Luke Witkowski... 2 years $750K a year

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I welcome more grit to the lineup. Actual grit, though, not the fake Steve Ott agitator style.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
So because he doesn't want a fringe nhler he only wants cupcakes. Allright

You have no clue what you are getting nor what has been going on with the Tampa Bay organization since they arrived in Syracuse. There is a reason your organization has won two championships by beating the Tampa Bay organization at the AHL level. Your teams were built to play any style that the opponent wanted to and do it effectively. Tampa Bay has built the Crunch to play one style and one style only. All or nothing. It has not worked yet because Tampa Bay does not have the depth in the system at the AHL or ECHL level that everyone thinks they do.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Deep down, I'm starting to worry that Detroit has developed an Edmonton-style insular organizational culture where they bring you in not because you're explicitly an upgrade, but just because somebody in the org will vouch for you having the right character and mentality.

And just like Edmonton, Detroit seems obsessed with the idea of maintaining a certain internal winning culture, and coincidentally all the guys they already know fit that description. And it just becomes an echo chamber, both in the front office and the locker room.

Like in this case: Blash and DeKeyser know him, so he must be good! Except he's not. And he's not an upgrade.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think most of you are reading way too much into a signing like this. The reason I say that, is because injuries as always, will happen, so you need extra bodies, before those injuries hit. More than likely this signing is just a depth signing for the Red Wings.

He will probably get put on waivers, early on, clear, and then play in Grand Rapids, same as McIlrath.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Good signing bring on more toughness. The wings are going to suck either way so why not have a tough guy so that someone like Mantha doesn't get sucked into fighting as much? Drew Miller is basically replaced with a guy who will actually fill some kind of role on the team and people are crying about it.

This type of player is better ot have than Steve Ott. Witkowski plays physical like Ott, is way tougher and wont cause teams to want to run the wings good players. Everyone hated the Ott signing but ended up seeing how effective he could be with his physical play giving the team some energy

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Anshar Khan has said that he will most likely play RW and can play D, so he's a modern day Dandenault! 20 points and 50 PIM (probably more PIM in Witkowski's case).

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah glen didn't even get 15. And he gets more ice then he should. 20 is pretty amazing if it happens

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only thing that matters it that Saarijarvi and Hronek dress and play every single night in Grand Rapids next year.

As long as signings like this don't get in the way of that, could care less. Entire contract can be buried.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

That last one is against a guy that had 49 fights one season of junior

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I dont see a problem with this deal. At start of season our D will be

Green - Daley
Dekeyser - Jensen
Ouellet - Witkovsky

With some prospects sprinkled in if more injuries occur.

And he can play forward which I think was mentioned that he will.

The players actually clogging up the roster is guys like Helm and Sheahan.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I dont see a problem with this deal. At start of season our D will be

Green - Daley
Dekeyser - Jensen
Ouellet - Witkovsky

With some prospects sprinkled in if more injuries occur.

And he can play forward which I think was mentioned that he will.

The players actually clogging up the roster is guys like Helm and Sheahan.

Is there some news that I'm not aware of with Ericsson and Kronwall? While both have chronic injuries, I haven't read anything that they won't be ready for the start of the regular season. Odds are this Witkowski guy takes Tyler Bertuzzi's roster spot, not a defenseman.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Is there some news that I'm not aware of with Ericsson and Kronwall? While both have chronic injuries, I haven't read anything that they won't be ready for the start of the regular season. Odds are this Witkowski guy takes Tyler Bertuzzi's roster spot, not a defenseman.

I expect them to play 20 minutes a night :cry:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I still can't wrap my head around this one. It's strange for sure. We sign a 27 year old career AHL'er with 0 goals to play on the 4th line with Glendening because he has Michigan connections up and down the team...yeah. I like Holland's quote:

He plays tough, hard, and he knows how to play the game. It’s not only fighting, it’s being able to make the other team know that it could be a tough night, and when the other team wants to play a certain way, you’ve got the ability to respond.

Ok good to be clear it's not only fighting lol.

We need skilled players or younger guys with upside who can increase their value, not a goon. The Wings are above average in NHL fights I didn't see a problem with us being bullied. We have Ericsson and (used to have) Abdelkader. How tough is Ottawa, Tampa, Nashville, Chicago, etc., most NHL teams anymore? Can Witkowski enforce and contribute like Cody McLeod or Matt Martin? I doubt it.

I got this sense the Wings and Blashill may have ordered Athanasiou and Mantha not to fight but they insisted on going anyways. May be they think it helps put an end to our younger guys scrapping by having a true bruiser?

A stupid, lackluster, pointless signing like this makes me think a few of you who say Holland is not that dumb and he knows the team is this bad might be right. We're weathering down for a long storm in this suspended state as a bottom dweller. I think admitting the desire to rebuild and draft high would speed up the process but either way we're heading to the same place of our only hope next season: the draft lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad