LW David Levin - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2018 undrafted)

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Today the Sudbury Wolves announced they will be taking David Levin first overall in the OHL Draft (draft is tomorrow).

Levin was born and raised in Israel, and moved to Canada when he was 12 to pursue a hockey career.

Declared eligible for the OHL Draft instead of the import draft just a few weeks ago, a dazzling offensive player and a pretty cool story. It's quite possible we see the first Israeli player in the NHL in a few years.

His elite prospects page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=273637

A brief scouting report from OHL Central Scouting:

“David is one of the most purely gifted offensive talents in this year’s draft,” notes OHL Central Scouting Director Darrell Woodley. “He has the ability to make an opposing player look very silly and he does it with such ease. Things come very easy for him which is impressive considering he has only been playing hockey for three seasons. He is very hard to knock-off the puck as he has a strong core and low center of gravity. David is a very compact skater and has very good agility and quickness, changes gears in mid-stride, and is not afraid to challenge anyone at anytime. He has a very good shot with a quick release, is a smart player, and never seems to put himself in a bad position. Overall David has the potential to be a great player at the OHL level and the sky's the limit for him as he continues to learn and develop.

here's an iso video from thescout.ca (great site for OHL draft prospects)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Been keeping an eye on him and his team throughout the season to see how he's doing. Pretty cool for him to get picked #1 overall. Looking forward to seeing him in OHL.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
thanks for fixing the thread title

his birthday is september 16th so he misses the 2017 draft by one day

looking forward to seeing him in action next season

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
From what I've heard he's absolutely electrifying with the puck. Can't wait to see him next year.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
thanks for fixing the thread title

his birthday is september 16th so he misses the 2017 draft by one day

looking forward to seeing him in action next season

That's got to be an extra bit of good news for suffering Wolves fans, meaning he'll be in the OHL a minimum of three years before he gets a chance to make the NHL.

Like all MM players, can only go on what I read around here and Sean LaFortune's group, but needless to day Levin's a cool story and I'll be watching with intent the next few seasons.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Only playing for 3 seasons? Is that real? Impressive if true.

Wonder who he would play for nationally.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Only playing for 3 seasons? Is that real? Impressive if true.

Wonder who he would play for nationally.

Basically what it means is he will play 3 full OHL seasons before eligible for the NHL Entry Draft. Could very well be a four year player though, just depends on how much he develops and where he goes in 2018. Compared to a lot of past 1st Overall picks, that's a huge boost for Sudbury, and we've seen in the past where 3 year players like Hall can mean the difference between one championship and two. Not convinced Levin is in that category because he wasn't a surefire #1 overall but who knows.

Also wondering who he'll play for internationally. I'm going to guess, going off the recent Daniel Sprong case, he's not going to be close to eligible for Canada. He could make Israel a really fun hockey nation to watch but his talents would be wasted. So maybe Russia? It's his second citizenship per Eliteprospects.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Basically what it means is he will play 3 full OHL seasons before eligible for the NHL Entry Draft. Could very well be a four year player though, just depends on how much he develops and where he goes in 2018. Compared to a lot of past 1st Overall picks, that's a huge boost for Sudbury, and we've seen in the past where 3 year players like Hall can mean the difference between one championship and two. Not convinced Levin is in that category because he wasn't a surefire #1 overall but who knows.

Also wondering who he'll play for internationally. I'm going to guess, going off the recent Daniel Sprong case, he's not going to be close to eligible for Canada. He could make Israel a really fun hockey nation to watch but his talents would be wasted. So maybe Russia? It's his second citizenship per Eliteprospects.

His dad is Latvian and his mother is Russian and his English isn't the best, not sure which countries he would be eligible for but if I'm guessing as of right now just Isreal.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

I think what he meant was that Levin has only been playing Ice Hockey for 3 years. Before that he was playing roller hockey in Israel.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
His dad is Latvian and his mother is Russian and his English isn't the best, not sure which countries he would be eligible for but if I'm guessing as of right now just Isreal.

apparently in the process of obtaining landed immigrant status and wants Canadian citizenship and will be available to represent Canada internationally as soon as he obtains citizenship.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I think what he meant was that Levin has only been playing Ice Hockey for 3 years. Before that he was playing roller hockey in Israel.
Yes. This is what I was referring too.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
He could make Israel a really fun hockey nation to watch but his talents would be wasted.

Even at this time, Israel is a fun team to follow in IIHF tournaments as several of their players are born in Canada and are of Jewish heritage. For instance, Daniel Erlich, born in Thornhill, Ontario, played 5 seasons in the OHL and scored 219 points in 260 games, or Oren Eizenman, born in Toronto, Ontario, who played in the ECHL and in the AHL.

There are others who were born in Israel, just like Daniel Levin, but were developed in Canada and played in the CHL.

On top of everything, former Montreal Canadiens head coach Jean Perron coached the men's and the U18 national teams for several years.

dwanmaster*

Dude should be playing in the WC's for Israel right now lmao. He'd probably be the best player on the ice

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
As an Israeli and a big hockey fan, this is awesome. I hope he keeps developing and hopefully gets drafted. I would love to see Israel represented in the NHL. Its a far reach, but I'm rooting for Levin for sure.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
As an Israeli and a big hockey fan, this is awesome. I hope he keeps developing and hopefully gets drafted. I would love to see Israel represented in the NHL. Its a far reach, but I'm rooting for Levin for sure.

He looks good in orange and black.

David-Levin.jpeg

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

What sort of options do high-performance Israeli athletes have as far as military service? The standard is three years right?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I only noticed him now. Really cool that an Israeli player was drafted first overall, hope he'll suit up for the Israeli national team one day!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad