LW Brennan Othmann - Hartford Wolfpack, HL (2021, 16th, NYR)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Othmann with the GWG on the PP for Olten tonight. He has scored all of his five points this season in the last three games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Ridiculously underrated in all the mock drafts I’ve seen.

TSN does have him at #19 which is fair I'd say. He'll rise quite a bit anyway because of that move to play for Olten. Brennan owes his uncle for that one. Looking really good now, playing against men. Obviously needed some time to adjust to the wider ice, overcome the jetlag and earn the coaches trust. Now that he's rolling, he's not gonna slow down.

Also has to be said that draft rankings probably have never been worth less than this year. Some prospects will hardly get to play so the entire draft will be pretty much a shot in the dark.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Full game is on youtube. Othmann's gamewinner at 2h28mins. Nice shot but obviously from this angle that's on the goalie.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
If the OHL was playing this year, this kid would have a ton more hype. This thread would be booming. A lot of people are sleeping on Brennan.

Do you think he'd be a top 10 pick, if he was playing in the OHL right now? Just curious. I know nothing about him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If anything during this particular year and circumstances, playing in Europe against men, would only serve to boost his hype/potential.

I'd like to think so, too. I think the opportunity in Olten could bring him into the top10 eventually. But nobody knows what's gonna happen in this draft anyway.

Reactions: Trizz617

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I can't say I know enough about next years draft just yet to give an accurate answer on this.

fair enough.

He seems to be ranked as a mid-first round pick by many scouting services. I think McKenzie has him at #19, for example. I believe he is one of the top-ranked forwards from the OHL (McTavish is probably the top ranked OHL forward on most lists, fair or not). It is a weak year for OHL forwards (forwards in general, but especially OHL forwards).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
fair enough.

He seems to be ranked as a mid-first round pick by many scouting services. I think McKenzie has him at #19, for example. I believe he is one of the top-ranked forwards from the OHL (McTavish is probably the top ranked OHL forward on most lists, fair or not). It is a weak year for OHL forwards (forwards in general, but especially OHL forwards).
I don't know much about the OHL guys this year as they're not playing but I would say Power, Johnson, Beniers, Clarke, Raty are all ahead off Othmann at this point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fünfter EHCO-Sieg in Serie: Die Maschine kommt in Schwung

Othmann now at 4 goals, 2 primary assists and 1 secondary assist in 10 games. Could soon be joined by fellow top prospect Mason McTavish. The two sides apparently once again looking to make it work.

Othmann now has 6 goals and 4 assists in 12 games. Since he's on the top line with Nunn and Knelsen, Olten hasn't lost a game. 8 game winning streak and 7 of them they won in regulation. They had a slow start to the season so they're still only in 4th place in a league of 12 teams.

He's taking a lot of penalties though (10 x 2' already) and they're not really necessary ones. He's just a bit over the top sometimes. Didn't know he has such a temper. Even got into a fight lately:laugh:

Here's another 2 point game of his. Scored a nice goal after a takeaway (42:30).

Last edited:
Reactions: ktownhockey

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In a major slump, like the entire team. He's getting chances though. Still, you can tell he's frustrated. Really racking up the penalty minutes. Got into yet another fight last game. Also said that he's worked a lot on strength with his trainer lately but that's absolutely needed to play against pros. Says that guys in Switzerland mostly get the better of him but that he's still enjoying the hitting. Says that he hasn't done much of it in the OHL but is definitely looking to do more of it in the future.

Clearly doesn't have the skillset and the poise of his new teammate MacTavish but I could still see Othmann end up being the or one of the best player(s) in the 2021 draft. He's reminds me a lot of Brad Marchand. He's gonna be an abolute pest and it's only gonna get worse as he gets stronger. He's not a big guy and there are more skilled players, too but his hockey IQ and determination are off the charts. Like Marchand, he's not afraid of going up against much bigger guys and doesn't even care if he gets abused as a result of it. I think he has to control his temper much better down the line but shift by shift you can tell that he wants it more than everybody else and he's completely mad at himself if things don't go his way. Don't think he'll ever be as dirty as Marchand but Othmann is gonna get under the skin of a lot of people in the NHL.

I think part of his current problem is that he went from playing kids to juniors to men relatively quickly. He's a very well rounded player already but some stuff that he did in Don Mills or Flint just isn't possible in a pro league. He knows it, for example he noted that goalies are a lot better and defenders a lot bigger than in the OHL. It will take time for him to adjust but clearly he's got higher expectations.

Last edited:

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
In a major slump, like the entire team. He's getting chances though. Still, you can tell he's frustrated. Really racking up the penalty minutes. Got into yet another fight last game. Also said that he's worked a lot on strength with his trainer lately but that's absolutely needed to play against pros. Says that guys in Switzerland mostly get the better of him but that he's still enjoying the hitting. Says that he doesn't done much of it in the OHL but is definitely looking to do more of it in the future.

Clearly doesn't have the skillset and the poise of his new teammate MacTavish but I could still see Othmann end up being the or one of the best player(s) in the 2021 draft. He's reminds me a lot of Brad Marchand. He's gonna be an abolute pest and it's only gonna get worse as he gets stronger. He's not a big guy and there are more skilled players, too but his hockey IQ and determination are off the charts. Like Marchand, he's not afraid of going up against much bigger guys and doesn't even care if he gets abused as a result of it. I think he has to control his temper much better down the line but shift by shift you can tell that he wants it more than everybody else and he's completely mad at himself if things don't go his way. Don't think he'll ever be as dirty as Marchand but Othmann is gonna get under the skin of a lot of people in the NHL.

I think part of his current problem is that he went from playing kids to juniors to men relatively quickly. He's a very well rounded player already but some stuff that he did in Don Mills or Flint just isn't possible in a pro league. He knows it, for example he noted that goalies are a lot better and defenders a lot bigger than in the OHL. It will take time for him to adjust but clearly he's got higher expectations.

Adapting to pro league before the jump in NHL/AHL could be big for him. Struggle now so later adapting to the pros won't be as hard.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

As an indirect result of him pissing people off, Othmann got brutally hit to the head by Langenthal's Tyler Higgins who got a game misconduct and was now suspended for two games. Thankfully, Othmann seems to be okay but I'm surprised Higgins didn't get more for this one.

Also, NL-club SC Bern acquired Brennan Othmann's B-licence. Othmann will still finish the season with Olten (unless Flint needs him back earlier of course) but could potentially see NL-action either soon (SL-playoffs don't start until March 17th) or after Olten's season ends. Note that these B-licences are mostly just added depth to cover for injuries so it's not a given that he'll get into games for Bern. Also note that Bern hasn't even qualified for pre playoffs yet so though this is good news, a lot of it is still up in the air.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

As an indirect result of him pissing people off, Othmann got brutally hit to the head by Langenthal's Tyler Higgins who got a game misconduct and was now suspended for two games. Thankfully, Othmann seems to be okay but I'm surprised Higgins didn't get more for this one.

Also, NL-club SC Bern acquired Brennan Othmann's B-licence. Othmann will still finish the season with Olten (unless Flint needs him back earlier of course) but could potentially see NL-action either soon (SL-playoffs don't start until March 17th) or after Olten's season ends. Note that these B-licences are mostly just added depth to cover for injuries so it's not a given that he'll get into games for Bern. Also note that Bern hasn't even qualified for pre playoffs yet so though this is good news, a lot of it is still up in the air.

Appreciate the detailed, regular updates!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Appreciate the detailed, regular updates!

Could have added that the regular season ended sunday and that Othmann finished it with 16 points in 34 games. Fell off a cliff scoring wise but still played well. Most of the drop off probably coming from him not playing with the imports anymore (so less assists) and him not converting on his chances. Shooting percentage down do just 7,37%. McTavish was shooting at 23,68%. McTavish has a far better ratio of shots from the slot (mostly because of him playing net front on the PP while Othmann was mostly playing the half wall) but still Othmann has been unlucky a lot. There are some very good goalies playing SL (mostly top talents on farm teams or NL-players B-licences) but goaltending isn't necessarly a strength of this league. They're probably still quite a bit better than OHL goalies (as Othmann stated) but Othmann should normally score more goals.

He's also very important as an energy guy and agitator. This headshot from Higgins on Othmann was no coincidence.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Olten, after a rather shabby regular season they finished in 5th place, with a convincing 4-0 away win today in game 1 of their playoff series vs 4th placed Sierre. Olten has the much more talented and deeper team but Sierre has a very dangerous top line and the members of that top line outscored all Olten players by a lot during regular season. Sierre is also a much bigger team so this should be an interesting series going forward.

Mason McTavish kept his spot on next to the imports despite the return of Stan Horansky while Brennan Othmann stayed in his 3rd line spot as well but there's honestly not much of a drop off between the top3 Olten lines. Today lines 1+3 scored two goals each. Both McTavish and Othmann had a very strong game. Othmann scored 1 goal and an assist, McTavish an assist.

I guess there was just the payTV feed I was watching today and no free livestream but I think there could be free and legal livestreams available for the next two games (Friday, 2:45 pm ET and Sunday, 12:30 pm ET). PM me if interested and I'll send you the link as I get/find them.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
McTavish again playing with the imports, Othmann dropped to the 4th line. Seems like a strange decision after his strong showing. I think he blocked a shot late last game so he's probably either banged up or the Swedish coach is playing mind games.

The TV-broadcaster is gonna show Sunday's game 3 via Twitch if anyone's interested.

There's also a stream for today's game but it's a club feed so I don't think I'm allowed to post it but I'll be happy to send the youtube link via PM if somebody wants to watch.

Attachments

• Lineup.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
McTavish again playing with the imports, Othmann dropped to the 4th line. Seems like a strange decision after his strong showing. I think he blocked a shot late last game so he's probably either banged up or the Swedish coach is playing mind games.

The TV-broadcaster is gonna show Sunday's game 3 via Twitch if anyone's interested.

There's also a stream for today's game but it's a club feed so I don't think I'm allowed to post it but I'll be happy to send the youtube link via PM if somebody wants to watch.

Othmann actually ended up playing more than in game 1 so it wasn't a demotion. Coach swapping 3C/4C on today's lineup card which is never gonna happen so clearly just trolling the opponents:laugh:

Game 3 to start in 1h. Find the Twitch link above if you wanna watch.

Attachments

• Lineup (1).pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 1

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Todays game apparently also on Twitch, should anyone want to watch. 4mins left in the 1st period.

Reactions: Dominance

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Todays game apparently also on Twitch, should anyone want to watch. 4mins left in the 1st period.

Or is it a different game? Looks like it. Sorry:huh:
Will post the highlight video if there's anything of interest:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad