LW Dylan Holloway - University of Wisconsin, NCAA (2020, 14th, EDM)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Wisconsin puts him on a line with Turcotte and Caufield next season, he could go very high in the draft. It would be hard not to score a lot of points on a line with those two players.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
If Wisconsin puts him on a line with Turcotte and Caufield next season, he could go very high in the draft. It would be hard not to score a lot of points on a line with those two players.
If he gets drafted high, it’s because he’s a highly talented guy who checks all the boxes, not because he’s feeding off his linemates. That said, he should definitely benefit statistically either from playing with guys of that caliber who excel at a similar up-tempo game, or by drawing easier matchups behind them. If they do line up together, I imagine we’ll hear a lot of, “Holloway in on the forecheck...retrieves the puck and slides it to Turcotte, across to Caufield - GOAL!”

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
If he gets drafted high, it’s because he’s a highly talented guy who checks all the boxes, not because he’s feeding off his linemates. That said, he should definitely benefit statistically either from playing with guys of that caliber who excel at a similar up-tempo game, or by drawing easier matchups behind them. If they do line up together, I imagine we’ll hear a lot of, “Holloway in on the forecheck...retrieves the puck and slides it to Turcotte, across to Caufield - GOAL!”

He will be the worker and banger on that line, no doubt it....

Reactions: Dominance

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Okotoks officially out of AJHL playoffs. Holloways now available for the U18s.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
His WHL rights were traded for today by the Winnipeg Ice, who just locked up Matthew Savoie yesterday. They paid a heavy price, multiple picks including a 1st.

Sounds like he’s not going to Wisconsin. And sounds like the Ice are going to be pretty stacked.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
His WHL rights were traded for today by the Winnipeg Ice, who just locked up Matthew Savoie yesterday. They paid a heavy price, multiple picks including a 1st.

Sounds like he’s not going to Wisconsin. And sounds like the Ice are going to be pretty stacked.
I pray this is true. Looks like Krebs will have a lot of motivation through his rehab. Playing with Savoie, Holloway, an older McClennon, and more (if the slew of moves indicates anything) would be the polar opposite of what he had to work with this past season.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I pray this is true. Looks like Krebs will have a lot of motivation through his rehab. Playing with Savoie, Holloway, an older McClennon, and more (if the slew of moves indicates anything) would be the polar opposite of what he had to work with this past season.
Didn't Savoie not qualify to play up next year?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

It was a 5th rounder they gave up for him...the 1st and 2nd was conditional if he ends up coming to Winnipeg. As of now he is still committed to NCAA. He even said yesterday that he is still going NCAA as planned and not playing in the WHL unfortunately.

Never know what can happen though. Hopefully Ice can convince him to come!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensators

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Winnipeg might be building a very good team, but so is Wisconsin. Playing with Turcotte and Caufield isn’t any worse than playing with Krebs and Savoie.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow, so it seems his stock has risen since I made this thread a year ago. Where do you think he projects as a 2020 draftee right now?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Winnipeg might be building a very good team, but so is Wisconsin. Playing with Turcotte and Caufield isn’t any worse than playing with Krebs and Savoie.
Turcotte will probably play one year. It's possible Caufield does, too. Miller will be gone after next year, too.

If he plans to stay at wisconsin one year, sure, but Winnipeg might be more tempting for a two year stint.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Turcotte will probably play one year. It's possible Caufield does, too. Miller will be gone after next year, too.

If he plans to stay at wisconsin one year, sure, but Winnipeg might be more tempting for a two year stint.

He could also do a year in College then jump to the WHL the following year, probably not a 4 year college player anyways.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Possibly. Despite the talent level I'd still be hesitant to employ an all '01 born line at NCAA level.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Possibly. Despite the talent level I'd still be hesitant to employ an all '01 born line at NCAA level.
Definitely agree. He scored tonight on the PP (Caufield snuck one in short side as well). Looks like caufield was with turcotte and weissbach, a sick line.

I didn't watch the game but in practice he was skating with Ty Pelton-Byce, an older more experienced player. the 3rd player was Sean Dhooghe and Cole Caufield. Really like that mix for him, especially if we assume it's Dhooghe with him he will have every chance to put up real numbers.

Petterssonic

May 27, 2019
Vancouver
Definitely agree. He scored tonight on the PP (Caufield snuck one in short side as well). Looks like caufield was with turcotte and weissbach, a sick line.

I didn't watch the game but in practice he was skating with Ty Pelton-Byce, an older more experienced player. the 3rd player was Sean Dhooghe and Cole Caufield. Really like that mix for him, especially if we assume it's Dhooghe with him he will have every chance to put up real numbers.

I was at the game and Holloway was one of the most noticeable players. He is really fast and always around the puck, making quick smart passes to open up lanes for his teammates. He also had numerous chances to score apart from his goal and has a really great release. I will be going to the game again on Sunday and will definitely have my eye on him, it's hard not to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The point is that Holloway has the chance to be above 1PPG as a first year draft-eligible in college hockey. I believe there are only a handful or so of those players in recent NCAA history. He’s likely not hitting that playing with other players. You can try to pump up the Wisconsin secondary forwards all you want, but they are all non-prospects or the most borderline level prospects that you can be. Playing on a PP with those two and Miller would help his point production, but he’ll be helped even more playing with Caufield and Turcotte at even strength.

I’m not a Wisconsin fan nor do I have any extra reason to root for Holloway, so I don’t care either way, but it would be best for Holloway and best for scouts that want to watch the prospects on this team to put them all on a line together.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
The point is that Holloway has the chance to be above 1PPG as a first year draft-eligible in college hockey. I believe there are only a handful or so of those players in recent NCAA history. He’s likely not hitting that playing with other players. You can try to pump up the Wisconsin secondary forwards all you want, but they are all non-prospects or the most borderline level prospects that you can be. Playing on a PP with those two and Miller would help his point production, but he’ll be helped even more playing with Caufield and Turcotte at even strength.

I’m not a Wisconsin fan nor do I have any extra reason to root for Holloway, so I don’t care either way, but it would be best for Holloway and best for scouts that want to watch the prospects on this team to put them all on a line together.
Disagree about 'likely' not hitting that with other players, how much have you watched Wisconsin play? Sean Dhooghe is one of the most talented players in the country, were he a few inches taller he would have been a top 90 pick in the draft. Weissbach who seems to be with Turcotte and Caufield is a serious player. The aforementioned Pelton-Byce is no slouch, decent numbers with Harvard, and Holloway can drive plenty of play himself.

Besides, if Turcotte and Caufield are giving teams fits on one line, that means Holloway will often play the secondary group of forwards, which is even more helpful for him hitting ppg. I don't really care if he does or not, I care about if he has a good season and shows a lot, he doesn't have to hit ppg to do that.

It isn't a light forward group either, they have guys like Jack Gorniak and Roman Ahcan who should be expected to produce well enough this year, if they are with Holloway or on another line, that just means the Badgers have as many as three lines they can expect to put up points with some consistency, that helps them all in a sense. Not to mention Kaylnuk and Miller on the back-end who can make plays, join the second wave offensively, as well as a very strong defensive group meaning these forwards can really focus on scoring.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You are overselling that Wisconsin group a lot. I can’t figure out why.

No one rates those Wisconsin forwards, aside from the three big names, as having anything other than an outside chance of reaching the NHL.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
You are overselling that Wisconsin group a lot. I can’t figure out why.

No one rates those Wisconsin forwards, aside from the three big names, as having anything other than an outside chance of reaching the NHL.

Yeah that would be because I've watched them play a ton. I actually did think they were decidedly a bottom-barrel team in the big ten last year until they showed and proved that they have some fire-power down the stretch. The question isn't whether you think they are going to be big time NHLers (I don't, and no one has implied that), the question is how good are they in college hockey playing alongside Holloway.

The situation we are discussing has to do with your arbitrary conclusion that he can't hit point-per-game if he doesn't play on what would be the youngest line in college hockey. I suspect he has just as strong a chance (if not better) playing with the guys who are premier players in division 1 today (Dhooghe, Weissbach) rather than the all-potential line. It has more to do with how well his game translates to the Big Ten, which (OSU and Notre Dame not-with-standing) likely won't be the most defensively inclined conference this season anyway.

For what it's worth, I haven't said squat about anyone's NHL potential, I've only noted it ought to be a strong, cohesive (albeit young) group in college hockey, particularly from an offensive standpoint as they have a good group up front flanked by a guy who can quarterback with results + a thoroughbred in K'Andre who is tough to contain and play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad