Pre-Game Talk: Luongo Returns: An Appreciation Thread || January 8th 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
You guys are going to roll out the red carpet for a guy that asked to be traded? Have some pride.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Thanks for this TPM.

I see we've barely made two pages and there's already false information and underappreciation. I guess that's fitting.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
*cough completely different circumstances cough*

Bure was treated pretty poorly and arguably deceitfully by the organization.

hey there, BC place game where the canucks decided to start eddie lack instead, which PO'd luongo...nice to meet ya

edit..i also wouldn't describe scurr's feelings as having pride. it's actually more of a grudge.

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
You guys are going to roll out the red carpet for a guy that asked to be traded? Have some pride.

Some pride for a guy who was, without question, the best goaltender to ever strap on pads for the Canucks? Who handled a horrible situation with humour and class?

He wasn't perfect by any means, but he was, by all accounts, a great teammate and a terrific Canuck.

I, for one, am proud to roll out the red carpet for someone like Lou.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
*cough completely different circumstances cough*

Bure was treated pretty poorly and arguably deceitfully by the organization.

Hmm...

So... lemme guess.. you were opposed to the Torts firing because you felt that Torts was an excellent coach and even better people manager?

And you supported his decision to spit in our franchise goalie's eye, cause a goalie controversy where there was none, start Eddie Lack because Eddie gave us the best chance to win at the Winter Classic.

Regardless of what the people of Vancouver wanted and regardless of the clustereff of Gillis/Luo/Schneid a couple years back.

Right?

:shakehead

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Luongo will always be one of my favourite players. I was floored that he wasn't given the Heritage Classic game. :rant: My loyalty to this team was shaken for the first and only time in my life.

Hoping for a 1-0 shootout win, double shutout for him and Eddie and 2 points for the Canucks.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
*cough pavel bure cough*

let it go

I will eventually. This is way too soon.

Some pride for a guy who was, without question, the best goaltender to ever strap on pads for the Canucks? Who handled a horrible situation with humour and class?

He wasn't perfect by any means, but he was, by all accounts, a great teammate and a terrific Canuck.

He was a great player. No doubt. When he said "I just want to do what's best for the team" when saying that is the worst possible thing he could do for the team I question the integrity of the player. He wanted what was best for him. That's fine but don't vail it with lies.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I will eventually. This is way too soon.

He was a great player. No doubt. When he said "I just want to do what's best for the team" when saying that is the worst possible thing he could do for the team I question the integrity of the player. He wanted what was best for him. That's fine but don't vail it with lies.

here's the thing..

players have public personas, and they have private personas.

the sooner you can understand that the two personas rarely mesh, the sooner you'll be able to stop holding a grudge and realize that professional sports is a business and these are independent contractors trying to get paid.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
here's the thing..

players have public personas, and they have private personas.

the sooner you can understand that the two personas rarely mesh, the sooner you'll be able to stop holding a grudge and realize that professional sports is a business and these are independent contractors trying to get paid.

I know all about that. I choose to do business with people that show integrity, too. I'm not holding hockey players to a higher (or lower) standard then I would anyone else.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I know all about that. I choose to do business with people that show integrity, too. I'm not holding hockey players to a higher (or lower) standard then I would anyone else.

then why are you accusing luongo of lying lol?

if you understand what comes out in the public isn't always the same as what the truth is, why hold a grudge?

it's whatever, tho. can't argue with the way you feel.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
then why are you accusing luongo of lying lol?

if you understand what comes out in the public isn't always the same as what the truth is, why hold a grudge?

it's whatever, tho. can't argue with the way you feel.

He did lie. Why would having two personas excuse him for it?

I'm fine if he wants to keep his private life private. Say "I want a trade for private reasons" and nobody will pry. Eventually they'll get over it, like they did with Pavel.

Lundface*

To be fair, he created that situation by asking to be traded after Schneider rightfully started some play off games. There was zero "mistreatment" before that.

Didn't help that he had a one team list and that team didn't want him.

He was my favorite player the first few seasons in Vancouver. Too many issues with him after that from melting down the stretch in 2008, to meltdowns in 2009 and 2010, to asking to be traded after not starting 3 games. I don't have a problem with him being cheered or booed. In reality, he deserves a bit of both.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
After watching all of the other goalies and stars coming through Vancouver, including former Vezina winner Ryan Miller, you can't do anything but sit in awe of what Roberto Luongo has done.

Undoubtedly the best goaltender to ever play for us. Up there with the Sedin's as the best ever. He's been quietly putting up great numbers for the Panthers and has an outside shot for the Vezina.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Lu has definitely bounced back and is proving he's still a top 10 goalie in this league (possibly top 5 this season). Sometimes you don't know what you've got until it's gone. We had a great one!

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Goalies are a dime a dozen these days. Maybe Luongo was the best goalie in franchise history (Captain Kirk has the on-paper resume to at least make it a debate) but to act like Lu was the reason for whatever success we had with him here isn't a position I'd agree with. Especially post 2006.

Lu was good, but the team around him and the coaching staff were more important. With that said, Luongo has his fans who he couod never do wrong with, so booyah for them. Personally, Luongo's legacy for me will always be crapping the bed twice with the Cup on the line. Superstar goalie that had a tendency to channel his inner Cloutier in the biggest moments of his career. Cheer on though you crazy fans.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Lu couldn't put the team on his back and take them to the promise land,
couldn't steal a series or two in the playoffs, when it counted the most

Got outplayed by two consecutive goalies then asked to be traded

He still has currency in this market because he has a funny Twitter account

Stopped a lot of pucks, won a lot of games, doesn't have a winners mentality

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Goalies are a dime a dozen these days. Maybe Luongo was the best goalie in franchise history (Captain Kirk has the on-paper resume to at least make it a debate) but to act like Lu was the reason for whatever success we had with him here isn't a position I'd agree with. Especially post 2006.

Lu was good, but the team around him and the coaching staff were more important. With that said, Luongo has his fans who he couod never do wrong with, so booyah for them. Personally, Luongo's legacy for me will always be crapping the bed twice with the Cup on the line. Superstar goalie that had a tendency to channel his inner Cloutier in the biggest moments of his career. Cheer on though you crazy fans.

I'm not so much for Luongo as much as I'm against Luongo haters who will craps on him any chance they get. Pretty damn easy to forget he was the biggest reason we had a shot at the cup in the first place. And easier to remember him as the guy who lost it for us. When all is said and done and his career is over he will be the best goaltender to play for us, and his number will never hang from the rafyers in vancouver. And i couldnt care less.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lu couldn't put the team on his back and take them to the promise land,
couldn't steal a series or two in the playoffs, when it counted the most

Got outplayed by two consecutive goalies then asked to be traded

He still has currency in this market because he has a funny Twitter account

Stopped a lot of pucks, won a lot of games, doesn't have a winners mentality

Can you explain what a winners mentality is to us without any references to another athlete or person please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad