OT: Luke Schenn - What happened?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He got pyloned way too often to be an effective NHL'er - case in point - 1st game head-to-head JVR went around him like he was standing still for a goal.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
A remember somebody asking on here "if the leafs were to win the cup in the next 7-10 years who of the current roster would still be on the team" everybody said Schenn.. i mean everybody

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
was grilled on here for saying his potential was Luke Richardson, he'd be lucky to have a career like Luke Richardson.

He's turning into a crappier version of Aki Berg...

what's that supposed to mean.

Schenn isn't anywhere near the Dman Aki was (and still is)

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
A remember somebody asking on here "if the leafs were to win the cup in the next 7-10 years who of the current roster would still be on the team" everybody said Schenn.. i mean everybody

That's the thing.. It was just a matter of time before he was to become the Leafs captain, and to go from that to irrelevant... Were we guilty of overrating him? To an extent, sure (and you can say that about most new top draft picks) but he hasn't developed at all! And it's not like there were issues with work ethic.

Watched him several times last season and he looked worse than I remember him with the Leafs. Slow, lacklustre and it was sad to watch.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
man only if the flyers fans were in-charge instead of holmgren. :laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1080299

(the thread above is locked, so hopefully its not breaking any board rules)

we're definitely lucky to have gotten JVR. I remember JVR had concussion issues (at the time of the trade) and along with a long term contract posed a risk for flyers mangement and they thought getting rid of him for l.schenn would be smart. burke was there at the right place and right time and took advantage of the situation and flyers management's vulnerability.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

I remember defending the trade because people were upset we were giving up on Schenn. I thought both Schenn and JVR would be better than they are today though. Instead Schenn busted hard and JVR hasn't been as dominant as I thought he would become.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was faster and more mobile his rookie year, not sure what happened in the years following that promising season.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It seems like just yesterday that he stepped into the league as a 19 year old and the future looked so bright. An Adam Foote would be good, we thought. Early on his presence was exciting, shadowing Malkin, sticking up for teammates, etc.

Couple of years on and Luke is almost 25, and as it seems barely in the Flyer's top 6.

Obviously we won the trade, but what happened to Luke?

he was grossly, comically over-rated on these boards back in the day. Now a lot of those same fans that pumped his tires pretend that he got worse.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's the same player he always was, really no better or worse. He looked a bit better in his early seasons because he was playing on some absolutely awful Toronto teams, where fairly weak players looked better than they were due to so little competition for ice time/responsibility. Here were our leaders in ATOI, in order, in Schenn's much-hyped rookie season (08/09):

Tomas Kaberle, 23:28 mpg
Ian White, 22:51 mpg
Pavel Kubina, 22:03 mpg
Luke Schenn, 21:32 mpg
Jeff Finger, 20:29 mpg
Mike Van Ryn, 19:37 mpg
Jason Blake, 18:20 mpg
Dominic Moore, 17:18 mpg
Jay Harrison, 17:16 mpg
Nik Antropov, 17:13 mpg
Niklas Hagman, 17:05 mpg
Matt Stajan, 16:56 mpg

It was an insanely bad team. Not hard to seem decent when you're being compared to very, very weak teammates.

Schenn's CRAZY strong, great at winning puck battles, but pretty much a liability in all other ways. Very poor/slow skater, poor vision, meh hands, little offensive talent in general. Obviously his lack of progression since his rookie season is an issue, but really his skill level is just that of a bottom pairing dman.

Last edited:

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It's funny to look back in trade proposal threads and other threads from 5-6 years ago and see everyone say teams would have to pay Kings ransom for Luke. One of the threads said they wouldn't trade him for Doughty lol.

I thought highly of him too. Esp after his rookie season. I guess the lesson to be learned here is that you shouldn't overhype prospects or sell them short. We see it done all the time on here.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Maybe Burke was right about him, should've gone back to Kelowna.

It was strange that his D partner (Myers) was heralded more by their coaching staff.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I think the best explanation is he was over played and not developed.

Ron Wilson had a very specific way he felt Schenn should play. Schenn did his best to fill that role. But the role was to get the most out of Schenn at an early age, not develop him into a better player down the road.

We were lucky to cash out when we did as we did he and the team no favors by rushing him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the best explanation is he was over played and not developed.

Ron Wilson had a very specific way he felt Schenn should play. Schenn did his best to fill that role. But the role was to get the most out of Schenn at an early age, not develop him into a better player down the road.

We were lucky to cash out when we did as we did he and the team no favors by rushing him.

Yeah that's a good explanation, but maybe Schenn just had extremely limited potential regardless of Wilson. He doesn't appear to have much in the toolbox to suggest that he could have blossomed into something more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad