Proposal: Luneau to Montreal for an equivalent forward prospect

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Montreal is deep at forward and LHD in its prospect pool, but certainly lacks quality RHD prospects beside Barron and Mailloux.

Anaheim is VERY deep at D under 23 (Drysdale, Hinds, Luneau, Mintyukov, Warren, Zellweger, Lacombe, Moore) but certainly lacks a bit of depth at forward.

My proposal?

Montreal gets: Tristan Luneau

Anaheim gets: one of Filip Mesar, Owen Beck or Riley Kidney

Fair? It think it fits both of those rebuilding teams prospect pool needs.

Reactions: Chose

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Montreal is deep at forward and LHD in its prospect pool, but certainly lacks quality RHD prospects beside Barron and Mailloux.

Anaheim is VERY deep at D under 23 (Drysdale, Hinds, Luneau, Mintyukov, Warren, Zellweger, Lacombe, Moore) but certainly lacks a bit of depth at forward.

My proposal?

No to Beck or Kidney

Mesar ok, Mysak ok.

Beck was just drafted ahead of Luneau and has been a force in the OHL so...

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
No to Beck or Kidney

Mesar ok, Mysak ok.

Beck was just drafted ahead of Luneau and has been a force in the OHL so...
I personally wanted Luneau with one of Mesar/Beck picks, but I've always been high on the kid.

I think he'll be good.

Mesar/Beck/Kidney are also quality prospects. You have to give quality to get quality.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Luneau for Mesar sounds like a good deal for both teams even though I didn’t follow Luneau’s D+1 year.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

My proposal?

I think the idea is good, but for me, I think Beck is ranked a fair bit above the other two, even though both Mesar and Kidney are solid prospects.

I doubt Montreal wants to trade Beck, but Kidney and Mesar would be on the table for Luneau even though it would hurt.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I personally wanted Luneau with one of Mesar/Beck picks, but I've always been high on the kid.

I think he'll be good.

Mesar/Beck/Kidney are also quality prospects. You have to give quality to get quality.
Yeah wouldn’t trade Beck for him but kidney and Mesar are available for that kind of trade.Mysak doesn’t hold any value imo.

Reactions: Eegs

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

My proposal?

Counter point - All of those other young D were already in the organization when Anaheim went ahead and drafted Luneau.

They have an abundance of D prospects, but only Drysdale has shown to be anything at the NHL level. They need more than one of those guys to at least be an NHL player before we can start talking like there's some sort of surplus.

On the flip side, Anaheim's top (established) young players besides Drysdale, are all forwards - Terry, Zegras, McTavish. Plus in all likelihood, they are adding another high end young F with this years early draft pick. Not to mention the three second rounders they already own plus any other early picks added by the deadline, with which they can continue adding forwards.

In reality, these types of trades where recent draftees are swapped out, really don't happen. I'd be pretty certain that Anaheim was thrilled to land Luneau where they did, and are just as happy with his development this season. There's no real world motivation to move him, just to say the prospect pool looks more balanced on paper.

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Why would Hughes trade Messr or Beck for him? If they were that high on him they could have just selected him with one of the 3 picks they used after picking 1st OA. That was only 7 months ago. I don’t imagine things have changed that much in thst time.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto and beowulf

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The trade makes sense but I can’t see it happening. Teams just don’t prospect swap like they do in baseball.

If the Habs wanted Luneau then they could have drafted him over Beck or Mesar.

Beck has had a very impressive season and I can’t see him being traded. Mesar hasn’t had that great of a season but he is really good friends with fellow countryman Slafkovski. I am thinking that management want to keep them two as part of the organization together to see what they can do. Plus management don’t like to look like they made a mistake and they won’t want to trade a higher drafted player from last years draft for someone they skipped over. It looks like bad drafting. Plus Anaheim drafted Luneau already knowing that they have a lot of youth on the backend. They must have liked him a lot. Kidney’s name was mentioned too but he is looking like an absolute beast in Gatineau. Now I can only stay watch him but since being traded there he has put up godly offensive numbers. 15-9-29-38.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and zeeto
Oct 18, 2011
I know nothing about Montreal prospects all I know about Luneau is to date he has probably outplayed his draft position but these things are volatile Anaheim has had a number of D prospects look really good until they got into their hands full time and then for whatever reason not live up to expectation so I'm hoping this new regime does a better job

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I wouldnt trade him for any of those prospects. He dropped in his draft year after an injury and looks like a steal right now. We also have the worst D in the league so the prospect pool even though it looks stacked is desperately needed in the NHL

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why would Hughes trade Messr or Beck for him? If they were that high on him they could have just selected him with one of the 3 picks they used after picking 1st OA. That was only 7 months ago. I can’t I shine things have changed that much in thst time.
Exactly, Luneau was taken 20 spots behind Beck so not only the Habs passed on him early in the 2nd round.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The habs are also loaded on D for players U23.

Guhle, Hutson, Barron, Wifi, Harris, and Mailloux among the most notables ones

and a few others like Engstrom, Trudeau and perhaps even Kostenko.

So Luneau isnt a need for us.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Luneau's a righty, and he has NHL written on him.
He's a smart, dependable and offensively capable 6'2" defenseman.

I would give Mesar or Kidney for him, but not Beck.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

My proposal?

Jezz if the habs wanted Luneau they would of picked him instaed of Beck.
Mesar-Beck are worth a lot more then Luneau atm so no freaking way.
Kidney i would say ok
Kapanen - Mysak - Struble as well.

The habs are also loaded on D for players U23.

Guhle, Hutson, Barron, Wifi, Harris, and Mailloux among the most notables ones

and a few others like Engstrom, Trudeau and perhaps even Kostenko.

So Luneau isnt a need for us.
Luneau is a RHD we need more RD for sure

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Personally I’m high on luneau, shoulda been a 1st rounder.

He’s prob our best RHD outside of drysdale, so no real interest in moving him.

The forward prospects listed don’t do enough for me

Jezz if the habs wanted Luneau they would of picked him instaed of Beck.
Mesar-Beck are worth a lot more then Luneau atm so no freaking way.
Kidney i would say ok
Kapanen - Mysak - Struble as well.
Based on what?
It would cost mesar or beck for us to be even slightly interested, the others don’t do anything for us.

Even then I prob pass, don’t think either really do enough

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Personally I’m high on luneau, shoulda been a 1st rounder.

He’s prob our best RHD outside of drysdale, so no real interest in moving him.

The forward prospects listed don’t do enough for me

Based on what?
It would cost mesar or beck for us to be even slightly interested, the others don’t do anything for us.

Even then I prob pass, don’t think either really do enough
Kidney is insane right now. 30 points in his last 10 games. He's one of my favourite prospects. Not saying you have to like him, but I don't see how he wouldn't be of interest to teams.

He's pretty much untouchable to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad