Luke Schenn

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I understand your feelings and I agree I wish they had packaged him for a better defensemen, maybe Yandle which IIRC was the rumor, but I'm fine with Luke. It's the past now anyway, no sense lamenting what could've been!

The past is all we have! The Sixers are currently the best team in the city lol.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The past is all we have! The Sixers are currently the best team in the city lol.

Well hopefully that doesn't last and I'm pretty sure it won't but I like their agressiveness. I do believe if they are successful in this upcoming draft with a couple of 1st rounder blue chippers and then sign some impact FA's..they will win a Championship quicker than any of the other major sport teams in Philly who continue to spin their wheels b/c of lack of continuity with their plans...

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Well hopefully that doesn't last and I'm pretty sure it won't but I like their agressiveness. I do believe if they are successful in this upcoming draft with a couple of 1st rounder blue chippers and then sign some impact FA's..they will win a Championship quicker than any of the other major sport teams in Philly who continue to spin their wheels b/c of lack of continuity with their plans...

I read this, and I know there's other words in there, but all I read was

"Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies...Phillies..."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's interesting to see the Luke Schenn debate on here, it's quite similar to the running conversation we've had since we drafted him in Toronto.

Schenn sucks, but because of the hugely expensive price it took for Toronto and Philadelphia to get him (we had to trade up to the 5 spot which was the highest the team had drafted since 1989), there's always a portion of the fanbase who has to make excuses for him.

He can't skate, which compromises everything. His vision and IQ isn't special and he has a low panic threshold, so he's basically overwhelmed by the play around him and in his head. He's strong and willing to lay the body but it's usually useless hits on the boards that often doesn't even cause a turn over. He has a good outlet pass, but a slow wind up which makes his point shot useless.

People say Schenn is young, and in a way this is a good excuse for him. Maybe one day he'll grow into a Luke Richardson type veteran defenseman who can really play a limited solid game, but it's not worth it to any organization to wait on those growing pains. He also came into the league in a man's body and has logged close to 400 games so on the other hand, there's no physical maturation or some lightbulb going off in his head.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
It's interesting to see the Luke Schenn debate on here, it's quite similar to the running conversation we've had since we drafted him in Toronto.

Schenn sucks, but because of the hugely expensive price it took for Toronto and Philadelphia to get him (we had to trade up to the 5 spot which was the highest the team had drafted since 1989), there's always a portion of the fanbase who has to make excuses for him.

He can't skate, which compromises everything. His vision and IQ isn't special and he has a low panic threshold, so he's basically overwhelmed by the play around him and in his head. He's strong and willing to lay the body but it's usually useless hits on the boards that often doesn't even cause a turn over. He has a good outlet pass, but a slow wind up which makes his point shot useless.

People say Schenn is young, and in a way this is a good excuse for him. Maybe one day he'll grow into a Luke Richardson type veteran defenseman who can really play a limited solid game, but it's not worth it to any organization to wait on those growing pains. He also came into the league in a man's body and has logged close to 400 games so on the other hand, there's no physical maturation or some lightbulb going off in his head.

Your post is just spewing bias because I guess you still feel the need to go on another team's board and trash Schenn.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Your post is just spewing bias because I guess you still feel the need to go on another team's board and trash Schenn.

Actually a lot of what he says is true of Schenn on the Flyers. I wouldn't say he has a low panic threshold though. He's better than that but in a much worse situation right now, present day.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree....I didn't think it was that much off-base..sadly. But where is the mention of the one eye or the pelican/flamingo stance when he attempts to block shots? Glaring omissions :sarcasm:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You guys might not believe it but Schenn has never been the same player since being in Ron Wilson's dog house on numerous occasions. Wilson ruined a ton of Leaf players.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
You guys might not believe it but Schenn has never been the same player since being in Ron Wilson's dog house on numerous occasions. Wilson ruined a ton of Leaf players.

That couldn't have helped his confidence but that should no longer affect him anymore since he has had a fresh start here. I just think he has a limited skill set. He's good for blocking shots and crushing a puck carrier along the boards and that's pretty much it. He's not that great of a passer, his decision making is mediocre at best and he constantly hesitates to shoot the puck when he has an opportunity to. I like him because he is one of those guys who gives it his all but I just don't see the upside in him. I still think he is NHL worthy though.

I certainly wouldn't call him a bum like others have suggested he is. Just a player who was drafted way too high and traded for a player with a much better skill set.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He used to have an excellent first pass and the most confidence I have seen him play was with Kaberle. Schenn wasn't afraid to try to stick handle through players at the blue-line, and it was surprisingly effective.

He seems to have some serious confidence issues though.

Cando

Apr 2, 2013
There was a time when he was known as the "Human Eraser"... that was quite a while ago...

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in. I think you guys are being a little harsh on Schenner. Granted he should probably be a little better than he currently is at the moment, but he is also still VERY young and learning as he goes. He's only 23. Most shutdown defensemen don't hit their full stride until they are in their mid-to-late late twenties when they have had a few years banked up in the experience department. Luke will be fine and will be a defensive rock for you guys in a few short seasons. Just have patience with him and you will reap the rewards. As you can tell, I still love Schenner and hope nothing but the best for him and you guys in return (as long as it's not against the Leafs). Cheers!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think schenn has been fine. He is not a offensive dman. We didn't get him to be one. He will get better and does well with more Ice time. He did great last year at the end plating all those minutes. I'd like to see him take over most of kimos minutes. I think the true gauge is to see him in the playoffs. He may be a great **** down reliable guy that is very important.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last year he was the greatest thing that had happened to the Flyers D in years.

I understand everyone rushing round trying to understand why the team should be doing so much better than this... but Schenn has played fine this year.

The only concern I have is if rumours of his lack of fitness coming in were true, hence his lack of minutes, as him and Gus have been the two guys who you notice the least in their own zone. (outside of one or two plays almost ten games ago)

But all I have ever heard about Luke indicates he is a bit of a work out warrior, so not sure how much credence that has unless he went overboard on weights or something (which can inhibit hockey or any other sport playing fitness.)

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Meh, I am biased against LSchenn. That is mainly because I never wanted the Flyers to trade for him, especially at the cost of JVR. Yes, I still link that trade to both players cause the reality is they were traded for each other. There is no way to separate the players from the trade when they were a part of it.

I am starting to lean towards LSchenn taking the Leafs bad curse or w/e it is and bringing it here to Philly and I don't even believe in that stuff.

Am I being irrational? Yes, but I don't really care at the moment. Need something to blame for this mess. :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think schenn has been fine. He is not a offensive dman. We didn't get him to be one. He will get better and does well with more Ice time. He did great last year at the end plating all those minutes. I'd like to see him take over most of kimos minutes. I think the true gauge is to see him in the playoffs. He may be a great **** down reliable guy that is very important.

I agree. It is hard to look good as a complimentary players when you are playing beside garbage. Timmon looked good last year...even though he lost a step...and Schenn did as well. I bet Schenn would look great beside PK, Peitrangelo, Doughty, etc...He will never LEAD the pairing, but can be great next to a good skating d-man.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Who cares what their upside is, it's what they actually bring. Admittedly, JVR is currently showing a lot. I'm still convinced he never would've brought that out had he stayed here, because he just wouldn't get the same opportunity. So I'd rather have a 2nd pairing man than a guy that has the "offensive upside", but never shows it.

I'm not even sure how anyone could think that. How could you not care what their upside is when we're talking about young players? Every impact player in the came started out as a young player with "upside".

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Why wouldn't I be biased? I watched my favorite team invest their first rebuild pick on a dud who can't play the modern game, who wasn't the "generational shut down" defenseman McGuire creamed his pants about, a guy our fanbase had to downgrade in expectation from whispers of Scott Stevens to Shea Weber to Adam Foote, to just a guy who could go a game or two without brutal miscues and giveaways. I spent five years pulling out my hair watching him play, he's probably my most disliked ex-Leafs ever.

Schenn is a shut down guy, if the team needs goals or has a small lead, he won't be out there. Look at Sat. They had a big lead, Schenn got 18+ mins, I think the most all year, but it was also the first game they had a multi-goal lead going into the 3rd period or at least late into the 3rd.

This makes no sense. A defensive defenseman is a guy you want out there to defend a small lead by definition, not a guy you throw out when the game is in the bag. Schenn is a defensive defenseman who can't defend.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree....I didn't think it was that much off-base..sadly. But where is the mention of the one eye or the pelican/flamingo stance when he attempts to block shots? Glaring omissions :sarcasm:

You're right. That shot block is about as signature of his as the spin o rama was to Denis Savard.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I agree. It is hard to look good as a complimentary players when you are playing beside garbage. Timmon looked good last year...even though he lost a step...and Schenn did as well. I bet Schenn would look great beside PK, Peitrangelo, Doughty, etc...He will never LEAD the pairing, but can be great next to a good skating d-man.

Yea I think he will a lot more impressive to the fan base playing with one of the three young guys we having coming up.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Schenn handles the puck like a grenade. It's tough to watch. There's a hesitation every time he touches the puck- whether he's shooting or passing. He's been a turnover machine this year. Between him and Grossmann, they are pretty much the same player. You shouldn't have two of them on the same roster. Homer really does not value mobility on the backend.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Schenn handles the puck like a grenade. It's tough to watch. There's a hesitation every time he touches the puck- whether he's shooting or passing. He's been a turnover machine this year. Between him and Grossmann, they are pretty much the same player. You shouldn't have two of them on the same roster. Homer really does not value mobility on the backend.

And then Berube replaces Luke Schenn with Hal Gill :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad