LW Brayden Tracey - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2019, 29th, ANA)

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Excited to see how he does as well. I think a lot of Ducks fans got down on him for his play in the AHL when the reality is that the AHL is a tough league for a teenager to do well in and he's a bit of a late bloomer and on a completely different development track than say Jacob Perreault who seemed to adjust a bit easier. Hoping for a big year for him in Victoria.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Excited to see how he does as well. I think a lot of Ducks fans got down on him for his play in the AHL when the reality is that the AHL is a tough league for a teenager to do well in and he's a bit of a late bloomer and on a completely different development track than say Jacob Perreault who seemed to adjust a bit easier. Hoping for a big year for him in Victoria.

I still think he has one of the highest offensive ceilings of that entire draft class, which is saying a lot. Think he was always a bit of a project, it’s way too soon to write him off. He’s definitely still got time on his side and theyave no need to rush him. Def could be a late bloomer.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He was playing through a injury he probably shouldn't have been which was nagging him through most of his time in Victoria and effected his play somewhat. He'll still have to perform in Victoria when healthy like he did in MJ but I'm expecting a top 6 forward out of him in the nhl. Ducks seem to like to slow play their young talent so he'll likely spend some time in the ahl but tbh should likely go straight to the nhl from juniors. Points depend largely on pp time but a 40-50ish point 2way winger if he gets the expected 2nd line, 2nd pp role with some pk time also

Would love to see him eventually with Zegras and Comtois on that 1st line and pp1.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He is very far from having the NHL level. It's even possible that he doesn't reach NHL level.

Unfortunately I think this is probably the most likely scenario at this point. Seems like he never recovered from the injury he had in late 2019. Hasn't been the same player since then.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He is very far from having the NHL level. It's even possible that he doesn't reach NHL level.

At 19, with one of the higher ceilings of any non nhl prospect, and a solid two way game, I think this level of pessimism is yet unwarranted. Sure, s injury pushed back his timetable, but he still has talent and time on his side. Whether a late bloomer, or just slow to acclimate, thevkids still got a promising future. WAY TOO soon to write him off.

I think at worst he ends up a middle 6 player. He might not even achieve until he’s like 22 which wouldn’t at all be out if the oytdinary.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
At 19, with one of the higher ceilings of any non nhl prospect, and a solid two way game, I think this level of pessimism is yet unwarranted. Sure, s injury pushed back his timetable, but he still has talent and time on his side. Whether a late bloomer, or just slow to acclimate, thevkids still got a promising future. WAY TOO soon to write him off.

I think at worst he ends up a middle 6 player. He might not even achieve until he’s like 22 which wouldn’t at all be out if the oytdinary.

I struggle to justify your extreme bullishness. I want Tracey to succeed too. But I cannot agree with you on your high cieling/guarenteed NHLer assessment.

19 year old players with a high cieling and a worst case floor of middle 6 NHLER are either dominating their current league or are already in the NHL.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Looks like a guy who didn't fully recover from his shoulder injury last year. I want to believe that his lack of success in junior the last couple years was the byproduct of playing for some very bad teams, but watching him in San Diego, it was evident that he was miles behind Jacob Perreault on his own team (one year behind him in development) and several others who are in his same draft class.

I'm not as down on him as some others are, but he has an uphill climb to make it to the NHL for sure.

Reactions: Static

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's one thing to talk about a player's potential but it's quite another to talk about his actual performance. I haven't seen a single positive comment about his play this year in either the AHL or WHL. That is a massive red flag.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I questioned the pick then, and I’m disappointed at the pick now. The Ducks could’ve had anyone else like Kaliyev, Höglander, or Niemela.

I get that he was injured, but I don’t see any evidence proving why he was such a ‘rapid riser’ during the end of his draft year.

unless he makes me eat my words, what a swing and a miss by Anaheim.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I questioned the pick then, and I’m disappointed at the pick now. The Ducks could’ve had anyone else like Kaliyev, Höglander, or Niemela.

I get that he was injured, but I don’t see any evidence proving why he was such a ‘rapid riser’ during the end of his draft year.

unless he makes me eat my words, what a swing and a miss by Anaheim.

Cough Pinto Cough

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Cough Pinto Cough
Liked Pinto from the WJC's, he's really an intriguing player.
It just shows that contrary to many beliefs, Ducks are quite poor at drafting F's. We have been really good with Dmen and even Goalies tho.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I struggle to justify your extreme bullishness. I want Tracey to succeed too. But I cannot agree with you on your high cieling/guarenteed NHLer assessment.

19 year old players with a high cieling and a worst case floor of middle 6 NHLER are either dominating their current league or are already in the NHL.

Thats quite a fallacious assumption. And thats just not true across the board. Sure, there are some that do take the path you suggested. But that’s just one of many paths. Tracey is so young. He just turned 20 at the end of May.

Expecting him or most any prospect to be “dominating their current league” or “already in the NHL” is ludicrous. There’s some confirmation bias and sample bias growing strong in this thread.

Some prospects don’t even break out until their like 25. Those are late bloomers. 19 year old, still a teenage prospect. And only a very small percentage “dominate” adult leagues, which include the AHL. A league he only played 12 games in.

And he was over a PPG every WHL season, until this pandemic season, where he played just 22 games and got 21 points. Basically a PPG in a year where who knows what was going on in his life. Better players have had slumps longer than that. There’s nothing here to worry about yet except lofty expectations and wacky assertions with no baring in tihe real world. For every one prospect that “dominates” their first year playing against adults there’s probably 10 equally talented players who don’t. And those players often do become terrific nhl players eventually.

Also, his WHL team this year was the worst in the league. Last year he played half the season for another terrible team and half the year for a decent team and was still over PPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Thats quite a fallacious assumption. And thats just not true across the board. Sure, there are some that do take the path you suggested. But that’s just one of many paths. Tracey is so young. He just turned 20 at the end of May.

Expecting him or most any prospect to be “dominating their current league” or “already in the NHL” is ludicrous. There’s some confirmation bias and sample bias growing strong in this thread.

Some prospects don’t even break out until their like 25. Those are late bloomers. 19 year old, still a teenage prospect. And only a very small percentage “dominate” adult leagues, which include the AHL. A league he only played 12 games in.

And he was over a PPG every WHL season, until this pandemic season, where he played just 22 games and got 21 points. Basically a PPG in a year where who knows what was going on in his life. Better players have had slumps longer than that. There’s nothing here to worry about yet except lofty expectations and wacky assertions with no baring in tihe real world. For every one prospect that “dominates” their first year playing against adults there’s probably 10 equally talented players who don’t. And those players often do become terrific nhl players eventually.

Also, his WHL team this year was the worst in the league. Last year he played half the season for another terrible team and half the year for a decent team and was still over PPG.

Sounds like you just don't appreciate how extremely optimistic it is to call a ppg overage whler a "middle 6 player" at worst.

It's also incredible to me that you are the one calling him a guarenteed nhl top 6, after never dominating a junior league, but I sound ludicrous to you.

Very extreme reaction to go along with your extreme prediction. I'm seeing a trend.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Sounds like you just don't appreciate how extremely optimistic it is to call a ppg overage whler a "middle 6 player" at worst.

It's also incredible to me that you are the one calling him a guarenteed nhl top 6, after never dominating a junior league, but I sound ludicrous to you.

Very extreme reaction to go along with your extreme prediction. I'm seeing a trend.

Getzlaf was just 3 points over ppg in his draft+2 season in the WHL after having a great season in draft+1. circumstance can be huge and tracey played for 2 of the lower scoring team in the league the past 2 seasons. He still managed to lead victoria and moosejaw in points.

Would be nice to see him score a bit more in the A though.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

This year wasn't Tracey's overage season it was his 19 year old season. And he didn't have a statistically dominant year over 24 games for the worst team in the WHL, but he still led them in scoring like he led Moose Jaw in scoring last season and then led the Royals in points per game after being acquired last season. There's context here that he's been playing for bad teams since being drafted yet is still the top guy offensively (yes i know Victoria was a good team last year but it had to do with playing a tight defensive system, they were one of the lowest scoring teams in the WHL prior to the trade).

Reactions: brakeyawself

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Getzlaf was just 3 points over ppg in his draft+2 season in the WHL after having a great season in draft+1. circumstance can be huge and tracey played for 2 of the lower scoring team in the league the past 2 seasons. He still managed to lead victoria and moosejaw in points.

Would be nice to see him score a bit more in the A though.

As my first comment indicated I am a big Tracey fan. His worst case is not middle 6. His worst case is still zero games in the NHL.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
As my first comment indicated I am a big Tracey fan. His worst case is not middle 6. His worst case is still zero games in the NHL.

Yea, that’s literally every prospect ever drafted or undrafted, worst case scenario.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Um what? How is your reading comprehension? I never said any of that. Extreme reaction? Guaranteed top 6? I Never said those things or anywhere close. Nor did I react or predict in any extreme way. ROFl where? Now you truly do sound ludicrous. REsponding to a comment without even reading it... The only trend I see is you imagining things I never said. ANd I said hes likely no worse than middle 6, not that he can’t bust.

And I do find it funny your pessimism doesn’t like optimism. But don’t take that out on Tracey. IF he busts he busts, just like any other prospect. But that’s doesnt seem likely. Do you know what probability is?

Maybe you just enjoy stating the obvious, that every prospect ever could have not been an nhl player.
THat says nothing specific to Tracey.

But anyway, his first two seasons in WHL were very good. And there’s no reason yet to assert his chances have changed due to your very subjective and particular criteria. Especially based off of some fantasy domination expectation. That’s not an actual metric for future success in the way you seem to think it is. It’s not a thing and stat production is relative to the context and situation a player is in , not just his individual talent. YOUR criteria is terrible for critiquing prospects. But that doesn’t matter because he was still very good in the WHL. Your lofty expectations are fantasyland.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
So awesome seeing almost all our kids playing well. Major props to the Ducks management, coaching and development teams.

Really excited about all these players: Tracey, Zellweger, Perreault, Thrun, Dostal, Pastujov, Tschigerl all I feel were and are underrated.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Well he had a decent chance early in his debut as well as a couple nice passes. Although I don’t think he really played at all if ever in the third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad