LW Brayden Tracey - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2019, 29th, ANA)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He's in on something like 70 percent of his team's points (when he's playing), unfortunately, his team doesn't score much.

Reactions: Dominance

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Victoria is a much better team than Moose Jaw, and should make the playoffs, but their strength is on defense. Brayden is going from the 3rd worst offensive team in the league to the 5th worst, which is a little disappointing. It would have been nice to see him head to one of the offensive powerhouses (MH/Leth/Edm) that have scored nearly twice as many goals as moose jaw/Victoria.

Oh well, at least he got out of MJ.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Victoria is a much better team than Moose Jaw, and should make the playoffs, but their strength is on defense. Brayden is going from the 3rd worst offensive team in the league to the 5th worst, which is a little disappointing. It would have been nice to see him head to one of the offensive powerhouses (MH/Leth/Edm) that have scored nearly twice as many goals as moose jaw/Victoria.

Oh well, at least he got out of MJ.

I actually think it's a worse situation in terms of his offensive production. His C in Victoria is going to be worse. :laugh:

The good news like you said is he's going to get some playoff experience. And as much as this might hurt his offensive development, especially since Victoria didn't really add anything else this TDL, he's going to continue to grow his defensive prowess. I think that's one of the reasons Victoria went after him. He's a very good 2 way player.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As a Ducks fan I`m ok if he goes to a defensive minded team as long as he`s on a scoring line

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Can't believe Kelowna didn't go after him harder. They don't have a ton left in the cupboards, but they are going to get slapped around, badly, in the Mem Cup with this current roster. Tracey should be a very welcome addition in Victoria though, they have struggled to score this season.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was surprised other teams didn't go all-in for him, Portland, Kelowna or Everett should've gone all-in on him.

Wonder what's wrong with Moose Jaw, that team looked good with the youngsters on that team.

With that being said, Tracey is bound to bring tons of firepower to the Royals offense. Think he's bound to be a solid NHL left wing, he and Trevor Zegras could be the next Perry/Getzlaf. Zegras having amazing playmaking abilities and Tracey having the excellent finish.

Reactions: Dominance

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Can't believe Kelowna didn't go after him harder. They don't have a ton left in the cupboards, but they are going to get slapped around, badly, in the Mem Cup with this current roster. Tracey should be a very welcome addition in Victoria though, they have struggled to score this season.

They did their shopping in early December. They picked up some good 20 year old players like Wedman, Mattson, and McDonald. The weird thing from an outsiders perspective is they paid a '21 1st and 3rd or something for McDonald and a '23 1st for Wedman who they'll have for this year and thats it as 20 year olds, when they probably could have paid something similar for Tracey. Thing is though, these WHL GM's don't care about NHL potential, they're just going after dominant 20 year olds who'll win games and put butts in the seats for this season, and that's exactly what those 3 are. Wedman's a great WHL player and right now he's probably better at the WHL game than Tracey if that makes sense.

Their team is looking decent on paper. Not sure how they'll stack up quite yet but they have a lot of good players. Foote, Novak, Kork, Hamaliuk are all solid NHL calibre prospects, Basran has the ability to be really good in net, and then they have a bunch of 20 year olds. I think the bigger issue is coaching, but that's a different story.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
A pretty cool video. You dont usually see this type of thing with junior teams...

Behind the scenes with the Royals at the 2020 WHL Trade Deadline – WHL Network

Brings me back. Won't say which one, but I still remember a GM eating a sandwich while negotiating a trade on TDL mortgaging his future, half the sandwich spills out onto the table, everyone is just dead silent, and the GM goes, "Lets do it." It was like out of the office or something, and would go on to be one of the worst moves he'd make. Sad thing is, at the time, I was in agreement with the deal, and thought it was good for the org.

Watching the 2nd Portland game, I still think they're 1 offensive player short lol. Tracey has no one to play with. It was funny during that video that they slot him into the 2nd line spot.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
They did their shopping in early December. They picked up some good 20 year old players like Wedman, Mattson, and McDonald. The weird thing from an outsiders perspective is they paid a '21 1st and 3rd or something for McDonald and a '23 1st for Wedman who they'll have for this year and thats it as 20 year olds, when they probably could have paid something similar for Tracey. Thing is though, these WHL GM's don't care about NHL potential, they're just going after dominant 20 year olds who'll win games and put butts in the seats for this season, and that's exactly what those 3 are. Wedman's a great WHL player and right now he's probably better at the WHL game than Tracey if that makes sense.

Their team is looking decent on paper. Not sure how they'll stack up quite yet but they have a lot of good players. Foote, Novak, Kork, Hamaliuk are all solid NHL calibre prospects, Basran has the ability to be really good in net, and then they have a bunch of 20 year olds. I think the bigger issue is coaching, but that's a different story.
They traded Mattson away, not added him. This truly isn't a Memorial Cup hosting roster imo.
Coaching may be an issue but it's better than it was under Smith.

Topping has been hurt since October so getting him back will be like a deadline acquisition but overall this team just isn't very good. Unless Foote goes to another level in the tournament I think they're going to struggle. Basran is definitely capable in net but seems to want to make a big save everytime instead of just making the save. I don't go to many games, maybe half a dozen the last 3 years and I've seen him get pulled twice. There is talent within Basran, its just a matter of which Basran shows up come Memorial Cup time.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Can someone who watched Tracey in junior this year give me a somewhat decent projection of what he could be in the NHL? I always heard that he was a fast riser during his draft year, but then his development plateaued...?

Martin Madden (Ducks AGM) mentioned he was playing on a offensive-deficient team, so I figure it would hinder his development a bit. It seems like some Ducks fans are split on what he *could* be.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Can someone who watched Tracey in junior this year give me a somewhat decent projection of what he could be in the NHL? I always heard that he was a fast riser during his draft year, but then his development plateaued...?

Martin Madden (Ducks AGM) mentioned he was playing on a offensive-deficient team, so I figure it would hinder his development a bit. It seems like some Ducks fans are split on what he *could* be.
Also curious. Lots of people seem to think his game fell off after the trade which led to his decrease in scoring, but I'm curious to hear what someone who's actually watched him thinks

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

I mean he had the highest pt/gm on moose jaw, a team that only had 2 other players over 30 points over the entire season (even after he left), so he wasn't getting any help at all there and he had a lot more help the season before playing with two overagers who had over 110 points each. 38 points in 28 games, which in a full season would have put him at 86 points in 63 games and top 10 in WHL scoring. That sounds quite good to me, tbh.

Not as quick to adjust to Victoria ONLY going point per game. Victoria (5th worst out of 22 teams for goal scoring) was also one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, but had a few more options than moose joke (3rd worst).

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he pans out I see a Jaden Schwartz like player

Reactions: EXTRAS

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Also curious. Lots of people seem to think his game fell off after the trade which led to his decrease in scoring, but I'm curious to hear what someone who's actually watched him thinks
He was playing through a injury he probably shouldn't have been which was nagging him through most of his time in Victoria and effected his play somewhat. He'll still have to perform in Victoria when healthy like he did in MJ but I'm expecting a top 6 forward out of him in the nhl. Ducks seem to like to slow play their young talent so he'll likely spend some time in the ahl but tbh should likely go straight to the nhl from juniors. Points depend largely on pp time but a 40-50ish point 2way winger if he gets the expected 2nd line, 2nd pp role with some pk time also

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Can't wait to see him back in Victoria for the remainder of the year. A treat to watch!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad