Luke Witkowski... 2 years $750K a year

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Ken Campbell†@THNKenCampbell

In addition to Trevor Daley, I'm told defenseman Luke Witkowski will sign with Detroit on a one-year deal at $750,000.

EDIT: Ansar Khan†@AnsarKhanMLive
Following
More
Correction, Witkowski's deal is for two years.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This year's Ott I guess. Some cheap depth/toughness, hopefully plays well enough to be someone we can move at the TDL.

Don't know he is at actually playing hockey, but unlikely to be worse than McIlrath at least.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
That's the 2 UFA defenseman right there.

And yeah McIlrath is way tougher than this kid.
If we are trying to be tough fine... but why go with a 'poor man's' tough guy?
He isn't going to actually intimidate like a McIlrath would.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Luke is a great guy and a great leader whether he's in the NHL or the AHL. When he was not allowed to play in the AHL playoffs this season he still found his way to the arena to clean the ice for the Crunch. Oh, and awesome beard as well. You'll love him as a 6/7th defenseman.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He's gotta be a depth guy or ticketed for Grand Rapids. Weird to get him signed at the very start of free agency but whatever. I think he's a total non factor and it's a one year deal so whatevs.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Luke is a great guy and a great leader whether he's in the NHL or the AHL. When he was not allowed to play in the AHL playoffs this season he still found his way to the arena to clean the ice for the Crunch. Oh, and awesome beard as well. You'll love him as a 6/7th defenseman.

We've already got 5 of those...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When you sign a guy who makes less than 900K I don't care as long as the Ilitch's are fine with it which they seem to be. He will either make the team or be a well paid vet in GR. Either is fine with me.

I wish him luck in camp.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
He's gotta be a depth guy or ticketed for Grand Rapids. Weird to get him signed at the very start of free agency but whatever. I think he's a total non factor and it's a one year deal so whatevs.

1 year doesn't hurt, but we do have a ton of Defenseman in the organization now.

DETROIT (9)
Kronwall
Dekeyser
Daley
Green
Ericsson
Jensen
Ouellet
Sproul
Witkowski

Grand Rapids (8)
McIlrath
Lashoff
Hicketts
Rousso
Hronek
Renouf
Saarijarvi
McCarron (One way AHL only contract)

No way we carry 9 defenseman in NHL.
That leaves Sproul as potential waiver fodder IMO. And if he clears, wow what a logjam in Grand Rapids.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We already don't have enough spots for our young guys in the ahl. So that hurts that. And he's not that good so it hurts our NHL team
We have all the spots we need. Especially if Kronner is done and Sproul misses serious time. Let Witkowski/Russo/Hicketts fight it out in camp.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1 year doesn't hurt, but we do have a ton of Defenseman in the organization now.

DETROIT (9)
Kronwall
Dekeyser
Daley
Green
Ericsson
Jensen
Ouellet
Sproul
Witkowski

Grand Rapids (8)
McIlrath
Lashoff
Hicketts
Rousso
Hronek
Renouf
Saarijarvi

That leaves Sproul as potential waiver fodder IMO. And if he clears, wow what a logjam in Grand Rapids.

Vast majority of that is interchangeable players who can be waived or sent down to Toledo.

Injured Reserve All Stars:
Kronner
Maybe Ericsson

Core Players:
Green
Daley
DeKeyser
Jensen (IMO)

Key Prospects:
Hronek
Saarijarvi

The rest are fighting for spots between Detroit, Grand Rapids and Toledo. Not much to get worked out about, biggest goal for me is to be able to trade our only two solid assets: Daley and Green.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

DETROIT (9)
Kronwall
Dekeyser
Daley
Green
Ericsson
Jensen
Ouellet
Sproul
Witkowski

Grand Rapids (8)
McIlrath
Lashoff
Hicketts
Rousso
Hronek
Renouf
Saarijarvi

Yeah that last sentence is exactly why I'm not to happy about this. Already had a Witkowski in McIlrath. You resign him for two years. You obviously liked his toughness so use him instead of this redundancy. And why bury guys like Hicketts, Hronek, Saarijarvi and Renouf behind Lashoff, McIlrath and possibly Witkowski? Doesn't that seem a bit counter intuitive to the whole rebuilding idea? Idk. I guess I don't understand the logic.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Sproul with his ACL injury probably won't be ready for the start of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad