Proposal: Lundqvist to Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am basically stealing this idea from Justine Bourne and his "Thoughts on Thoughts" feature over on The Athletic. Here is a LINK to the original article, I think it's worth a read. (My apologies if this is considered advertising or in any way against forum rules).

Basically, Bourne proposes 2 possible trades involving Lundqvist to Philly:

:flyers Lundqvist

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + Stolarz + Lehtera

OR

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + MacDonald + Hart

In my opinion, I can't see the flyers giving up Hart. Generally, I don't think Philly would be interested in giving up futures like this, especially when they're not in cap trouble right now so paying to get rid of Lehtera/MacDonald is not a necessity.

Still, thought it was interesting enough to share here. Thoughts? I could see the flyers maybe giving up a lesser d prospect for a lesser stopgap goalie (Chad Johnson maybe?). Is this deal simply dead in the water due to divisional team rivalries?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not interested. We have more problems than just solid goaltending.

Cap also becomes an issue in 2 years.

Rangers fans would probably Lynch Gorton for sending the King here, too.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Don't see it happening. He knows the plan and said he wants to stay. Moving him at all would be a big middle finger to him, moving him to Philly would be one to him and to the fans.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
I would do it only because i am a Rangers fan and we need a total rebuild . Philly could be a dark horse for the SC

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I love the idea of the thread.
Rangers ask Patrick + Sanheim/Myers + 1st
Probably doesn't even get the job done.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
off topic re Hank, but had been wondering if Flyers would have interest in Marc Staal as a steady vet for that young D Corps, in return for some youth/pick and salary swap (dump)pricey nonessential guys like McDonald or Lehtera

Rangers need to remodel, and their most ready prospects seem to be on D

Staal is better than McDonald, nowhere near as done as the on-line critics say.
He is solid and straight-up guy Philly fans would like, and it's close enough to NYC area and family he might consider allowing the trade.

But yes his contract goes through '21 at $5,7M
maybe NYR retain ~25%

i am sure this post will be dismissed as ridiculous by some,
that Staal isn't worth it,
but as a hockey fan and a Staal fan,
(and long time follower if not fan of the Flyers, they were local nhl team on tv in college, and we lived in greater Phila area for 7 years in the 90's

i believe he could contribute to making the Flyers a better team and better playoff team

fire away ...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
off topic re Hank, but had been wondering if Flyers would have interest in Marc Staal as a steady vet for that young D Corps, in return for some youth/pick and salary swap (dump)pricey nonessential guys like McDonald or Lehtera

Rangers need to remodel, and their most ready prospects seem to be on D

Staal is better than McDonald, nowhere near as done as the on-line critics say.
He is solid and straight-up guy Philly fans would like, and it's close enough to NYC area and family he might consider allowing the trade.

But yes his contract goes through '21 at $5,7M
maybe NYR retain ~25%

i am sure this post will be dismissed as ridiculous by some,
that Staal isn't worth it,
but as a hockey fan and a Staal fan,
(and long time follower if not fan of the Flyers, they were local nhl team on tv in college, and we lived in greater Phila area for 7 years in the 90's

i believe he could contribute to making the Flyers a better team and better playoff team

fire away ...

MacDonald isnt as big of a deal anymore now that our coach has mostyly realized that playing Ghost with Provorov = win. I'd rather just stick with AMac at this point.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Flyers have no interest in Staal, the contract is too long and the Flyers don't have a similar contract to swap.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
This has been more civil than i expected for the first few posts, ill give you that.
Haha, glad it has been largely civil. Hopefully it stays that way. It probably helps that the proposal was made by a neutral party.

I can see valid reasons why neither team would like the trade, and I am not going to say some ignorant shit like, "if both teams don't like it, must be a good trade..." Don't really think it's a realistic trade, just thought it was interesting enough to share/discuss!

Reactions: wafflepadsave

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia wouldn't (shouldn't) give up Hart for Price let alone Lundqvist. Vancouver's not trading Demko, the Islanders are unlikely to trade Sorokin and the Rangers are unlikely to move Shesterkin.

That said, Hextall's done a fantastic job stocking promising goaltending prospects and the Rangers would do well to add one of them to Shesterkin - Sandstrom comes to mind. To add, I'd have to think Hart, Frost and Myers wouldn't be available for Lundqvist either.

Perhaps something like:

To New York: Scott Laughton, Brian Elliot, Felix Sandstrom, 2018 PHI 2nd

To Philadelphia: Henrik Lundqvist, David Desharnais, 2019 NYR 7th

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think anyone would seriously propose the kind of trade that gets me to give up Carter Hart at this point. The possibility of him developing into our best #1 since Bernie is just too tantalizing (and I have the odds of him succeeding as much higher than Sandstrom. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I just have a feeling that Hart's going to be an absolute star.)

I also can't justify giving up both Sanheim and Morin (maybe if it was a deal that involved McDonagh coming back.) Given that we have two complete plugs in our defensive lineup already, and Gudas is such a high suspension risk, I'm not comfortable moving two D prospects until we have a better handle on who's properly making the jump.

From the Rangers' perspective, Hank said he wanted to be part of the team, despite the rebuild, and I wouldn't slap a lifelong Ranger star in the face like that, were I them. Just not good business. However, he would provide the best return, IMO, of anyone not named McDonagh, so if he changes his mind, they should definitely find him a good place.

If the deal were Morin + Stolarz + Lehtera + 1st, I might be able to justify that from the Flyers' perspective, as he'd be the perfect goalie to let us transition into the Hart era. If Lundqvist wanted to move, (this may be hometown bias talking, but) I feel like that's a very competitive return for him. However, the price as constructed is too rich for my blood, and I wouldn't do it from the Ranger side unless he's privately told them something different than he's stated publicly.

Reactions: captainpaxil

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
If Paul Holmgren was still the GM I could totally see him trading our future goalie in Hart and a high potential D-man in Sanheim for an aging while still good Lundqvist. Just glad Hextall is the GM now and it won't happen.

Reactions: Stizzle and Tripod

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
I am basically stealing this idea from Justine Bourne and his "Thoughts on Thoughts" feature over on The Athletic. Here is a LINK to the original article, I think it's worth a read. (My apologies if this is considered advertising or in any way against forum rules).

Basically, Bourne proposes 2 possible trades involving Lundqvist to Philly:

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + Stolarz + Lehtera

OR

:rangers Sanheim + Morin + MacDonald + Hart

In my opinion, I can't see the flyers giving up Hart. Generally, I don't think Philly would be interested in giving up futures like this, especially when they're not in cap trouble right now so paying to get rid of Lehtera/MacDonald is not a necessity.

Still, thought it was interesting enough to share here. Thoughts? I could see the flyers maybe giving up a lesser d prospect for a lesser stopgap goalie (Chad Johnson maybe?). Is this deal simply dead in the water due to divisional team rivalries?

Kidding right ? You , or whoever posted this, obviously doesn't know how Hextall operates at all ! Putting Hart in a trade for an aged goalie is hilarious. He's probably something the Flyers havent had since a young Hextall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad