LW Dmitrij Jaskin (2011, 41st overall, St. Louis)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
St. Louis.
They've been drafting crazy well recently. Their top 2 picks in 2011 were Rattie (32nd) and Jaskin (41st), then in 2010 their top 2 picks were Schwartz (14th) and Tarasenko (16th). All are looking like good to great picks. Not to mention that they've also drafted Pietrangelo, Backes, Perron, Berglund, Oshie, Polak, EJ, Stempniak, Eller, Rundblad, Ben Bishop, etc. from the 2003 draft to the present, all with just two picks in the top 12 (Pietrangelo and EJ). Their only big mistake recently has been EJ 1st overall over Toews/Backstrom/Kessel/Staal, but even then they were able to turn EJ/Siemens/McClement into Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie, which isn't bad at all.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie > Toews for me personally

I was telling a friend this earlier tonight.

I'd rather have Toews over EJ, but with how good Shattenkirk has developed, Stewart looking like he'll rebound after rededicating himself to his conditioning, and Rattie putting up points at a very good clip in juniors make it a much, MUCH more difficult decision.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
They've been drafting crazy well recently. Their top 2 picks in 2011 were Rattie (32nd) and Jaskin (41st), then in 2010 their top 2 picks were Schwartz (14th) and Tarasenko (16th). All are looking like good to great picks. Not to mention that they've also drafted Pietrangelo, Backes, Perron, Berglund, Oshie, Polak, EJ, Stempniak, Eller, Rundblad, Ben Bishop, etc. from the 2003 draft to the present, all with just two picks in the top 12 (Pietrangelo and EJ). Their only big mistake recently has been EJ 1st overall over Toews/Backstrom/Kessel/Staal, but even then they were able to turn EJ/Siemens/McClement into Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie, which isn't bad at all.

Yup.

I was really worried about the departure of Jarmo, but Rattie and Jaskin look good so far.

Schmaltz is still pretty far out, so we will see on that one. Kurker as well.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
They drafted pretty damn good the last 4-5 years. They seem to be able to get at least 2 good players every year.

2012 with no first rounders they Rattie/Jaskins/Binnington. WTF.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
They drafted pretty damn good the last 4-5 years. They seem to be able to get at least 2 good players every year.

2012 with no first rounders they Rattie/Jaskins/Binnington. WTF.

Yeah, the 2011 draft looks like it is developing well for us despite no firsts. You mention Jaškin, Rattie and Binnington, but we also got Lundström, Edmundson, Veilleux and Eronen. Very early to tell, but it looks very promising.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
No, he wasn't at Peoria's camp. He hasn't signed his ELC with the Blues yet.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
another 3G + 1A :handclap:

jask.png

he's awesome :laugh:

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie > Toews for me personally

Personally I disagree plus you conveniently forgot to include that 11th overall pick the Blues gave up in your assessment. Could have yielded Sven Bartschi.

Another poster mentioned the 11th overall pick the Blues gave up:

Their only big mistake recently has been EJ 1st overall over Toews/Backstrom/Kessel/Staal, but even then they were able to turn EJ/Siemens/McClement into Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie, which isn't bad at all.

I still say that Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie > Toews/Siemens. Shattenkirk is miles ahead of Siemens, and Stewart and Rattie are two quality forwards whereas Toews is just one.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I still say that Shattenkirk/Stewart/Rattie > Toews/Siemens. Shattenkirk is miles ahead of Siemens, and Stewart and Rattie are two quality forwards whereas Toews is just one.

shattenkirk is miles ahead of siemens yes but most NHL GM's would rather have Toews, both now and long term, than Stewart and Rattie, who is still quite the project.

People often forget that while you can have alot of great forward prospects, like the Blues do, they still only have 6 top 6 spots and they are quite young there right now.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Another poster mentioned the 11th overall pick the Blues gave up:

Stewart is a two time 28 goal scorer who played like a third liner last year, Rattie has never played in the NHL and while high end isn't one of the best prospects in hockey, Toews is a top ten player in the world. Calling it two quality forwards versus one is incredibly disingenuous. And the Avalanche making a bad pick in Siemens doesn't mean the Blues would have for sure, like I noted Bartschi was available and only went a couple picks later. In the end things have worked for the Blues as they are very strong and with the butterfly effect who knows how things would work out if they drafted Toews but I still take Toews over the EJ package.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Stewart is a two time 28 goal scorer who played like a third liner last year, Rattie has never played in the NHL and while high end isn't one of the best prospects in hockey, Toews is a top ten player in the world. Calling it two quality forwards versus one is incredibly disingenuous. And the Avalanche making a bad pick in Siemens doesn't mean the Blues would have for sure, like I noted Bartschi was available and only went a couple picks later. In the end things have worked for the Blues as they are very strong and with the butterfly effect who knows how things would work out if they drafted Toews but I still take Toews over the EJ package.
I don't think any Blues fan wouldn't want Toews on the Blues. Like you said, he is a top ten player and is one of the best leaders in the game. But the Blues pride themselves more on our depth of good players than having one outstanding player. So considering the kind of depth we got with Shatty and Stewart, plus the fact we ended up with a promising prospect, is why some Blues fans would prefer what we got as opposed to drafting Toews. I'm not saying that anyone we got is better than Toews, I'm just saying that, for some, quantity can be more valuable than quality, especially if the quantity looks like it could have some decent quality as well.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I don't think any Blues fan wouldn't want Toews on the Blues. Like you said, he is a top ten player and is one of the best leaders in the game. But the Blues pride themselves more on our depth of good players than having one outstanding player. So considering the kind of depth we got with Shatty and Stewart, plus the fact we ended up with a promising prospect, is why some Blues fans would prefer what we got as opposed to drafting Toews. I'm not saying that anyone we got is better than Toews, I'm just saying that, for some, quantity can be more valuable than quality, especially if the quantity looks like it could have some decent quality as well.

Thank you... my sentiments exactly.

...Toews is a top ten player in the world.

I think that might be a bit of a stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad