Proposal: Luneau to Montreal for an equivalent forward prospect

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Kidney is insane right now. 30 points in his last 10 games. He's one of my favourite prospects. Not saying you have to like him, but I don't see how he wouldn't be of interest to teams.

He's pretty much untouchable to me.
he is kicking ass indeed

1676999116291.png

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kidney is insane right now. 30 points in his last 10 games. He's one of my favourite prospects. Not saying you have to like him, but I don't see how he wouldn't be of interest to teams.

He's pretty much untouchable to me.

We really arnt in dire need of forwards at the expense of dmen prospects … we have young guys like zegras mctavish lundesteom terry…. And likely a top 5 pick this year…. And guys like pastujov and gaucher that look like they are going to be solid nhl contributors. We also should have a big draft/deadline in terms of adding assets to potentially grab other forwards and/or trade up for forward help we like.

Luneau is in running for defensemen of the year in QMJHL, he’s in a more desirable position league…. And getting better each game since returning from knee injury. Would be silly to trade him at this point.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Counter point - All of those other young D were already in the organization when Anaheim went ahead and drafted Luneau.

They have an abundance of D prospects, but only Drysdale has shown to be anything at the NHL level. They need more than one of those guys to at least be an NHL player before we can start talking like there's some sort of surplus.

On the flip side, Anaheim's top (established) young players besides Drysdale, are all forwards - Terry, Zegras, McTavish. Plus in all likelihood, they are adding another high end young F with this years early draft pick. Not to mention the three second rounders they already own plus any other early picks added by the deadline, with which they can continue adding forwards.

In reality, these types of trades where recent draftees are swapped out, really don't happen. I'd be pretty certain that Anaheim was thrilled to land Luneau where they did, and are just as happy with his development this season. There's no real world motivation to move him, just to say the prospect pool looks more balanced on paper.
Sounds like a deal made when Luneau is a 2nd pair D and the player is a second line F

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
The trade makes sense but I can’t see it happening. Teams just don’t prospect swap like they do in baseball.

If the Habs wanted Luneau then they could have drafted him over Beck or Mesar.

Beck has had a very impressive season and I can’t see him being traded. Mesar hasn’t had that great of a season but he is really good friends with fellow countryman Slafkovski. I am thinking that management want to keep them two as part of the organization together to see what they can do. Plus management don’t like to look like they made a mistake and they won’t want to trade a higher drafted player from last years draft for someone they skipped over. It looks like bad drafting. Plus Anaheim drafted Luneau already knowing that they have a lot of youth on the backend. They must have liked him a lot. Kidney’s name was mentioned too but he is looking like an absolute beast in Gatineau. Now I can only stay watch him but since being traded there he has put up godly offensive numbers. 15-9-29-38.
Mesar hasn't even been bad. It's his first season playing in North America. A slow year was to be expected

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
As much as I like Luneau, I don't see why Montreal would trade for him now. The draft was just 7 months ago. We could've taken him then and we had 4 picks prior to do so.

But if you're talking value-wise, someone like Beck or Mesar would be fair. Mesar has a higher pedigree due to being a 1st, since Luneau is having a good year, Anaheim may want a little added. Beck for Luneau straight up is pretty fair value wise

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As much as I like Luneau, I don't see why Montreal would trade for him now. The draft was just 7 months ago. We could've taken him then and we had 4 picks prior to do so.

But if you're talking value-wise, someone like Beck or Mesar would be fair. Mesar has a higher pedigree due to being a 1st, since Luneau is having a good year, Anaheim may want a little added. Beck for Luneau straight up is pretty fair value wise
I’d be hesitant to move him any time soon…. He’s coming back from knee injury and playing as well as he is…. Before injury he was projected to be 1 of the top dmen in that draft, and he’s starting to show glimpses of that.

On a side note I think there is a very real chance Anaheim sweeps CHL dmen of the year awards.
OHL: Mintyukov
WHL: zellweger
QMJHL: hinds and luneau

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Engstrom is better than Luneau, no reason to trade for him. I would welcome Luneau for prospects like Farrell, Josh Roy or Kidney, but Im not trading Mesar or Beck personally.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Engstrom is better than Luneau, no reason to trade for him. I would welcome Luneau for prospects like Farrell, Josh Roy or Kidney, but Im not trading Mesar or Beck personally.

Id prob argue Luneau > Engstrom pretty comfortably... and a more desirable position being a natural RHD.

Luneau flying under the radar due to the injury his pre draft season. As for trading him.... anaheim has no reason to move him, and certainly not for the roy farrel and kidney of the world.... even mesar/beck dont really do enough to justify moving him.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Id prob argue Luneau > Engstrom pretty comfortably... and a more desirable position being a natural RHD.

Luneau flying under the radar due to the injury his pre draft season. As for trading him.... anaheim has no reason to move him, and certainly not for the roy farrel and kidney of the world.... even mesar/beck dont really do enough to justify moving him.
You are underrating Engstrom, but you are not alone, extremmely solid all around defenseman who can do everything on the ice. I wouldnt trade Engstrom for Luneau straight up personally and I know Luneau pretty well.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You are underrating Engstrom, but you are not alone, extremmely solid all around defenseman who can do everything on the ice. I wouldnt trade Engstrom for Luneau straight up personally and I know Luneau pretty well.
Nothing to do with underrating they both are still just 19 year olds, cant really define them yet.... but it would be dumb for either team to move dmen they picked within a year, and lookin good.

Luneau has been fantastic after coming back from knee injury, and i assume he still has another gear to go, hes RHD which we are pretty weak on outside of Drysdale.

A guy like Engstrom would get stuck behind guys like Mintyukov, Zellweger, Lacombe, Hinds.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal is deep at forward and LHD in its prospect pool, but certainly lacks quality RHD prospects beside Barron and Mailloux.

Anaheim is VERY deep at D under 23 (Drysdale, Hinds, Luneau, Mintyukov, Warren, Zellweger, Lacombe, Moore) but certainly lacks a bit of depth at forward.

My proposal?

Montreal gets: Tristan Luneau

Anaheim gets: one of Filip Mesar, Owen Beck or Riley Kidney

Fair? It think it fits both of those rebuilding teams prospect pool needs.
I wouldn't as Montreal fan. Luneau is Barron caliber. We need future first pairing

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ya I would rather stick it out with the defensive prospects the Ducks have.

They are already losing Thrun and Lacombe hasn't signed yet. Oh ya, and their next best RHD prospect after Luneau is Ian Moore who is also a going into his senior year at Harvard next year and the Ducks have to assume they will lose him too like Thrun.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Why would Hughes trade Messr or Beck for him? If they were that high on him they could have just selected him with one of the 3 picks they used after picking 1st OA. That was only 7 months ago. I don’t imagine things have changed that much in thst time.
Exactly. Kidney is the only one they might be willing to move for Luneau.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Ya I would rather stick it out with the defensive prospects the Ducks have.

They are already losing Thrun and Lacombe hasn't signed yet. Oh ya, and their next best RHD prospect after Luneau is Ian Moore who is also a going into his senior year at Harvard next year and the Ducks have to assume they will lose him too like Thrun.
I would have thought Mintyukov was the best d prospect.

And why would anaheim do this ? I mean this is a random thread asking for a pretty random prospect that Anaheim really has no incentive to move
I dion't know. And I don't really want him. I am just saying that 2 of the 3 players offered by theOP would not be available for Luneau.
But there is always incentive to move a player if assets you like more are offered/

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I dion't know. And I don't really want him. I am just saying that 2 of the 3 players offered by theOP would not be available for Luneau.
RHD.

Mintyukov, Zellweger, Hinds, and Lacombe are all LHD. On the right the Ducks have Luneau, Moore (Harvard senior, so probably gone), and Warren.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

But there is always incentive to move a player if assets you like more are offered/

Which is hard to say with prospects this young…. Why you don’t see a ton of prospect trades for each other.

I wouldn’t say any one listed is above luneau, or enough to warrant me moving him

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So I understand from all that that value-wise, It's fair.

I just think Montreal is very thin at RHD prospect and Anaheim is very thin at forward prospect.

Made sense to trade from strenght for both to address a weakness. Anyways.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I’d be hesitant to move him any time soon…. He’s coming back from knee injury and playing as well as he is…. Before injury he was projected to be 1 of the top dmen in that draft, and he’s starting to show glimpses of that.

On a side note I think there is a very real chance Anaheim sweeps CHL dmen of the year awards.
OHL: Mintyukov
WHL: zellweger
QMJHL: hinds and luneau
Oh I doubt y'all would. Unless you want to move him for a current NHL player in a year or two. Maybe for like a top 6 RW idk. But I don't see his rights leaving Anaheim anytime soon. I'm also very envious of that prospect depth

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oh I doubt y'all would. Unless you want to move him for a current NHL player in a year or two. Maybe for like a top 6 RW idk. But I don't see his rights leaving Anaheim anytime soon. I'm also very envious of that prospect depth
Dmen at least, and goalies is solid

Forwards is pretty weak, granted zegras mctavish terry and Lundy have recently graduated

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

It'll really depend on what we get this summer. If the Ducks end up with Mitchkov, that solidifies our RW for the next 8 years (assuming we sign Terry long term and Mitchkov comes over from Russia) and a power forward LW is more needed. If the Ducks draft a C, then a RW becomes a much bigger need (pending how Perrault develops). Big, physical defensive D is also a need, so if we could get a slightly older/more expensive guy for a prospect, that would be a good add.

This is just saying what Anaheim's needs are, not necessarily that Luneau (or any prospect) will be traded near term. I think the Ducks will let these guys develop and force others out of the lineup before making moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad