LW Dylan Holloway - University of Wisconsin, NCAA (2020, 14th, EDM)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
4 points in 31 games. 8:44 TOI. Should he be in AHL?
I'm a big Oil fan and I see two problems...

1. until recently we had space for him in the Top 9 with good minutes. I think our coach is screwing up here and overplaying our core too much (which is funny because I'm not talking about Tippet but his progressive younger replacement)

2. he keeps taking stupid penalties

My opinion hasn't really changed... if they can't get him in top 9 (and Oil can make a great third line) with at least 12 minutes a night then AHL. He's being wasted right now.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
This guy is an overrated scrub. Big surprise, Edmonton whiffed on a high draft pick again. When you can't beat out Kailer Yamamoto for playing time you aren't much of a prospect.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He had 22 points in 33 AHL games last season. It was OK production but nothing spectacular for a 20 year old top prospect.

He has missed a ton of time due to injury and COVID.

Oilers need to do the right thing here and send him down. Devin Shore can play on the 4th line instead. This is another cautionary tale about reading too much into training camp performances.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

1. until recently we had space for him in the Top 9 with good minutes. I think our coach is screwing up here and overplaying our core too much (which is funny because I'm not talking about Tippet but his progressive younger replacement)

My opinion hasn't really changed... if they can't get him in top 9 (and Oil can make a great third line) with at least 12 minutes a night then AHL. He's being wasted right now.

Pretty much this, he is going to be fine long term but he needs to play a bigger role somewhat to develop.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pretty much this, he is going to be fine long term but he needs to play a bigger role somewhat to develop.
Thanks.. the other one is that he's development has had a lot of injuries since being drafted.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would've thought that he was strong and fast enough for the NHL. Is it his mental processing of the game that's the problem, his skills not translating to the NHL, or...?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I would've thought that he was strong and fast enough for the NHL. Is it his mental processing of the game that's the problem, his skills not translating to the NHL, or...?
I don’t think so. Once in a while he turns the puck over but that’s growing pains for most rookies.

Like others have said, if he is stuck on 4th line in nhl then the AHL is a much better option.

Reactions: Nevins

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

I've been really unimpressed with Woodcroft for his handling of it, but equally surprised Holland hasn't made the roster decision to send him down, speaking as someone not an Oilers fan but who has followed Holloway closely. There's simply no benefit to a first round pick spending his D+3 season on the fourth line playing eight minutes a night, not for the player and his development, and not for the team, even in the short-term.

Yes, a couple penalties and give-aways haven't helped those few auditions up the line-up, but he lasted less than a period of the first game in the top six coming out of pre-season. If a team like Edmonton with a chronic inability to develop and build depth is not willing to give a young player a bit more leeway early in the season, they'll never round out that roster.

This is how successful picks become development failures. While Holloway has missed time with injuries in the previous two years, his D+1 at Wisconsin was basically a best case scenario in terms of offensive growth, and his half-season in Bakersfield was very good given the layoff, better by underlying play driving and the eye test than good but not great counting stats. There's no excuse for risking that potential for eight minutes of replacement level hockey right now.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He turned the puck over for a goal against in his first shift, got benched for it, and has only now been elevated back up the lineup.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
He looks good out there, very fast, but needs to work on his consistency. If he can stick in the lineup and stay healthy I think the numbers will start to come but we're more likely looking at a third liner than a top-6 forward. He's cheap so it's still a valuable role if he can adequately fill it. I think for this year they'll want to get a veteran rental in his place at the deadline.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Every time he hits the ice I notice him and he looks so promising. Then it's either an injury or a 0 point game. He looks amazing but it's not going well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad