Luke Schenn

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by kjbhockey, Oct 28, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. kjbhockey

kjbhockey Registered User

I have to saw after watching every game this year this guy looks completely lost. Dreger's article may have been dead on when he quoted an internal source that stated they were worried if Luke can even play anymore. He is a turnover machine. Anytime there is some resemblance of a forecheck he panics and turns the puck. I'm not talking throwing the puck of the boards a la Ryan Parent style but right up the middle or a muffin around the wall the creates scoring chances. People keep on saying "He's young", or "He'll figure it out". He's got 5 seasons under his belt at this point. I don't think a tiger can change it stripes this late in the game. We essentially gave up a top six forward with speed and size for a 6th defensemen. Just look at his minutes. They are hiding him. I'd love to hear other fans thoughts on him.

Last edited by moderator MiamiScreamingEagles: Nov 10, 2013
  2. JDinkalage Morgoone

JDinkalage Morgoone U of South Flurrida

Kickboard Enthusiast
    A 23 year old tiger can't change his stripes and become a better player? That's insane.

I also disagree on your opinion of his play.

3. Hiesenberg

Hiesenberg Registered User

Schenn is a shut down guy, if the team needs goals or has a small lead, he won't be out there. Look at Sat. They had a big lead, Schenn got 18+ mins, I think the most all year, but it was also the first game they had a multi-goal lead going into the 3rd period or at least late into the 3rd.

4. Flyersfan731

Flyersfan731 Registered User

U know I see the same thing but I hope he gets it together cuz imagine what he was supposed to be

5. Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus Fugu Invicta

This. And the team has been in desperate need of goals all season.

6. JDinkalage Morgoone

JDinkalage Morgoone U of South Flurrida

Kickboard Enthusiast
    Yes yes yes yes yes. Thank you. He won't play big minutes if the team isn't scoring. He's there to shut down the other team. No one realizes this!

7. FlyersFanz

FlyersFanz aut viam inveniam au

Account Executive
    Great point...Schenn is only 23 in a league that Dmen hit their prime around 27 yrs old, he's still learning and give him time.

8. DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers Provolone & The Neck

Schenn is fine. He wasn't brought in to be a flashy, light it up type of player. He's a shutdown guy. He contributes in ways the stat sheet doesn't see (and in ways most fans don't see). He's not a Norris Trophy guy now (and probably never will be), but he's a solid defender right now, and should only get better.

9. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Registered User

LSchenn was 2nd on the team in minutes last year. He's not going to be 6th amongst defensemen forever.

He also has a great wrist shot.

10. LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91 Registered User

Unfortunately he's often too reluctant to shoot the puck even when he has great opportunities to do so.

11. whatthef

whatthef Failure is an Option

I agree with this in why his ice time is low. But I also don't think that highly of him. I don't think as badly of him as the OP, but for a defensive defenseman he's not that good defensively and makes too many dumb decisions with the puck.

12. Jtown

Jtown Registered User

Substitute Grossman for Schenn. Then compare TOI stats. Grossman is and will only ever be a shutdown dman. Yet He plays more minutes than Schenn.

13. Hiesenberg

My point is that's why Schenn's ice time is so low, until recently the Flyers have been losing or down. Schenn will not get ice time that way

14. Appleyard

Appleyard Registered User

Student/law/stat/research
    All this talk of Schenn and his ceiling as a shut down D man. (insinuating 10-15 points and playing #5 really...)

While I agree he is better at the defensive aspects of the game, he really is not too ineffective in terms of point production.

Over the last 5 years him and Coburn have been almost identical in PPG, and 1 and a half of those years Coburn was getting extensive PP time.

I like Coburn, but he is not going to live up to his potential that his athleticism showed, that 36 point season was 6 years ago now, and he has not really shown he can replicate it.

Schenn gets 20-25 points (factored) pretty consistently with minimal PP time and average skating, and he can pass the puck out and shoot while being sound defensively.

Last 5 years:

Coburn: 367 GP 94P
    Schenn: 367 GP 87P

If his skating could get that bit better I can honestly imagine him hovering in the high 20's for points on average.

I think due to the average skating people don't see that he is actually pretty decent with the puck on his stick, as he does not have those crazily nice rushes that Coburn will do once every 10 games that make everyone sit up and think he is better offensively than he is.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  15. FlyersFanz

FlyersFanz aut viam inveniam au

Account Executive
    Schenn ain't the only one on this team.....Giroux?

16. Hiesenberg

I think the more important part of that stat is Coburn (28), Schenn (23)

17. zarley zelepukin

zarley zelepukin Registered User

That's what people said about JVR. I wasn't a big fan of the trade but it's dumb to write off Schenn at his age. Just because a guy starts in the NHL at a young age doesn't necessarily mean he'll reach his ceiling sooner than a guy who spends more time as an amateur, it just means his game was more developed or more suitable for the NHL sooner.

18. Appleyard

Yep, Schenn has put up similar numbers to Coburn from the age of 18-23 as Coburn age 23-28, and also Schenn has played a heck of a lot less minutes over that time (admittedly due to his inconsistency... he has had 3 years where he was a 22 minute, 20-25 point D man and 2 years where he was a 16-18 minute, 15 point D man.) A lot of D men don't get in the league until they are 22-24.

If Schenn can play as he did last year, 3 years ago or his first year in the league consistently, 22+ minutes a night, 25 point while being very solid in his own end, that is a pretty damn valuable asset to have on your blueline when his age is considered, guys like that also don't cost the world, but contribute.

19. kjbhockey

kjbhockey Registered User

He needs to work on his foot speed and decision making. Right now, both of those are awful. So the consensus here is to only deploy him when we have a lead and protect him when we don't? What kind of thinking is that? He should be able to handle all situations.

20. Flyerfan4life

Flyerfan4life Registered User

weird.. i dont have a problem with Lukes body of work since arriving.

and i dont miss JVR so im still happy with the trade.

now if you were mentioning Coburn. now that i will agree is a problem player

21. Legion of Gloom

Legion of Gloom The Holy Ghost

The blue bus is callin' us
    I am a big fan of Luke, then again i also like Coburn

22. Protest

Protest C`est La Vie

1) That's like 100 in cat years.

2) No, he can't. He doesn't have the technology or the steady hands to pull off a procedure like that.

23. Stizzle

Stizzle Registered User

I don't get the Luke bashing. He was really strong last year, especially in the second half. This year he hasn't stood out so far, but few people have on the entire team. To say he has been bad or has turned the puck over a lot is just a big exaggeration.

24. Appleyard

His foot speed needs work... his decision making, especially defensively and on outlets is ok.

Ottawa don't put out Karlsson when they are a few goals up as much as they usually do, ditto Pitt with Letang, Campbell in Florida.

Players have different roles.

The Flyers have needed goals almost exclusively all year, so it is natural guys who have more potential offence play more.

Kimmo, Streit, Coburn and Gus lead in minutes on D, which reflects that really (Coburn is getting 2 less minutes than he has been in the last few years.) Schenn has been underplayed still though, but his minutes being down are understandable... just not by that much.

There are not many guys that play all situations up and down the league. (1st unit PK, 1st unit PP, 23+ mins a night.)

Chara, Keith, Seabrook, Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson and Subban are pretty much the only guys in the league who play all situations.

That is why those guys are considered to be the best D men in the NHL... and would cost any team wanting one of them an arm and a leg.

(Well, Dion Phaneuf and Kronvall I am sure do as well... and Kimmo a few years back, but they are a cut below really.)

25. Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus Fugu Invicta

Also, Coburn spending a lot of that time on a very good playoff team with good offense, and Schenn spending it on a trainwreck.*

*While being told to play like a flamingo and with blindness in one eye :laugh: