Lupul

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Im running out of patience with Lupul and his halfassed backchecking.

Look at the first two Ranger goals and the Richards goal. Pathetic.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's an excellent top 6 forward going through a very minor slump. Leafs fans are insanely bipolar, Lupes is a talented player, a leader, and clearly a big contributor on our team.

It's not even like he's getting insane money, same $5.25 mil cap hat as David Clarkson, and less term too - Lupes got 5 years while Clarkson got 7. Plus we got him for basically nothing, he's been exceptionally good considering we got him basically as a throw-in on a deal that seemed to be mostly Beauchemin for Gardiner at the time. He's not a superstar, and people shouldn't expect him to be, but he's a very good top 6 forward.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
He's an excellent top 6 forward going through a very minor slump. Leafs fans are insanely bipolar, Lupes is a talented player, a leader, and clearly a big contributor on our team.

It's not even like he's getting insane money, same $5.25 mil cap hat as David Clarkson, and less term too - Lupes got 5 years while Clarkson got 7. Plus we got him for basically nothing, he's been exceptionally good considering we got him basically as a throw-in on a deal that seemed to be mostly Beauchemin for Gardiner at the time. He's not a superstar, and people shouldn't expect him to be, but he's a very good one dimensional top 6 forward.

fixed.

For a team struggling with defence, all the non-backcheckers need to be looked at, especially the ones who are given lots of minutes.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009

It's not even like he's getting insane money, same $5.25 mil cap hat as David Clarkson, and less term too - Lupes got 5 years while Clarkson got 7. Plus we got him for basically nothing, he's been exceptionally good considering we got him basically as a throw-in on a deal that seemed to be mostly Beauchemin for Gardiner at the time. He's not a superstar, and people shouldn't expect him to be, but he's a very good top 6 forward.

Lupul is a very good offensive power forward scorer with size. He doesnt do much hitting or defensive work, but he is good at almost all facets of the game otherwise. Stickhandling shooting passing hockey IQ etc.

He is a solid addition on the second line behind JVR, and is signed to a reasonable rate of 5.25m to bring solid second line scoring and leadership. I REALLY like lupul on this team.

That being said, we do have a number of centers. Kadri would probobly play better at wing with the addition of holland and bolland coming back from injury. I would happily move lupul for a defenseman to solidify our defensive corp.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Bipolar doesn't apply to Lupl in this case. Guy gets way too much rope while other players are put under a microscope. Lupul may be going through an offensive slump but there are deficiencies to his game that get no attention because its apparently more important to complain about every mistake that our captain mistakes despite the good that comes along with his game. It's more important to talk about Kessel's lack of defense despite his defence not being that much worse than Lupul's...but Lupul can take and deliver a hit so apparently that makes him a good two way player. Or the crap a young and improving Gardiner suffers each time he makes a mistake. Even this thread only as a handful of people willing to call ou Lupul on his flaws and performances. Criticism doesn't mean that Lupul isn't a contributor to the team but its about high time that people are willing to be honest and not act like a bunch of fan girls who think he's too pretty to critique.

Polo*

wow lupul goes through a bit of a slump when hes been playing with lesser players and all of the sudden he sucks and people jump on the wagon

SOME of you leaf fans are disgusting. Id even go as far as to say you have no friends in real life if you get so quickly annoyed with people. Hes been great since coming here.

Hate on kadri because hes been beyond terrible, franson and the rest of the defense because its the same old story....but Lupul?

You guys are using oxygen that others in third world countries could use.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
wow lupul goes through a bit of a slump when hes been playing with lesser players and all of the sudden he sucks and people jump on the wagon

SOME of you leaf fans are disgusting. Id even go as far as to say you have no friends in real life if you get so quickly annoyed with people. Hes been great since coming here.

Hate on kadri because hes been beyond terrible, franson and the rest of the defense because its the same old story....but Lupul?

LOL Lupl was on the ice for 3 GA(all 3 were halfassed backchecking by him) last game and made a terrible give away on an attempted pass to Rielly in the Ozone in the first period that lead to a break for the Rangers.

There have been a ton of examples this season. There is a reason he is a -12, worst of our forwards. He is not a kid, he is a old hard faced donkey vet who can't or wont backcheck.

What is wrong with people who can't see what is right infront of them?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think Lupul is a fine player. The problem is that he isn't complementing Kadri. In fact, I don't even think he would be able to compliment Kessel well now that we're figured out. Point being, if we're going to be banking on Kessel and Kadri, we'll need to surround them with guys who can play a more involved brand of hockey.

Trade Lupul for a good return and acquire Andrew Ladd. I'm certain that the Ladd - Kadri pair would perform very similar to the Benn - Seguin pair. I think if we could draft someone like Anthony Mantha, Kadri would be much better supported.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Bipolar doesn't apply to Lupl in this case. Guy gets way too much rope while other players are put under a microscope. Lupul may be going through an offensive slump but there are deficiencies to his game that get no attention because its apparently more important to complain about every mistake that our captain mistakes despite the good that comes along with his game. It's more important to talk about Kessel's lack of defense despite his defence not being that much worse than Lupul's...but Lupul can take and deliver a hit so apparently that makes him a good two way player. Or the crap a young and improving Gardiner suffers each time he makes a mistake. Even this thread only as a handful of people willing to call ou Lupul on his flaws and performances. Criticism doesn't mean that Lupul isn't a contributor to the team but its about high time that people are willing to be honest and not act like a bunch of fan girls who think he's too pretty to critique.

Kessel and Phaneuf are on longer contracts for over 2.5 mil more. They should have less rope. Just like others signed on 1-2 million deals get more than he does.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Is it time to explore trading Lupul to a contender at the deadline?

We might be able to cash in on a high draft pick and a solid prospect.

His cap hit is $5.25M, and, at 30 years old, will he still be a major contributor when, and if, our Leafs are ready to contend in a few years?

Let's be real, he has a problem staying healthy, is prone to going quiet for stretches at a time, and, can be a somewhat weak at times defensively.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lupul, but, really, can he stay healthy, productive, and suspension free, until we are ready to contend?

I would only trade Lupul if the return is strong and helps our team now and in the future.

mikebel111*

I think Lupul is a fine player. The problem is that he isn't complementing Kadri. In fact, I don't even think he would be able to compliment Kessel well now that we're figured out. Point being, if we're going to be banking on Kessel and Kadri, we'll need to surround them with guys who can play a more involved brand of hockey.

Trade Lupul for a good return and acquire Andrew Ladd. I'm certain that the Ladd - Kadri pair would perform very similar to the Benn - Seguin pair. I think if we could draft someone like Anthony Mantha, Kadri would be much better supported.

100% agreed here

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

Lupul? Is that you? :laugh:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The problem with the Kadri - Lupul line currently is that Raymond is forcing Lupul to play the RW. His RW struggles are well-documented, he needs to be on LW to be most effective.

Plus Raymond sucks so there's that. The 2nd line should have Lupul on the left and either Clarkson or Kulemin on the right.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Kessel and Phaneuf are on longer contracts for over 2.5 mil more. They should have less rope. Just like others signed on 1-2 million deals get more than he does.

Give me a break. Kessel and Phaneuf have gotten intense scrutiny long before they signed those contracts that you're trying to use as a lame justification for the bias for Lupul. And if you want to use contract as an excuse, please explain why Gardiner or Ranger gets so much ****?

There is a favouritism toward Lupul for whatever reason that it seems you can't ever give him criticism him without someone acting like they're his mother and getting offended. Do you see people calling for his head and asking to ship him out? No, people are assessing his performances as the season is progressing. Why the **** is that a crime? We do it for Bozak, Kessel, Phaneud, Franson, etc. but a player discussion about Lupul is only acceptable if you only have good things to say about him and his performances...which is probably why this thread is only 2 pages long.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm sure this will offend some but, can someone provide me a few reasons why Lupul gets described as a great leader around here?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm sure this will offend some but, can someone provide me a few reasons why Lupul gets described as a great leader around here?

Why would it offend, just a question. From a fan perception: Vocal, steps up game when the team stinks, seems like he has good morals.

Hard to distinguish more than that.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
He's a second line winger on this team. Most second line wingers live and die by their second line center. Kadri has been garbage as well. Holland needs to be put on the second line with Lupul in my opinion.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Give me a break. Kessel and Phaneuf have gotten intense scrutiny long before they signed those contracts that you're trying to use as a lame justification for the bias for Lupul. And if you want to use contract as an excuse, please explain why Gardiner or Ranger gets so much ****?

There is a favouritism toward Lupul for whatever reason that it seems you can't ever give him criticism him without someone acting like they're his mother and getting offended. Do you see people calling for his head and asking to ship him out? No, people are assessing his performances as the season is progressing. Why the **** is that a crime? We do it for Bozak, Kessel, Phaneud, Franson, etc. but a player discussion about Lupul is only acceptable if you only have good things to say about him and his performances...which is probably why this thread is only 2 pages long.

I'm only citing contracts from my perspective, I don't give flak to Gardiner and Ranger because they don't make as much and play less roles. Just like I don't rip on McClement and suggest he should be traded for being an "offensive black hole". Don't throw someone else's complaints in my face and call it an argument. For the record I have said we should trade Lupul in the past. He's made of glass and crappy defensively. That said, he's a roughly a PPG player (last 2 seasons, mind you he was injured. And this year he was at the beginning before his struggles) which is more than can be said about most of our offense.
You need to chill out a bit man.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad