LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No score for Othmann but he did have a breakaway in OT he should have scored on. Olten still winning 6-5 in 2nd OT so the series ended today with Olten sweeping Sierre. With the semifinal series not starting until April 2nd I wonder if Othmann is gonna stay in Olten and practice with the team, play NL with Bern in the meantime or if he's gonna join the Canadian under 18 squad to prepare for the WJC18 in Texas. Gonna be interesting to see what he's gonna do, especially with talk about a potential OHL restart heating up as well.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No official confirmation from any side yet but apparently both McTavish and Othmann are gonna leave Switzerland on Friday to join Team Canada and prepare for the WCJ18 in Texas. Writing was on the wall I guess after Clarke left Slovakia a few days ago.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wrote a scouting report on Othmann. Check it out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Scouting Report: Brennan Othmann - Smaht Scouting

Excellent report. I even agree with you regarding Dallas. I've thought of the exact same thing as well. They have a history of drafting Firebirds and similar players, the latest being Dellandrea, who I also like a lot.
The only point where I disagree is skating. I like his skating. He's certainly the much better skater than McTavish' and I don't think McTavish's skating is necessarily a problem either. Maybe not what you'd expect from a top10 pick but not bad.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's a physical menace. In the pre-tourney against Finland and preliminary against Sweden, he's had probably 10+ hits. And he takes a hit to make a play too.

Othmann fits perfectly beside Wright-Guenther. Always makes the right play or will use his size to protect it and he's got a wicked wrister. Dominant off the cycle, I feel like he's a top 20 pick. If a team gets Othmann with their 2nd pick of the day, they are walking away happy from the draft.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think he's got a ton of upside but he's a player that's likely going to be a fan favourite for the team that drafts him.

Solid option in the 20-30 range, and I think the Oilers would be interested in him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think he's got a ton of upside but he's a player that's likely going to be a fan favourite for the team that drafts him.

Solid option in the 20-30 range, and I think the Oilers would be interested in him.

I'm not so sure. That's what people thought about Marchand, too. I think Othmann has sneaky upside. You can tell that his skillset needs rounding out and he needs to make better decisions, too so he's more of a project. He does have a great shot though and he's crazy about hockey. Not necessarily as dirty as Marchand but he's gonna be an absolute pest and you can tell that he wants it more than everybody else.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not so sure. That's what people thought about Marchand, too. I think Othmann has sneaky upside. You can tell that his skillset needs rounding out and he needs to make better decisions, too so he's more of a project. He does have a great shot though and he's crazy about hockey. Not necessarily as dirty as Marchand but he's gonna be an absolute pest and you can tell that he wants it more than everybody else.
We'll see. I don't know if he has the puck skills or playmaking ability to become a true top-line winger, but if a team picks up a 2-way middle-6 winger with Othmann's competitiveness and physicality in the late 1st round they should be very happy.

I think his realistic offensive upside is around 20 goals, 45 points a season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
For some reason, a lot of players seem to be desperate to hit Othmann to the head. Also been the case over in Switzerland:laugh:
Drawing a lot of penalties anyway. Two early ones again tonight in the 1st period.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
For some reason, a lot of players seem to be desperate to hit Othmann to the head. Also been the case over in Switzerland:laugh:
Drawing a lot of penalties anyway. Two early ones again tonight in the 1st period.
There's a new wave of kids and they want play like it's the 90s. Tkachuks, Wilsons, Anderson, there's more of these breeds coming.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

The story continues. Everybody hates Othmann. Two more penalties drawn already:laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The story continues. Everybody hates Othmann. Two more penalties drawn already:laugh:

He’s a pesky player. Has thrown some massive hits as well and drawn some penalties. Has some skill too.

I like what he brings to a roster.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
By far his best game. He wasn't bad previously as he was always contributing in other ways but he wasn't as efficient offensively as today. Great game by him and a beautiful goal. Good to see him finally play up to his capabilities and making the right decisions.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Having himself a game tonight. sniped one and almost scored a between the legs beauty. Also throwing his body around every chance he gets. Reminds me of a guy like Landeskog.

Well, he scored one with that move vs Sweden so he probably figured it would be worth another try.

Reactions: The Sweetness

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Really an incredible tournament from this kid - offensively, defensively, physically, those good old “intangibles” he provided the team, you name it.

I think he launched himself from a late-first, early-second level prospect to a genuine top-15 threat.
He played really well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Really an incredible tournament from this kid - offensively, defensively, physically, those good old “intangibles” he provided the team, you name it.

I think he launched himself from a late-first, early-second level prospect to a genuine top-15 threat.

His overall game was always good. He kept on hitting everything that moved, was drawing penalties, taking away pucks etc. I think he was trying a bit too hard though early on, making curious decisions with the puck like shooting from impossible angles on the PP etc. Has been an ongoing theme even back in Switzerland where he developped similar patterns after a hot start. It was only the last two games now vs Sweden and Russia when he played up to his capabilities.

Regarding the draft, I think he's pretty much a Dallas Star already. They're very likely to draft him if he's still available.

Reactions: Mercedes Benn

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
His overall game was always good. He kept on hitting everything that moved, was drawing penalties, taking away pucks etc. I think he was trying a bit too hard though early on, making curious decisions with the puck like shooting from impossible angles on the PP etc. Has been an ongoing theme even back in Switzerland where he developped similar patterns after a hot start. It was only the last two games now vs Sweden and Russia when he played up to his capabilities.

Regarding the draft, I think he's pretty much a Dallas Star already. They're very likely to draft him if he's still available.
Why Dallas in particular?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why Dallas in particular?

Their Flint connection and them drafting lots of similar players lately. They like those aggressive, high energy, hard hitting two way type of forwards with booming shots. He's probably pretty high on their list.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad