LW David Levin - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2018 undrafted)

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Dude should be playing in the WC's for Israel right now lmao. He'd probably be the best player on the ice

This is an awesome story.:handclap: I don't know why more players don't do that. These kind of players can help the sport grow in their countries than try to play for countries that already have a huge pool of players to pick from.

Many soccer players do that so they can play for an international team. The USMNT has many players who are grewup abroad, like Julian Green who could have also played for Germany.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Recently watched a video about him where he explains in the summer he is on the ice 5 + days from 10 am-6 pm, really sounds like a driven kid with incredible determination, I hope he succeeds !

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Kid seems to have had a good start. 4/4/8 in 11 games. Looks like an exciting prospect to follow for the next few years.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Recently watched a video about him where he explains in the summer he is on the ice 5 + days from 10 am-6 pm, really sounds like a driven kid with incredible determination, I hope he succeeds !

Wow, seems like a great kid. Hard not to root for a guy like that. Pretty insane how far he has come in such a short amount of time compared to his peers. Makes you wonder just how good he can become in the future.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Can someone explain why David Levin can represent Canada but Daniel Sprong cannot?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Can someone explain why David Levin can represent Canada but Daniel Sprong cannot?

I don't think Levin can represent Canada at IIHF sanctioned competition. Why Sprong couldn't play at U17, I'm not sure. I think when Sprong was age-eligible for U17 they were still going under the old format, where it was regional teams. Perhaps that has something to do with it? I'm not sure if HC changed eligibility rules for the tournament when they changed the format :dunno:

finnbalor*

I'm still miffed that the one time London is coming to Sudbury all their top talent is going to the WJC camps.

But might buy season tickets to watch this kid.

Canuck71*

Great story. But where has he been? Hasn't plaed since Nov 22. Assuming its an injury but how severe is it?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Failed to notice he has taken a fair amount of faceoffs all year, can't confirm if he was playing center though.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He's going to have some tough choices coming up. Israel has mandatory military service, so once he hits 18, he either must return home to Israel and serve until he's 21, or face jail time the next time he goes home to visit.

http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2016/03/10-levin-summer-military-sudbury.aspx

Doubtful that he's granted an exemption either, other athletes from Israel have not been successful thus far.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's going to have some tough choices coming up. Israel has mandatory military service, so once he hits 18, he either must return home to Israel and serve until he's 21, or face jail time the next time he goes home to visit.

http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2016/03/10-levin-summer-military-sudbury.aspx

Doubtful that he's granted an exemption either, other athletes from Israel have not been successful thus far.

Sucks for him, going back to serve would likely ruin his career though...

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Has he applied for Canadian citizenship?

If he were a Canadian citizen could he avoid the obligation - even if it took a few years for citizenship to come through, could he at least avoid incarceration if he returned to the country (as a dual citizen) without having fulfilled his military obligations?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Has he applied for Canadian citizenship?

If he were a Canadian citizen could he avoid the obligation - even if it took a few years for citizenship to come through, could he at least avoid incarceration if he returned to the country (as a dual citizen) without having fulfilled his military obligations?
Unfortunately probably not, at best he could probably get a reduced amount of service time. As explained to me by a good friend who was Israeli but lived in Canada from age 12 to 18, its viewed as mandatory, and part of being Israeli. Definitely a difficult situation for the kid to be in, and it sucks he has to make this choice.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Unfortunately probably not, at best he could probably get a reduced amount of service time. As explained to me by a good friend who was Israeli but lived in Canada from age 12 to 18, its viewed as mandatory, and part of being Israeli. Definitely a difficult situation for the kid to be in, and it sucks he has to make this choice.

If he fails to report without an exemption he is subject to serving up to 3 months jail time... and then once that's served he would have to fulfill his military obligation. If he is granted Canadian citizenship he doesn't have to go back, but he can never return to Israel again. I guess his parents and brother would then make the move to Canada.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's a shame he isn't eligible for the 2017 draft, he will be one of the oldest players available for 2018. Literally misses the cutoff by a couple days.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
If he fails to report without an exemption he is subject to serving up to 3 months jail time... and then once that's served he would have to fulfill his military obligation. If he is granted Canadian citizenship he doesn't have to go back, but he can never return to Israel again. I guess his parents and brother would then make the move to Canada.

I'm fairly sure that there are ways that he could continue his career while also meeting the obligation for service.

Shahar Peer was a very good Israeli tennis player (top 20 in the world) who had a long career including quite a bit of success in her late teens and early 20s. She was allowed to play tournaments whenever they were scheduled, and in between tournaments or in the off-season she would serve time in the military.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levin worked out a similar arrangement. It could make it challenge to train 365 days a year like many guys do, particularly if he's not in North America for stretches of time, but it wouldn't automatically interrupt his career.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's a shame he isn't eligible for the 2017 draft, he will be one of the oldest players available for 2018. Literally misses the cutoff by a couple days.

Probably just good for him considering how late he started hockey. An extra year with no pressure and being allowed to develop slowly is a bonus IMO.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

Im Israeli. He will have no problem avoiding the army and focusing on Hockey. It is not exactly mandatory, its more of a right of passage. There are lots of people there who can get out of it, myself included. Since I didn't want to leave my home just to serve in the army i filed for exemption and accepted with no issue. My cousin, who lives in Israel, elected not to go as well.

He'll be fine, Israel is not irrational and the army duty is not the same thing as the Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad