Luke Schenn

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Well Schenn was far and away one of our top couple of d-men last year, we all know that. While I can say that I've also noticed him too often looking a thought behind in the defensive end when being forechecked, I'm also inclined to believe that this is in large part due to complete lack of cohesion in team defense in the first handful of games. As our break-out puck support has continuously gotten better, the confidence of our defense on these split second plays seems to be gaining.

Berube is in the midst of implementing a system that is very responsible on our side of the puck and confusion amongst player assignments and break-out positions is inevitable.

Schenn has plenty of improvements to make and he likely will if things continue in the right direction for the team as a whole.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Also, Coburn spending a lot of that time on a very good playoff team with good offense, and Schenn spending it on a trainwreck.*

*While being told to play like a flamingo and with blindness in one eye :laugh:

Ofc... I mean that is the only reason a right handed D man would ever play right d ... as HE IS COMPLETELY BLIND IN HIS RIGHT EYE...

That goal he scored this year literally was the greatest goal ever then if those TO fans were to be believed, as he went round a guy and put the puck in the net while not being able to see anything. Senses of a bat.

Lmao at that whole thread.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ofc... I mean that is the only reason a right handed D man would ever play right d ... as HE IS COMPLETELY BLIND IN HIS RIGHT EYE...

That goal he scored this year literally was the greatest goal ever then if those TO fans were to be believed, as he went round a guy and put the puck in the net while not being able to see anything. Senses of a bat.

Lmao at that whole thread.

I thought I did hear him screeching as he moved in to echo-locate the net.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Maybe i am blind (like Schenn is according to TOR fans) but I don't see him playing that poorly. His errors aren't any worse or more frquent then any other defender.

I actually thought he played really Sat. I think he plays better with more minutes. The mistakes he makes aren't from panicking with the puck but from poor judgement which can improve with experience.

Worse case scenario, the Flyers have a Jason Smith or Luke Richardson type d man for the next decade (leadership, tough, character) but Schenn already has better offensive skills then both of them.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If JVR hadn't emerged into the stud he's playing like in TO, you'd never hear about Schenn's struggles.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If JVR hadn't emerged into the stud he's playing like in TO, you'd never hear about Schenn's struggles.

This. People need to isolate Luke from JVR in their minds and just evaluate players objectively (this also applies to B Schenn IMO being one of the main pieces in the Richards trade).

Honestly if people think Luke's been that terrible they need to pay closer attention to Coburn, Kimmo and Grossmann who have all been just as bad in their own zone if not worse at times. The only reason they aren't getting the same attention is because Dreger didn't write an article about them :facepalm: and they are getting more ice time compared to Schenn (which obviously isn't a great indication of performance considering a guy who avg'd about 3 minutes more per game is a healthy scratch for 5 consecutive games while Luke is still playing). :shakehead

He's only 23 and has a few years of learning (from guys like Pronger and Hatcher) before hitting his prime. I'm not worried about him one bit. As the season goes on he'll get more ice time and someone like Dreger will write another article about how he's thriving under Chief or something and magically everyone will shut up about him, mark my words.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
We don't have a top tier dman on this team. Comparing schenn to other teams 3-4 dmen and he isn't bad. He's still young. I think he will get better over the next two seasons.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
He looked pretty decent last year. He needs to lose some weight or muscle and add some agility. He would get more minutes that way. I think he'll recover.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We don't have a top tier dman on this team. Comparing schenn to other teams 3-4 dmen and he isn't bad. He's still young. I think he will get better over the next two seasons.

I think this is spot on. I don't think Schenn is a #1 defender by any stretch, nor do I think he ever will be. But I think he could be a top tier shutdown defender. A guy who could play a nice compliment to a more offensive-minded defenseman. Maybe in a couple years he could be a partner for a guy like Haag or Ghost. Let them handle the offensive duties and let Schenn bail them out on the defensive side. Or, put him out there with an equally defensive-minded type of player and just have a tough, bruising pair that handles the tough minutes.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Maybe i am blind (like Schenn is according to TOR fans) but I don't see him playing that poorly. His errors aren't any worse or more frquent then any other defender.

I actually thought he played really Sat. I think he plays better with more minutes. The mistakes he makes aren't from panicking with the puck but from poor judgement which can improve with experience.

Worse case scenario, the Flyers have a Jason Smith or Luke Richardson type d man for the next decade (leadership, tough, character) but Schenn already has better offensive skills then both of them.

I think Schenn is one of the most underrated passer in the league.
Everybody thinks he's only a bruiser who can't do anything with the puck. While that may be true in terms of carrying it, he's probably our second best outlet-passer after Streit. You rarely see him not getting it tape-to-tape.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Substitute Grossman for Schenn. Then compare TOI stats. Grossman is and will only ever be a shutdown dman. Yet He plays more minutes than Schenn.

Did you not see him during that breakaway on the island? Guy's got sick sniper hands.

RJ8812*

I thought he played good last night, but the entire team looks lost most of the time

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Just by looking at his junior stats the Leafs are dumb if they thought he would become a 1Dman, franchise Dman come with the full package.

He will be a very good shutdown top 4dman with a cheap cap hit we should lock him before he turns into something special and cost us alot

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
He is a second pairing guy who does a lot of little things well, probably out best dman, but still a 2nd pairing guy and that is where the problems lay with this team

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
If he can improve his quickness so he can join the rush, he would be a much better player.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I told you guys before that we'd regret that trade. JVR has 1st line upside while Luke is most likely just a 2nd pairing dman.

I also told you guys that much of Luke looking so good last year was because of being paired with Timonen. Where are all the guys who said I was wrong, didn't know anything, and that Luke was a legit #2 man RIGHT NOW???

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He is a second pairing guy who does a lot of little things well, probably out best dman, but still a 2nd pairing guy and that is where the problems lay with this team

i think they run from 2/3 to 4/5 but thats a problem too. theres no stud #1 to carry them and no 6 to blame everything on. our 7 is really just another of those guys but injured. i like that chief is keeping the minutes close because if the dcore is gonna work it has to have solid chemistry.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I told you guys before that we'd regret that trade. JVR has 1st line upside while Luke is most likely just a 2nd pairing dman.

I also told you guys that much of Luke looking so good last year was because of being paired with Timonen. Where are all the guys who said I was wrong, didn't know anything, and that Luke was a legit #2 man RIGHT NOW???
Who cares what their upside is, it's what they actually bring. Admittedly, JVR is currently showing a lot. I'm still convinced he never would've brought that out had he stayed here, because he just wouldn't get the same opportunity. So I'd rather have a 2nd pairing man than a guy that has the "offensive upside", but never shows it.

Also, who cares what you told us? :laugh:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

Tell me what you thought about when you were gone and so alone

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Schenn is a Top 4 dman, and getting them is always a good idea, but they should not have traded Jvr for him. I said it the day of the trade, he was the only person on the team that could fill the #1 winger spot we needed to play with Giroux. He was ready to turn the corner, but injuries severely limited him in his last year here.

I'm glad Schenn has been a solid player because I was expecting him to suck, but I'll probably always be pissed that they traded Jvr for him.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Schenn is a Top 4 dman, and getting them is always a good idea, but they should not have traded Jvr for him. I said it the day of the trade, he was the only person on the team that could fill the #1 winger spot we needed to play with Giroux. He was ready to turn the corner, but injuries severely limited him in his last year here.

I'm glad Schenn has been a solid player because I was expecting him to suck, but I'll probably always be pissed that they traded Jvr for him.

I understand your feelings and I agree I wish they had packaged him for a better defensemen, maybe Yandle which IIRC was the rumor, but I'm fine with Luke. It's the past now anyway, no sense lamenting what could've been!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad