OT: Luke Schenn - What happened?

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It seems like just yesterday that he stepped into the league as a 19 year old and the future looked so bright. An Adam Foote would be good, we thought. Early on his presence was exciting, shadowing Malkin, sticking up for teammates, etc.

Couple of years on and Luke is almost 25, and as it seems barely in the Flyer's top 6.

Obviously we won the trade, but what happened to Luke?

leafstilldeath*

It seems like just yesterday that he stepped into the league as a 19 year old and the future looked so bright. An Adam Foote would be good, we thought. Early on his presence was exciting, shadowing Malkin, sticking up for teammates, etc.

Couple of years on and Luke is almost 25, and as it seems barely in the Flyer's top 6.

has not improved his skating. Once he improves his skating he would be a studd

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Slow foot speed and poor puck moving abilities.

There were periods of time with the Leafs where he was shining, but he can't keep up with the speedier NHL'ers and has made some god awful give-aways on breakouts.

He might have ended up an Adam Foote in the old clutch and grab era but not now.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I guess to get to that next level requires an unreal amount of work put in. Luke Schenn wasn't really conditioned well in Toronto. He was huge and was asked to beef up more in Toronto, whereas he should have been asked to lose weight and focus on power skating. He never developed a shot - all that results in an average to below average D-man.

Is he a bust yet? I think its still a little early. Maybe he needs to train under someone who can help him improve his skating and maybe then at least he can use his strength to make impact.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast

Leafs ruined him, brought up to early. What else is new.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Schenn.gif

This is Ben Smith. A 4th liner.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
every year some dumb team wastes a top ten pick on a "defensive dman" with little actual skill. every year. schenn cowen valabik alzner larsson gudbranson etc etc.

teams really should stop doing that.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
every year some dumb team wastes a top ten pick on a "defensive dman" with little actual skill. every year. schenn cowen valabik alzner larsson gudbranson etc etc.

Alzner is actually really good, though.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
He can't skate and the same thing is going to happen to Nazem Kadri he's a poor skater as well, he'll be the next Schenn on the Leafs.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Completely mismanaged from day one = horrible development = Luke Schenn

Instead of waiting until his foot speed improved while slowly increasing his weight Fletch and Wilson tossed him to the wolves.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
He can't skate and the same thing is going to happen to Nazem Kadri he's a poor skater as well, he'll be the next Schenn on the Leafs.

I actually lol'd at this.

I wouldn't call Kadri an elite skater but his acceleration isn't bad, he is nothing like Luke Schenn. The only reason to even bring him into this conversation is likely due to some overflowing irrational hate.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I actually lol'd at this.

I wouldn't call Kadri an elite skater but his acceleration isn't bad, he is nothing like Luke Schenn. The only reason to even bring him into this conversation is likely due to some overflowing irrational hate.

Anyone with an ounce of rational thought knows those two guys are not only different kinds if players, but different body types. But then certain people you just shouldn't expect much from.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Larsson is far from a "defensive Dman with little actual skill".

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
He sucked here and he sucks even more in Philly, thats what happened

ActiveToronto

Aug 21, 2014
Facebk@ActiveToronto
toronto didn't ruin him. he never had the foot speed, iq and hands to do it. has nothing to do with confidence. he might be able to improve it a bit through training but that's about it..ultimately there are things you're born with or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad