Pre-Game Talk: Luongo Returns: An Appreciation Thread || January 8th 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Goaltending was not an issue in those first 2 games and to abandon your starter like that after being a year removed from 2 Stanley Cup Final shutouts is a joke.

It was handled poorly. That decision goes against all logic. Crazy that a team would toss aside a guy like that.

Well that's really just a matter of opinion. A lot more went on in that SCF than just a couple of shutouts and Luongo didn't look great in those first couple of games vs LA, giving up 7 GA in 2 games. Given that he had a backup who'd been absolutely lights out all year, it seemed like a logical move to me.

But really, my issue was more with this:

How Vancouver handled the goaltending situation in that Los Angeles series was a joke. Pathetic. Vancouver may walk away with that series if they stick with Luongo and not a cold Schneider. Just ridiculous.

Schneider was the Canucks' best player in games 3-5. What exactly was Luongo going to do that Schneider didn't that would get the Canucks past the Kings?

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
Goaltending was not an issue in those first 2 games and to abandon your starter like that after being a year removed from 2 Stanley Cup Final shutouts is a joke.

It was handled poorly. That decision goes against all logic. Crazy that a team would toss aside a guy like that.

Luongo absolutely wasn't at fault, but it's sorta like when your team is down 3-0 or 4-0 by the first period and your goalie isn't really at fault for any of the goals: the goalie is still getting pulled. So I had no problem with how it was handled during the series. I knew it was gonna happen following the end of the second game. After the series though, management should have got around him like the Pens have, repeatedly, with MAF. Instead they totally screwed up.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Luongo will always be one of my favourite players. I was floored that he wasn't given the Heritage Classic game. :rant: My loyalty to this team was shaken for the first and only time in my life.

Hoping for a 1-0 shootout win, double shutout for him and Eddie and 2 points for the Canucks.

Me too. I remember thinking "get him the hell out of this mess, he really doesn't deserve this **** anymore" after that game.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
An elite-level competitive professional athlete will do what Luongo did 100 times out of 100. Not sure how you can blame him either.

He did what any person would do. It's human nature.

Then I think they're all ****ing babies. 100 times out of 100.

Clearly that isn't the case. Luongo had a habit of crying and pouring his heart out to the media that the other "elite level professional athlete" on the team never did.

Disagree. In the face of adversity, management showed who they really were, going with a cold goalie over a goalie who got them to a game of the Cup the year before, who had almost single-handedly made the team a contender again during the lean years.

A former Captain.

Many would not have the stones to gut it out for years after that type of disloyalty shown to them.

The team chose to make what they thought was the best move for the team in spite of Luongo's ego.

Luongo chose to put his own ego ahead of the team.

Lundface*

Context. It's important. Luongo didn't "ask for a trade". He was asked by reporters after the LA series if he would waive his no-trade clause if management asked him to. Again, why aren't we talking about what management decided to do and say to him?

Proof? And you can't absolve Gillis because he had plenty of opportunities to trade him.

We don't know what was said behind closed doors, but we do know he was on the bench for the Winter Classic.

Yeah he asked for a trade.

He had no value, what proof of that do you need? Tampa out right said they didn't want him. Toronto gave no value for him and made outrageous requests and Florida didn't have money under old ownership...and also publicaly stated they didnt want him.

"management" didn't say anything to him. They signed him for 12 seasons with a NTC. It was a foregone conclusion he was staying here. The COACH decided to use Schneider (rightfully) to save their season. The plan all along before Luongo opened his mouth was to trade Schneider, they had committed to Luongo until he shot them in the foot.

The Heritage Classic game was also the COACH'S decision.

Lundface*

Disagree. In the face of adversity, management showed who they really were, going with a cold goalie over a goalie who got them to a game of the Cup the year before, who had almost single-handedly made the team a contender again during the lean years.

A former Captain.

Many would not have the stones to gut it out for years after that type of disloyalty shown to them.

The COACH played Schneider over Luongo. Your hate of management is showing.

It's funny how easily the media can manipulate people.

Blob Mckenzie*

I appreciate that this hideous contract is gone .

I would appreciate Luongo if he plays till the end of his hideous contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad