Proposal: Lundqvist to Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we trade Lundqvist it'll be something like Bourque. That means

1)A bonafide top 3 Cup contender (sorry, Philly)

2)Something our fans are more comfortable with than a division rival. (Lundqvist wouldn't waive for a rival)
No need to be sorry, you are stating the truth.

Flyers fans KNOW they are not contenders, hence why trading for Hank makes no sense. Especially at the expense of our good young prospects.

No one needs to run Hank down. We are not good matches in a trade.

Reactions: Machinehead

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The Flyers are fine and I think they have a bright future ahead.

There is no need to make this trade and mess that up.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
As a Flyers fan, I find this surprising

I think it depends on the success of the team. Back in the 70s, I hated the Flyers the most. Then in the 80s it was the Islanders. I couldn't care less about the Islanders anymore since they've stunk for so long. The Devils have been irrelevant for quite a while, too although both those teams hate the Rangers with a passion because the Rangers get all the attention locally.

I've always disliked the Flyers because of their physicality. For a long time, I thought they cared more about inflicting pain than winning with all those goons (post Broad Street Bullies era whom also had a ton of talent on the team). I would say that the Flyers got displaced by the Pens because of their success.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I think it depends on the success of the team. Back in the 70s, I hated the Flyers the most. Then in the 80s it was the Islanders. I couldn't care less about the Islanders anymore since they've stunk for so long. The Devils have been irrelevant for quite a while, too although both those teams hate the Rangers with a passion because the Rangers get all the attention locally.

I've always disliked the Flyers because of their physicality. For a long time, I thought they cared more about inflicting pain than winning with all those goons (post Broad Street Bullies era whom also had a ton of talent on the team). I would say that the Flyers got displaced by the Pens because of their success.
That makes sense. I consider the Penguins by far the Flyers biggest rival right now, but the rivalry isn't even near what it was 5-7 years ago, and I know it certainly wasn't always the Pens. Early 2000's was probably the Devils from our standpoint, and you'd have to ask an older fan for earlier as I was just a wee lad in the 90's :laugh:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I am basically stealing this idea from Justine Bourne and his "Thoughts on Thoughts" feature over on The Athletic. Here is a LINK to the original article, I think it's worth a read. (My apologies if this is considered advertising or in any way against forum rules).

Basically, Bourne proposes 2 possible trades involving Lundqvist to Philly:

:flyers Lundqvist

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + Stolarz + Lehtera

OR

:flyers Lundqvist

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + MacDonald + Hart

In my opinion, I can't see the flyers giving up Hart. Generally, I don't think Philly would be interested in giving up futures like this, especially when they're not in cap trouble right now so paying to get rid of Lehtera/MacDonald is not a necessity.

Still, thought it was interesting enough to share here. Thoughts? I could see the flyers maybe giving up a lesser d prospect for a lesser stopgap goalie (Chad Johnson maybe?). Is this deal simply dead in the water due to divisional team rivalries?
This is pure terrible. I wouldn't trade any of these players for Lundy. Cap hit/contract is terrible. The bad Flyers deals are at least closer to being over. Not giving up blue chip assets for that contract either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA