive as a 30+ year old powerforward, to me he just doesn't line up properly with Toronto's cup window to-be.

He's the absolute perfect asset right now minus having to protect him from vegas. Great contract, only 2 year term. They can get a large amount for him, and I think it would be an excellent idea given t he direction of the franchise.

Sorry to inform folks....Fowler is not a strong upgrade on the Leafs defence.

As I said earlier, Reilly and Gardiner are playing the LHD, yes Fowler would be a nice addition but not at the price of JVR.

Leafs defence. Leafs defence was not the worse part of their play 30th place play last year...Goal scoring was.
Right now the Leafs are playing six rookies with two new NHLers....Carrick and Zaitsev on D. So to think the Leafs Dmen are disasters and the overall defence won't get better just isn't true, well can't be truly analyzed after 5 regular season games.

Leafs will have lots of opportunities to get a good Dman or two if required next year....with UFA money or at a good trade price before expansion when most teams can only protect three Dmen.

Leafs aren't desperate. Maybe the Ducks are....20 m in three players...Kesler, Perry Getzalf. 16 m in Stoner, Vatanen, Bieska and Fowler. That's half the cap in 7 players, not including the unsigned Llindholm.

I have my doubts he'd return a top four defenseman that isn't an impending unrestricted free agent.

Package deal:
Stepan reduced 6.5 to 3.25
that's your bribe

I'll eat on one of 2, so Staal is bit longer, bit more
Staal 5.75 reduced to 4

and Girardi
both these D are NMCs

in exchange,

JVR
and acceptable cap dumps
no NMCs

what names fit the bill?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Package deal:
Stepan reduced 6.5 to 3.25
that's your bribe

I'll eat on one of 2, so Staal is bit longer, bit more
Staal 5.75 reduced to 4

and Girardi
both these D are NMCs

in exchange,

JVR
and acceptable cap dumps
no NMCs

what names fit the bill?
It would be more appealing if Kadri wasn't the same style of center as Stepan and if Girardi had only 2/3 years instead of 4. A Girardi buyout next summer would cost the Leafs cap space for 6 years.

Overall this is a really tough pill to swallow without picks and prospects, but I tried it out here just for fun.

Stepan @ 3.25 ***
Grabner - 1.65
Jooris - 0.60
Staal @ 4.00 ***
Girardi - 5.50
TOTAL - 15.00

in exchange for...

J.V.R. - 4.25
Laich - 4.50
Michalek @ 3.0 ***
Polak - 2.25
Hunwick - 1.20
TOTAL - 15.20

Komarov - Stepan - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kadri - Bozak - Leivo/Brown
Martin - Holland - Grabner
X - Jooris + Griffith

Staal - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
X - Carrick + Corrado

THEN...
- waivers for Jooris/Griffith/Corrado
- Bozak (or Kadri) for winger trade
- Kadri returns to center
- hopefully Gardiner plus for Trouba

Rielly - Trouba
Staal - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
Loov - Carrick

SFD22

Mar 9, 2003
Simcoe, Ontario
Visit site
It would be more appealing if Kadri wasn't the same style of center as Stepan and if Girardi had only 2/3 years instead of 4. A Girardi buyout next summer would cost the Leafs cap space for 6 years.

Overall this is a really tough pill to swallow without picks and prospects, but I tried it out here just for fun.

Stepan @ 3.25 ***
Grabner - 1.65
Jooris - 0.60
Staal @ 4.00 ***
Girardi - 5.50
TOTAL - 15.00

in exchange for...

J.V.R. - 4.25
Laich - 4.50
Michalek @ 3.0 ***
Polak - 2.25
Hunwick - 1.20
TOTAL - 15.20

Komarov - Stepan - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Kadri - Bozak - Leivo/Brown
Martin - Holland - Grabner
X - Jooris + Griffith

Staal - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
X - Carrick + Corrado

THEN...
- waivers for Jooris/Griffith/Corrado
- Bozak (or Kadri) for winger trade
- Kadri returns to center
- hopefully Gardiner plus for Trouba

Rielly - Trouba
Staal - Zaitsev
Marincin - Girardi
Loov - Carrick

No team in the entire league is going to help the Rangers get out from under the Girardi and Staal contracts. Shouldn't even joke about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad