Proposal: Lundqvist (and Kreider?) to Canes/Avs

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
We know what a Lundy can do in the playoffs, had taken him in a heartbeat at 50% retained if it dont kill us to much!

But Rangers need to take back Smith on a outgoing contract! Lundy aging, but im pretty sure he could cream out a stellar performance in a playoff run, and that leadership he brings is gold !

Intrested in kreider too, but dont think Holland will gamble with the first this season.

Or Georgiev, we are stucked with Koski 2 seasons more, Smith is streaky and in my mind not a goalie you go far with in a eventual playoff!

With that said, The King will not waive for Oilers!
Thought of Oilers as a fit, but I'd have to agree in saying he likely wouldn't waive for EDM. Don't think they win the Cup this seaosn or next, and Hank will only waive for a team that can do that, imo.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think you could remove a lot of that stuff and have something

Kreider 50% retention

COL 1st, Bowers, 3rd if Kreider re-signs.

Something like that maybe?
Colorado doesn't need Kreider to have any retention, and won't pay the price Gorton wants because of that fact. Bowers is also a good prospect, and I personally would not pay that price.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I find it absolutely astonishing how the Rangers being a tire fire defensively has torpedoed everyone's view of Hank. The guy is quite literally still an elite goaltender. He saves top-5 goals above expected, while having one of the hardest workloads in the league. The Rangers bleed shots from the slot. They give up the blueline by design.

The fact that youguys literally think Grubauer/Francouz/Mrazek/Reimer > Hank fascinates me. I can't even be mad because youguys only see his boxcar stats, which suffer bc of the Rangers. I'm going to assume NHL Gm's see my side of the story more so thatn yours, because they have access to more of these statistics/have scouts that watch games and take account for these types of things.

It's actually a bit sad to me that the way fans of other teams will remember Hank as if he went out over the hill and part of the problem for the Rangers. Sure, he's declined with age, everyone does, but he's literally still elite in the definition of the word. I really hope it doesn't tarnish his legacy.

I find it absolutely astonishing you think the guys above are on contenders. Talk to me about St Louis, Tampa, Boston, Colorado, Washington etc...

I mean if you think he'll play on any playoff team that is a different conversation but is he winning a Cup with the Canucks? Would he even want to move to the west?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Canes need improvement in goal (Lundqvist might nominally address that for the remainder of the year), and defense...Kreider is really not what we're need to spend assets on, just need our current forwards to get their heads out of their @$$es and play smarter. If we're talking just Lundqvist, then you're getting something pretty nominal, nothing near a Bokk or 1st.

Reactions: White Death 24

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
As a Rangers fan this hurts to propose but here goes nothing. The clock is ticking for HL and Kreider, two of the very last remaining members of the old guard. This is especially painful to consider Lundqvist gone so soon.

But, similar to the Miller & Ott deal which saw Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 2015 1st and a conditional 2016 3rd go to Buffalo, could the Rangers see a similar return for Hank + Kreids.

Kreider is a far superior player to Ott, but is a rental so that has to be taken into account. Despite the pending UFA status I still give a substantial advantage to Kreider.

Henrik Lundqvist is older than Miller, but his underlying stats still say he's capable of elite things at his age. Rangers would be willing to retain 50% and he still has another year, which gives either team acquiring 2 kicks at the can with a motivated HL.

Colorado Avalanche
To COL: Henrik Lundqvist (50% ret.), Chris Kreider
To NYR: 2020 1st, 2021 3rd*, Tyson Jost, Philipp Grubauer, Shane Bowers
* becomes 2021 2nd if Kreider re-signs or COL win Cup in '20 or '21, 2021 1st if both happen.
- 1st + cond. 3rd + young roster player (Stewart/Jost) + goalie (Halak/Grubauer) + younger prospect (Carrier/Bowers) looks similar to return for Ott + Miller. Bowers is better than Carrier, but Kreider was better than Ott and Lundqvist has term and is not a pending UFA.
- This may be too steep a price for the Avs to pay, since Jost is much younger than Stewart was, but I don't think the Rangers would accept much less. Maybe Bowers gets downgraded to Kaut (idk how COL values him considering heart issues) or Kamenev, to compensate for Jost youth.

Carolina Hurricanes
To CAR: Henrik Lundqvist (50% ret.), Chris Kreider
To NYR: 2020 1st (TOR), 2021 3rd*, Brock McGinn, Petr Mrazek, Dominik Bokk
* becomes 2021 2nd if Kreider re-signs or COL win Cup in '20 or '21, 2021 1st if both happen.
- Once again similarily matches Miller/Ott trade. McGinn seems close to Stewart, while the Canes would elect to give us Mrazek, because they can let Reimer walk and run with Hank/Nedeljkovic next season. Bokk could also be Gauthier or Suzuki, although I'd assume Suzuki would not be available.

The Miller trade didn't work out well for St. Louis, so COL and CAR could very easily believe that they should err on the side of caution and wait for the offseason. There is also the potential Kreider stays and it's juts Hank, which alters the deal drastically. CAR and COL could beleive their duos (both backups are outperforming starters) can get it done through internal competition and they may see no desire to pay a steep price for Hank + Kreider.

Either way, justa thought based on one of the only recent trades involving an aging elite netminder. There have been rumors lately of both teams being interested in Hank.

This is A LOT for the Avs to fork over. Take out Bowers completely then its closer. I really don't understand why you guys would want Grubauer when you already have your goalie situation settled.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Wow, Rangers sure think they can get massive value for their goalies, Everyone knows you need to trade a goalie, and if Miller thaught us anything, trading for a first at deadline is not an automtaic win...

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
This is A LOT for the Avs to fork over. Take out Bowers completely then its closer. I really don't understand why you guys would want Grubauer when you already have your goalie situation settled.
It's more about making cap work. Also, I'm expecting a Georgiev trade as well. Georgeiv is a stellar backup who flops when given an opporunity to run with starters workload, but he's perceived as more from outsdie. It's the opposite of Hank from outsdie perspective basically. Gergiev will eventually want to try to be starter, but I've seen enoug in nY to know he won't be. Trade while value high. Next year we have duo of Shesterkin and Grubauer if we don't flip him at Draft or something.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Colorado doesn't need Kreider to have any retention, and won't pay the price Gorton wants because of that fact. Bowers is also a good prospect, and I personally would not pay that price.

This whole retention at the deadline thing, really has little to no value. At the deadline the vast majority of the season is over and the vast majority of teams have cap space due to IR. It's so little time to worry about, that the selling team usually does it as a courtesy to make the deal work. If anything, the bigger issue is contract maximum. Often selling teams take back an expiring contract to allow the buying team to be under the contract max. Once again, little to no value though.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If rangers can just unload HL to a cup hopeful like the avs it would help them tremendously....sign kreider keep both young goalies damn take a 4 th round pick it would be s win

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As a Rangers fan this hurts to propose but here goes nothing. The clock is ticking for HL and Kreider, two of the very last remaining members of the old guard. This is especially painful to consider Lundqvist gone so soon.

But, similar to the Miller & Ott deal which saw Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 2015 1st and a conditional 2016 3rd go to Buffalo, could the Rangers see a similar return for Hank + Kreids.

Kreider is a far superior player to Ott, but is a rental so that has to be taken into account. Despite the pending UFA status I still give a substantial advantage to Kreider.

Henrik Lundqvist is older than Miller, but his underlying stats still say he's capable of elite things at his age. Rangers would be willing to retain 50% and he still has another year, which gives either team acquiring 2 kicks at the can with a motivated HL.

Colorado Avalanche
- 1st + cond. 3rd + young roster player (Stewart/Jost) + goalie (Halak/Grubauer) + younger prospect (Carrier/Bowers) looks similar to return for Ott + Miller. Bowers is better than Carrier, but Kreider was better than Ott and Lundqvist has term and is not a pending UFA.
- This may be too steep a price for the Avs to pay, since Jost is much younger than Stewart was, but I don't think the Rangers would accept much less. Maybe Bowers gets downgraded to Kaut (idk how COL values him considering heart issues) or Kamenev, to compensate for Jost youth.

Carolina Hurricanes
- Once again similarily matches Miller/Ott trade. McGinn seems close to Stewart, while the Canes would elect to give us Mrazek, because they can let Reimer walk and run with Hank/Nedeljkovic next season. Bokk could also be Gauthier or Suzuki, although I'd assume Suzuki would not be available.

The Miller trade didn't work out well for St. Louis, so COL and CAR could very easily believe that they should err on the side of caution and wait for the offseason. There is also the potential Kreider stays and it's juts Hank, which alters the deal drastically. CAR and COL could beleive their duos (both backups are outperforming starters) can get it done through internal competition and they may see no desire to pay a steep price for Hank + Kreider.

Either way, justa thought based on one of the only recent trades involving an aging elite netminder. There have been rumors lately of both teams being interested in Hank.
No offense but if HL didnt bring a cup to NYR he ai t going to bring one to either the abs or canes. Pass from both

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
This whole retention at the deadline thing, really has little to know value. At the deadline the vast majority of the season is over and the vast majority of teams have cap space due to IR. It's so little time to worry about, that the selling team usually does it as a courtesy to make the deal work. If anything, the bigger issue is contract maximum. Often selling teams take back an expiring contract to allow the buying team to be under the contract max. Once again, little to no value though.
Fair enough. In that case, the 1st + Bowers + 3rd is still an overpayment for Kreider, retention or not.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lundqvist ain't going anywhere. I'd say the no one, in any sport, less likely to waive his NTC.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
This is why the pick going up from a 3rd is conditional on is Kreider re-signs, if he doesn't nothing changes. Bowers inclusion may have been expensive, but downgrade him to Kamenev and that's likely closer to a deal considering Kreider not LT fit in COL.

The conditional pick isn't really my issue here. My concern is giving up a 1st + 3rd + Jost + Bowers/Kamenev + Grubauer for two pieces we really don't need, and don't fill any sort of long term need.

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020

Colorado Avalanche

Carolina Hurricanes

For HL it's a simple conversation... What do you want to do? chase a cup(if so waive the NTC).. Retire with class? or go the buyout route? Simple A/B/C option and call it a day.. Shesty/Georgiev will play next year regardless of the trade deadline results

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I could see Lundqvist to the Sharks in the offseason if he views this year as a one-year aberration and wants to play with his buddy Karlsson. But i don't think he moves at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad