Lundqvist Sucks In Big Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
I'm an emotional guy.
So I don't mind admitting I was close to tears at the bravery of Lundqvist and the Rangers players last night.
There is something soul lifting about watching a team, who let's face it, for the first time in these 4 games was being outplayed, putting their bodies on the line like that.

Every game now I have watched them refuse to be dominated by what has now become a Stanley Cup juggernaut battering the opposition into submission.

I don't care about the World Cup if Rangers get to game 7 it will make my summer. The trouble is I don't see what more they can do, one lapse against LA and you get mortally punished.

If it is written it will happen, if not then thank you Rangers for giving me one of the most exciting SC playoffs since my own team wilted through massive injuries to another juggernaut named Boston.

Come on Rangers, you can do it. I will once again be staying up to the early hours of the morning hoping for that miracle that will make LA doubt their invincibility.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Maybe it´s a good thing that every game now is like a game 7 for the Rangers, win or go home, where Hank has been oustanding......

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
7ab84780-f1ec-11e3-a4bd-83cfe611b17f_450457598.jpg

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Except for the salary cap, Lundqvist has been one of the greatest gifts to this franchise. He is the best goalie to ever wear the blueshirt. He may not be as acrobatic as Richter was, but he makes it so easy that people forget his contribution to the team. The team would be no where without him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Except for the salary cap, Lundqvist has been one of the greatest gifts to this franchise. He is the best goalie to ever wear the blueshirt. He may not be as acrobatic as Richter was, but he makes it so easy that people forget his contribution to the team. The team would be no where without him.

The $1-2M he is "overpaid" has zero impact on the team improving itself or being hamstrung by the salary cap, especially considering what he brings.

He is, without a doubt, the best goaltender in franchise history - and its really not even close.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
The $1-2M he is "overpaid" has zero impact on the team improving itself or being hamstrung by the salary cap, especially considering what he brings.

He is, without a doubt, the best goaltender in franchise history - and its really not even close.

Exactly. He is worth every penny he is paid. He is the one player on the team who is going to be on the ice for 60 minutes.. There is no problem allocating that much salary to this one player.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Every year it's been the same story. Hank leads us further than the team should be going. He's the backbone of the team since '05. He has bailed out this team countless times. One bad goal, or one bad game and its "Hanks gotta win one by himself". He's been winning them since day one. He's not Superman, but he's pretty damn close. Hockey's a team game. If he had some PP time maybe he'd score some goals too, but he doesn't, and the guys that are suppose to be cashing in on one of those chances are the real problem IMO.

I think he meant the salary cap being a great gift for the club AND Henrik coming to the team

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The franchise player should also be paid the most. Is Hank overpaid? Yes. We could've hoped for a more friendly cap hit for sure. Chris Dreary, Wade Dreaden, Scott Fumblez, Bad Richards, Rick Cash... it just never ends. And that's just those "big stars" after 04/05. When Nash makes $7.8m, who can really complain Hank will make $8.5m?

When this franchise continually and literally pour money over players who are never even close to earning them, you just know Hank's due for an overpayment. The franchise reaps what Sather sows. If Sather can pay those bums such hefty sums of money for mere hope, what is he supposed to pay the proven star player? He had set the bar himself.

There is just no way the Rangers are where they are now without Lundqvist. He dragged those mediocre teams (mediocre with Hank, terrible without) to the playoffs, year after year, even if they had no business being there. He made the franchise a consistent playoff participant, which attracted players (for better or worse, relatively speaking) that would probably not have come otherwise. Who would've wanted to play here, if the Rangers would've been a glorified Panthers team? Hank set a foundation to build around to create a successful team. That attracts attention.

So overpaid, yes, but if anyone earns it on this squad, it's him. He's the only player left on the squad since 05/06, which says alot in itself.

Last edited:

AHB*

The franchise player should also be paid the most. Is Hank overpaid? Yes. We could've hoped for a more friendly cap hit for sure. Chris Dreary, Wade Dreaden, Scott Fumblez, Bad Richards, Rick Cash... it just never ends. And that's just those "big stars" after 04/05. When Nash makes $7.8m, who can really complain Hank will make $8.5m?

When this franchise continually and literally pour money over players who are never even close to earning them, you just know Hank's due for an overpayment. The franchise reaps what Sather sows. If Sather can pay those bums such hefty sums of money for mere hope, what is he supposed to pay the proven star player? He had set the bar himself.

There is just no way the Rangers are where they are now without Lundqvist. He dragged those mediocre teams (mediocre with Hank, terrible without) to the playoffs, year after year, even if they had no business being there. He made the franchise a consistent playoff participant, which attracted players (for better or worse, relatively speaking) that would probably not have come otherwise. Who would've wanted to play here, if the Rangers would've been a glorified Panthers team? Hank set a foundation to build around to create a successful team. That attracts attention.

So overpaid, yes, but if anyone earns it on this squad, it's him. He's the only player left on the squad since 05/06, which says alot in itself.

This is such a great post. And I completely agree. The one guy that shows up to play more then anyone should be paid the most, especially in the fact that it's at as high a level as Lundqvist.

He is not only the best goalie in Rangers history, he is going to go down as one of the better ones of all time. When all is said and done, if he stays relatively healthy, there's a good chance he'll end up a top 5 in a lot of the major goaltending categories.

I love this guy. I know he doesn't know me and likely never will, but honestly, there's about 10 people on this planet that if they died, I'd be more effected by their deaths then Lundqvist. It's insane to think that, but that just puts it in perspective. I don't even know if there's 10.

I'll revel this guy my whole life and it's highly improbable we'll see another goalie of his caliber in a Rangers uniform in our lifetime.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

what I meant by the cap was not Lundqvist's cap hit. I meant there were two factors that kept the Rangers out of the dark ages is Lundqvist and the cap itself. If there wasn't a cap , do you honestly think the Rangers would have the depth they have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad