Proposal: Lundqvist to Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I actually don't hate either of these deals, much as I'd hate to see the King play in Philly. On paper it makes sense, but here's the real issue:

1) Philly is not a Lundqvist away from winning the Cup.
2) By the time they ARE ready to compete, Carter Hart will have arrived.
3) Even if Philly wanted to make this deal, the Rangers don't need Hart because we have arguably an equal or better goaltending prospect in Igor Shestyorkin. So we'd need a different piece in place of Hart.
4) Perhaps most important: Hank is never going to waive his NTC to be traded to a team that is marginally better than the Rangers are now at full health, and not even as good as the team we've iced over the last three seasons. If Hank couldn't win with far superior Rangers clubs, how's he going to win with Philly who is also on the bubble?

Hank LOVES New York to the point where he would sacrifice winning a Cup just for the possibility that he wins one herein 2-3 more years when he is ancient, grim as it's looking. But he held out the possibility that management could always come to him with a proposal. So if he agreed to a deal, it'd have to be a team that is truly one goaltender away from winning. Maybe Anaheim or something. I don't even know if there IS a team that fits that description.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Not interested. We have more problems than just solid goaltending.

Cap also becomes an issue in 2 years.

Rangers fans would probably Lynch Gorton for sending the King here, too.

Not this Rangers fan. I would drive Hank to Philly with a limo full of hookers and blow.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I gagged at how much we're giving up. Also the last thing I want is to see Lundqvist throwing his little baby tantrums on our young d and ruining their confidence.

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I gagged at how much we're giving up. Also the last thing I want is to see Lundqvist throwing his little baby tantrums on our young d and ruining their confidence.

He deals with much worse defense, to be fair. His .919 is misleading. He is having one of the best seasons of his career on far and away the worst team he has ever played for.

Rangers would genuinely be bottom 5 without him.

I'm not saying the Flyers are Lundqvist away from winning the Stanley Cup, but honestly, they would compete for a deep run.

17-18 Lundqvist is still far better than the goaltending the Flyers have had for the past decade.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hank will stay in NY. Philly is not a "Hank" away from winning anything meaningful.m

Just let Philly fight for the playoffs like expected all while continuing to rebuild. Adding a lesser goalie to help that makes sense. Adding a 8.5 million dollars 35 year old goalie does not.

We know Hank is good. No discredit to him at all..

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
You're a sick man.

I'd rather see him win the Smythe in a Flyers jersey then see him on the Devils or Islanders. I mean, **** Philly but they are a solid 3rd on that list.

The Islanders and Devils are NHL afterthoughts and definitely afterthoughts in the Tri-State Area. The Flyers are our #1 rival, followed by the Penguins, IMO.

Reactions: nyrage

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
This has been more civil than i expected for the first few posts, ill give you that.

The civility lasted for 29 posts - not too shabby.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am basically stealing this idea from Justine Bourne and his "Thoughts on Thoughts" feature over on The Athletic. Here is a LINK to the original article, I think it's worth a read. (My apologies if this is considered advertising or in any way against forum rules).

Basically, Bourne proposes 2 possible trades involving Lundqvist to Philly:

:flyers Lundqvist

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + Stolarz + Lehtera

OR

:flyers Lundqvist

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + MacDonald + Hart

In my opinion, I can't see the flyers giving up Hart. Generally, I don't think Philly would be interested in giving up futures like this, especially when they're not in cap trouble right now so paying to get rid of Lehtera/MacDonald is not a necessity.

Still, thought it was interesting enough to share here. Thoughts? I could see the flyers maybe giving up a lesser d prospect for a lesser stopgap goalie (Chad Johnson maybe?). Is this deal simply dead in the water due to divisional team rivalries?

Lmfao youre not getting 22 year old Travis Sanheim alone for 36 year old Lundqvist.

Hank still has a couple solid years left but youd be lucky to get a 1st + B Prospect for him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

If your young D would have their confidence ruined by Lundqvist's "baby tantrums" then your team has bigger problems than goalie.

But something tells me you don't actually believe this and was just looking an excuse to call Lundqvist a baby.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ok, Flyers fans have made it clear we have no interest. We are fine keeping our youth and continuing the process. Move on.

Reactions: Tripod

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If your young D would have their confidence ruined by Lundqvist's "baby tantrums" then your team has bigger problems than goalie.

But something tells me you don't actually believe this and was just looking an excuse to call Lundqvist a baby.

Well it certainly wouldn't ruin their confidence, it would cause negativity in the locker room which isn't needed. No one wants to see a teammate having little fit on the ice which is showing blame on others, we had to deal with that with Bryz.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Islanders and Devils are NHL afterthoughts and definitely afterthoughts in the Tri-State Area. The Flyers are our #1 rival, followed by the Penguins, IMO.
How old are you?

I’m in my thirties and I cannot agree with this at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we trade Lundqvist it'll be something like Bourque. That means

1)A bonafide top 3 Cup contender (sorry, Philly)

2)Something our fans are more comfortable with than a division rival. (Lundqvist wouldn't waive for a rival)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also, wasn't "the Flyers have everything but a goaltender!" a thing like 6-8 years ago?

It certainly was. If we had a goaltender better than the Leighton/Boucher/Emery tandem (someone roughly league average for a starter, like Vokoun or Chris Mason), we almost certainly win the 2010 Cup.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Not interested. We have more problems than just solid goaltending.

Cap also becomes an issue in 2 years.

Rangers fans would probably Lynch Gorton for sending the King here, too.
Some Rangers fans would but they’re immature. He would have a better chance with the Flyers than the Rangers. Evidently being a celebrity in the city is more important to him than a cup!

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well it certainly wouldn't ruin their confidence, it would cause negativity in the locker room which isn't needed. No one wants to see a teammate having little fit on the ice which is showing blame on others, we had to deal with that with Bryz.

Yeah, if only Lundqvist didn't have a "little fit" on the ice maybe his moderately talented Rangers teams would go to three conference finals, one final, get the best record in the east, and win the Presidents' trophy in his tenure. Oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad