Proposal: Lundqvist (and Kreider?) to Canes/Avs

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
For HL it's a simple conversation... What do you want to do? chase a cup(if so waive the NTC).. Retire with class? or go the buyout route? Simple A/B/C option and call it a day.. Shesty/Georgiev will play next year regardless of the trade deadline results
There's no legit cup contender that needs a goalie. And even if there was, hard to envision that 2020 Lundqvist would be an upgrade for that team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think you could remove a lot of that stuff and have something

Kreider 50% retention

COL 1st, Bowers, 3rd if Kreider re-signs.

Something like that maybe?

First, why would a team with $30M in cap space at trade deadline need someone to retain salary on a rental?

Secondly, I don't think rental Kreider gets two first rounders worth in a trade.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Is Jost supposed to be "the" prospect in that proposal? No thanks. Way too many question marks with Jost. Only way justifying trading Kreider AND Lundqvist to Colorado would be to get Newhook and conditional picks in return and that's not happening.
Carolina proposal looks better but I'd blow it up and add Skjei, lol.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Canes need improvement in goal (Lundqvist might nominally address that for the remainder of the year), and defense...Kreider is really not what we're need to spend assets on, just need our current forwards to get their heads out of their @$$es and play smarter. If we're talking just Lundqvist, then you're getting something pretty nominal, nothing near a Bokk or 1st.

I think most NYR fans would send Hank to Carolina cheap just to give him a chance at a cup. He still can steal a game here and there which is what you want, at his worst he can still hold his own behind the defence of a team like Carolina. Give him a good team and he won't be a liability through the last season of his contract. He just cant carry this team the way its constructed.

I'd be content with a 2nd, or 3rd and high risk/reward middle six prospect. Just to free up space on our roster and get him a Cup. 50% retention is more than reasonable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes don't need to add a third 1B goalie. I don't have any interest in Lundqvist and the Canes won't be the one giving up a mid-1st for Kreider. I could see NYR getting a late 1st from Boston.

Canes are way better off keeping their 1sts + Bokk and signing a Markstrom or Lehner this off-season.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is Jost supposed to be "the" prospect in that proposal? No thanks. Way too many question marks with Jost. Only way justifying trading Kreider AND Lundqvist to Colorado would be to get Newhook and conditional picks in return and that's not happening.
Carolina proposal looks better but I'd blow it up and add Skjei, lol.
Newhook alone is more valuable to the Avs than a Kreider + Lundqvist package. Lundqvist does nothing for us and as I've said earlier in the thread, the biggest hole in the roster, when healthy, is a 3C, not a top-6 winger.

Reactions: flyfysher

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
There's no legit cup contender that needs a goalie. And even if there was, hard to envision that 2020 Lundqvist would be an upgrade for that team.

Agreed.. Only place he will fit today is Avs or CBJ and he would only be insurance for this years playoffs and thats about it.. Don't go thinking I'm suggesting theres a big market to move him.. If he were to go anywhere we would be on the cook for 50% and have to add a plus to entice the other side I'm sure. But like I said, 1 min after the deadline he will need to make the B/C decision..

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
Newhook alone is more valuable to the Avs than a Kreider + Lundqvist package. Lundqvist does nothing for us and as I've said earlier in the thread, the biggest hole in the roster, when healthy, is a 3C, not a top-6 winger.

Lundqvist and Strome for ??? Think this could work better?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

Agreed. Which is all the more reason why NY shouldn’t be after Jost. I think folks think these two teams are a good match but they’re not. Different holes to fill and players that would be wanted aren’t moving.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Strome's numbers are inflated due to playing with Panarin. To be honest, I'm really not interested in trading with the Rangers.

Exactly! Not to be rude but no thank you. And I'd be surprised if Sakic trades for Pageau and Demelo because I think the Sens will want too much in return but I agree with your thinking. I just don't see Sakic trading the first rounder and we don't have a second either.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I think most NYR fans would send Hank to Carolina cheap just to give him a chance at a cup. He still can steal a game here and there which is what you want, at his worst he can still hold his own behind the defence of a team like Carolina. Give him a good team and he won't be a liability through the last season of his contract. He just cant carry this team the way its constructed.

I'd be content with a 2nd, or 3rd and high risk/reward middle six prospect. Just to free up space on our roster and get him a Cup. 50% retention is more than reasonable.

I think this too.

Henrik is still a kick-ass goalie. He's playing behind a team that can't defend well, and he'd represent an upgrade over anything Car/Col are putting out there on a day-to-day basis. Looking at his GSAA and his adjusted goalie fancystats? He's still got it.

Hank at 50% with his desire to play next season uncertain is a very attractive upgrade for a number of teams, and I think that's probably the bang-on price (2nd and a boom-or-bust prospect). Could even add a conditional third from the Rangers if Hank plays one game for the receiving team in 20'-21

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
Agreed. Which is all the more reason why NY shouldn’t be after Jost. I think folks think these two teams are a good match but they’re not. Different holes to fill and players that would be wanted aren’t moving.

I agree with this, but I do wonder why Avs fans don't value goaltending more. Not to knock who they have or the slightly better numbers than HL, and I'n no idiot as I know his career is at an end. However HL has played almost as many playoff games as Grubauer has played regular season games. There was a time when "Playoff performance" was a thing. Again, NOT saying he is still a hockey god or that anyone else needs him desperately but I am surprised at how snubbed he is. Shitty way to end an incredible career really, guess he was hoping for the Richter treatment..

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
How is OP under impression Hank has a positive value at this point? Furthermore, why would Avs, of all teams, want him?

Because some of us are smart enough to look at data beyond GAA and SV% and realize that the Rangers have had as much actual defensive play as a mid-range ECHL team for most of the season, and Hank's bailed them out more than he's cost them.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Because some of us are smart enough to look at data beyond GAA and SV% and realize that the Rangers have had as much actual defensive play as a mid-range ECHL team for most of the season, and Hank's bailed them out more than he's cost them.

This is true.

Accept the last month or so, we've been almost 80's Oilers Firewagon hockey. Staal, ADA, and Hajek are liabilities this year, with Trouba and Skjei having occasional brain farts.

We are a transition/o-zone pressure team and below our hash marks has been fair game 3/4 of this season to this point. Only recently have the NYR D been falling back into a respectable formation.

Shestertik and Georgiev have the youth quickness to cover the post to post acrobat saves. Hank has developed a more conservative style since 2018/19 season which isn't productive with our current Defence core.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Too bad you aren't smart enough to realize he comes with 10 mil cap hit and more than 10 times cheaper goalies do better behind the same team. And Avs have two perfectly good goalies too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think this too.

Henrik is still a kick-ass goalie. He's playing behind a team that can't defend well, and he'd represent an upgrade over anything Car/Col are putting out there on a day-to-day basis. Looking at his GSAA and his adjusted goalie fancystats? He's still got it

contrary to popular belief, Carolina doesn’t defend well either. Their strong possession limits overall shots, but they tend to give up a ton of high quality scoring chances. Hank can probably handle those better than the Canes current goalies, but it doesn’t fix the root cause of the problem.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'm not sure if the Canes need anything or want anything, but they do have a bunch of stuff (prospects/picks) I think the Rangers should be interested in.

Danvalanche

Feb 13, 2019
Why would Colorado trade for a goalie that’s 10 years older, and triple the price. Especially when both of their goalies are playing better than Henrik. If your looking for a team that needs goalie help, this ain’t them son.

Reactions: Patagonia

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
Why would Colorado trade for a goalie that’s 10 years older, and triple the price. Especially when both of their goalies are playing better than Henrik. If your looking for a team that needs goalie help, this ain’t them son.

Grubauer is phenomenal in the playoffs so Avs shouldn't be worried. All his experience will pay off, no need for a back up either.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I agree with this, but I do wonder why Avs fans don't value goaltending more. Not to knock who they have or the slightly better numbers than HL, and I'n no idiot as I know his career is at an end. However HL has played almost as many playoff games as Grubauer has played regular season games. There was a time when "Playoff performance" was a thing. Again, NOT saying he is still a hockey god or that anyone else needs him desperately but I am surprised at how snubbed he is. ****ty way to end an incredible career really, guess he was hoping for the Richter treatment..

This is like the NJD Hall talk all over again. Rangers fans talking like HL is still the greatest thing since sliced bread and we would be dumb to not surrender Newhook. That's like the NJD fans telling us how dumb we were not to want to give up Byram or Timmins for Hall. Forget it. Look at what Hall has done for the Coyotes. We don't value HL the same way you do. Multiple substantive reasons have been given why HL is unappealing for Avs fans and the RANGERS HELD ONTO HIM TOO LONG. The Avs are not a particularly good fit as a trade partner with the Rangers and your acting like the Rangers would be doing the Avs a favor is obnoxious and just plain wrong. So please stop.

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
This is like the NJD Hall talk all over again. Rangers fans talking like HL is still the greatest thing since sliced bread and we would be dumb to not surrender Newhook. That's like the NJD fans telling us how dumb we were not to want to give up Byram or Timmins for Hall. Forget it. Look at what Hall has done for the Coyotes. We don't value HL the same way you do. Multiple substantive reasons have been given why HL is unappealing for Avs fans and the RANGERS HELD ONTO HIM TOO LONG. The Avs are not a particularly good fit as a trade partner with the Rangers and your acting like the Rangers would be doing the Avs a favor is obnoxious and just plain wrong. So please stop.

Please show me where I said Newhook... Maybe you need your eyes checked. HL isn't going to cost that, NYR will buy him out and he will be a 5m cap hit, retaining 50% and trading if he waives a NTC would make more sense financially(4.25m). Why would we over ask for him, give your head a shake, look at the facts. NO he isnt a Vezina goalie anymore but he is still good and has played nearly as many playoff games as both of your goalies has played regular season games. Obnoxious is when people respond to post and make wild accusations.. NYR is desperate to dump him with as little cost as possible, no on is asking for a bucket full of picks and prospects.. But once again, Where did I say Newhook????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad