Prospect Info: Luke Tuch

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Big boys that skate well and have some talent are solid usage of picks. Tuch has the potential to be a physical winger who helps you win in the trenches. One of our many grade B prospects that could turn into a grade A if he develops well.

Adding extra 2nd and 3rd rounders is the backbone of our pool strength. People going to complain we lack blue chip prospects but that's not the point. We have done well with these picks... Possible 2nd/3rd round hits since 2017: Brook, Romanov, Harris, Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Tuch, Mysak, Kidney, Kapanen, Kostenko.

This is going to help out with depth and cap space advantage moving forward. It's also going to make our AHL team competitive which also helps development competition that raises the bar. Top of the line-up players are important but you also don't win or go on deep runs without good depth.
As long as some of them hit.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
There will be hits. Probability is there. But when we talk hits, are we talking top line players or middle of the line-up types? I see a lot of middle of the line-up types of potential

Agreed. I think Fairbrother, Mysak and Tuch will be quality bottom pair/bottom six players that can potentially move up to compliment more skilled players. Them just making the NHL is a hit, IMO.

The issue with a lot of the names mentioned, if they aren't top 4/6, they will likely be useless. I don't want to see Kidney on the 4th line or Norlinder on the bottom pair.

Reactions: Vachon23

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Injury set backs suck and I hope it won't affect his progress.

We need prospects like Tuch to pan out to accelerate the rebuild.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Agreed. I think Fairbrother, Mysak and Tuch will be quality bottom pair/bottom six players that can potentially move up to compliment more skilled players. Them just making the NHL is a hit, IMO.

The issue with a lot of the names mentioned, if they aren't top 4/6, they will likely be useless. I don't want to see Kidney on the 4th line or Norlinder on the bottom pair.

Hits are players ONLY making the NHL now? No wonder why we keep struggling...47th and 48th should give you more than just being a 12-13th forward. Neither Tuch or Mysak were seen as fillers. Alex Tuch is seen as the guy they missed in Tkachuk. And Mysak, yeah, maybe 3rd line, but a really effective one.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Hits are players ONLY making the NHL now? No wonder why we keep struggling...47th and 48th should give you more than just being a 12-13th forward. Neither Tuch or Mysak were seen as fillers. Alex Tuch is seen as the guy they missed in Tkachuk. And Mysak, yeah, maybe 3rd line, but a really effective one.

Tuch was drafted 47th, and you are comparing him to a top 5 draft pick? C'mon. Mysak is projected to being a third liner at best. If he pans out as a 4th liner, it isn't so bad. Again, for the players I mentioned, just having them on the team is a win because of what they bring. What they likely don't bring is top 6 offense at the NHL level. Nothing wrong with that for 2nd round picks.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
You sir have enormous expectations and would be disappointed in every single scout or GM in the league. Who would you have drafted in those spots that will be a top 6, top 4 guy?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You sir have enormous expectations and would be disappointed in every single scout or GM in the league. Who would you have drafted in those spots that will be a top 6, top 4 guy?

Seriously....

It only takes a minute to confirm that historically getting an NHL regular at 47-48 is a rarity...

Top 6 or top 4? There's only been a handful since 1970 lol.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
considering one was ranked 30+ spots ahead of the other, I’d say tempering expectations of Tuch would be good. He’s NOT his brother

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Tell me this then...why in the world does a team keep raving about having 12 picks in a draft or so many picks in the top 75 if in the end, it won't give us anything more than fillers or guys you could have at 750k at every UFA period?

Reactions: 1909

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
considering one was ranked 30+ spots ahead of the other, I’d say tempering expectations of Tuch would be good. He’s NOT his brother

Not about expectations. Just saying, they missed on the big guy that could be tough and scores. They then decided to go with Tuch. As simple as that. Though contrary to Crisp, Lernout, Tinordi and all those stupid picks that were SOLELY made on needs, Tuch has skills that made him a legitimate 2nd rounder.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I watched the Tuch game, good game for BU against a tough UMass team but not so good for Tuch. I got bored and started to fast forward, it says he had 4 shots, I only saw 2, 1 weak one and 1 ok one. Way too many times he didn't finish his checks, i've seen that from him before lately as that's not his game so I've been wondering why he wasn't his usual physical self. But big win for BU.
If I'm reading this right, scaling the physical aspect of his game down is something he purposely wanted to do coming back from the long break . He felt he was wasting too much energy trying to throw a lot of checks and he had to play a smarter game Espoirs du CH : les bonnes résolutions de Luke Tuch

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If I'm reading this right, scaling the physical aspect of his game down is something he purposely wanted to do coming back from the long break . He felt he was wasting too much energy trying to throw a lot of checks and he had to play a smarter game Espoirs du CH : les bonnes résolutions de Luke Tuch

I hadn't seen that article so thanks for posting it although some of it was a bit cringey, they should hire someone that knows the NCAA a bit better to do these interviews with these NCAA kids. Although I never cared for it back in the day when I interviewed Hab prospects like O'Byrne, Urquhart, Locke, etc... for HF as you feel like you are invading their personal time.

It will be interesting to see if he keeps up with this as it think it could be a mistake although it's possible his hands are better then some think and he shows more offense but in a way he reminds me a bit of McCarron. I remember thinking in his 2nd and 3rd season in the AHL that he was getting away from his game and instead of being that physical in your face, nasty piece of business he was too focused on trying to be a scorer but didn't have the help as he was with ECHLers on his wings that 3rd year and I don't know if he had the tools for it.

Not saying Tuch won't turn into a much better player then McCarron just that his game reminds me a bit of big Mike's without the fighting.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I hadn't seen that article so thanks for posting it although some of it was a bit cringey, they should hire someone that knows the NCAA a bit better to do these interviews with these NCAA kids. Although I never cared for it back in the day when I interviewed Hab prospects like O'Byrne, Urquhart, Locke, etc... for HF as you feel like you are invading their personal time.

It will be interesting to see if he keeps up with this as it think it could be a mistake although it's possible his hands are better then some think and he shows more offense but in a way he reminds me a bit of McCarron. I remember thinking in his 2nd and 3rd season in the AHL that he was getting away from his game and instead of being that physical in your face, nasty piece of business he was too focused on trying to be a scorer but didn't have the help as he was with ECHLers on his wings that 3rd year and I don't know if he had the tools for it.

Not saying Tuch won't turn into a much better player then McCarron just that his game reminds me a bit of big Mike's without the fighting.
It's all about finding the right balance I guess. I do hope he doesn't go too far away from what brought him to the dance though, his physical game is definitely one of his strong suits. He has other tools but if you take away the aggressiveness, then you're left with kind of a blah prospect.

Reactions: montreal

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Given his size and ability. He’ll at least be a bottom 6 player. That’s why you draft for size because big, fast meat is always useful. Hopefully he’ll be a player that can play up and down a lineup and have a couple years of top 6 performance and be a solid NHLer.

Reactions: dralaf and EXPOS123

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Given his size and ability. He’ll at least be a bottom 6 player. That’s why you draft for size because big, fast meat is always useful. Hopefully he’ll be a player that can play up and down a lineup and have a couple years of top 6 performance and be a solid NHLer.

I always liked Mysak and Tuch picks at 2nd round by Habs. I think both have potential to be solid 3rd liners at NHL, maybe more if both develop their offensive potential.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Agree with the first part... not so sure about the 2nd...

We've got a long franchise list of guys drafted for size that never amounted to nhl regulars, even bottom 6.

Conversely, over the last 20 yrs our lineup has constantly seen smallish guys drafted low who, thanks to being good hockey players, eventually became nhl regulars...

But hopefully Tuch has enough hockey sense & skill to leverage the size and work ethic factors into a long nhl career with us!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Luke Tuch this year did not get great stats, but I think he is still a very legit prospect. Next year will be important for him to show what he can do.

So now we just need a big skilled winger left winger to Olay with Suzuki and CC assuming Roy becomes a top six forward the way he looks like he will.

LW - Suzuki - CC
Roy - Wright - Anderson

Solid top 6 assuming that LW is a good player, maybe Dubois comes home as a UFA or forces a trade. One can dream.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Luke Tuch this year did not get great stats, but I think he is still a very legit prospect. Next year will be important for him to show what he can do.

I think Luke projects more as a middle sixer. I still think production wise he ends up closer to Andrew shaw. 15-20 goals 35-40 points. Most years closer to the bottom of the range.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
What was the projection on Josh Anderson at 19? I don't say Tuch will end up a second line winger, but the potential is there. It will depend on where he is now on his maturation curve.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What was the projection on Josh Anderson at 19? I don't say Tuch will end up a second line winger, but the potential is there. It will depend on where he is now on his maturation curve.
Tuch doesn’t have the speed like his brother but is way more physical - Anderson was always a speed demon w that size even in London

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad