Blue Jays Discussion: Luke Maile: Ace Reliever edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This guy is really going to keep pinch running for Vlad eh

Ugh. At least if it was Brito it would be somewhat defensible because the speed difference is substantial enough that it could actually have an impact. But Hanson is almost exactly as fast as Vlad. He's removing Vlad from the game and not actually getting a baserunning upgrade.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ugh. At least if it was Brito it would be somewhat defensible because the speed difference is substantial enough that it could actually have an impact. But Hanson is almost exactly as fast as Vlad. He's removing Vlad from the game and not actually getting a baserunning upgrade.
Yeah Montoyo keeps doing these little things that are really really dumb. To early to really judge him but I have a lot of reservations about him long term.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The team is going to suck for the next season or two though. There is really no point tip toeing into a rebuild. I mean they arguably did tip toe into the rebuild a couple years ago....which was a mistake.
According to who? There's no reason why this team + Bichette + Pearson and the others are going to suck the next few years.

I wouldn't be shocked if they finished the year around .500 this year.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Stroman on a 5 year deal only takes him to 33. If you can get him for good value there's no point trading him.

Something will have gone terribly wrong if we're still not competing in 5 years from now.

You still would like to have young-ish vets on the team when all the young guys come up.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Stroman on a 5 year deal only takes him to 33. If you can get him for good value there's no point trading him.

Something will have gone terribly wrong if we're still not competing in 5 years from now.

You still would like to have young-ish vets on the team when all the young guys come up.

Ya wouldn't be the worst. I just don't think good value is something that Stroman is gonna be down with

Reactions: TML Dynasty

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Ya wouldn't be the worst. I just don't think good value is something that Stroman is gonna be down with
He's been preaching that he wants to stay, he reps the city/country hard, and judging by how free agency is going, if you can get him locked up for an AAV between $10-15 million over 4-6 years, I would do it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
12:29Jennifer : Loved your top 10 mock! Who would be your pick for the Blue Jays in that scenario?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
12:30Kiley McDaniel: Don’t have a ton of dope on their preferences there, but the leading candidates would be the four referenced in the article (Jung, Busch, Carroll, Thompson) as top 10 candidates that didn’t make the mock. I think they are leaning college and Jung would be my best guess.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I actually like where the Jays are headed. I still have my reservations about them spending on FA's to bolster their rosters but time will tell. I can tell you right now Keuchel between Stroman and Sanchez would be a top 3 that would be solid and help this team out not only this year but down the road. On offence the addition of Vlad and eventually Bichette where else do they need an upgrade? If Galvis plays this well maybe he plays SS and Bichette moves over to 2b then you have your infield of Vlad, Galvis, Bichette and Smoak and Jensen at C. The OF I guess outside of Grichuk and Hernandez could use an upgrade but then the bullpen is a year to year revolving door of arms.

The rotation if adding Keuchel now would really turn into a decent one and the bench has guys that can play multiple positions.

I don't think they are as far off to compete as most think. A few shrewd trades or FA signings and they could compete

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm kind of done with all this blowing up - Pillar was a good call and Smoak at least makes sense, but I won't be happy if they get rid of Stroman. Sure it might be nice to have younger players but chances are they won't be as good as our mid-age top guys. I also wouldn't mind if the team didn't completely suck for the next season or two.

I personally feel it would be a mistake to deal Stroman. I would deal Sanchez though, simply because he is a Boras client. Hope is that we can keep Sanchez healthy to the trade deadline and he continues to throw as he is. If we can then acquire a package like Archer got for TB I would be all for it. A major league ready pitcher and position player.

As for Stroman I would keep him as the vet in the rotation long term. He bleeds Blue Jay blue and loves Toronto. We are going to need vets in a year or two to help out a young rotation with our young core. Stroman is the perfect fit.

Focus on getting good deals for players like Smoak, Tepera, and other players. Keep Tellez, Stroman, Borucki, Pearson, Thornton, Drury, Bichette, Vlad, Galvis, Jansen, Hernandez and Grichuk as your MLB core to build with.

Agreed.

Sanchez makes sense to deal (unfortunately) because because of the whole Boras thing and Smoak is 33 and hitting free agency.

But Stroman is 27 and wants to stay. He’s exactly the same age as Grichuk who the team just gave a long-term extension to.

I think it’s a huge mistake to think this team is a long way from competing and make decisions based on that assumption. This is a young player’s game right now and teams with good groups of young guys moving through (think Yankees and Astros in the last couple years) turn it around quickly once that talent hits MLB. I would be disappointed if this team wasn’t in the Wild Card mix in 2020.

And it would suck to have a team ready to compete let down by starting pitching after trading away a top starter for futures nowhere near helping.

That said, it depends on the package. If you can do what TB did with the Chris Archer trade, you take it and run. So if, say, the Dodgers are offering something like Urias or Verdugo ++ and the team can get young impact players stepping straight into big roles it’s a different story.

Reactions: jetsforever

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009

I'd be cool with that! I'm not sure if he falls to us though, I figured he'd be picked top 10.

Edit: made a mess of the quote. Was referring to our projected pick of Jung

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pearson 2 IP, 5 K's, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB

Pulled after that and no rain delays so clearly it's a planned thing moving forward for every 2nd start.

Reactions: kb and aingefan

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Kluber takes a line drive off his elbow. It is fractured and he is out indefinitely. Clevenger out for at least 2 more months.

Wonder if Stroman and/or Sanchez interest them. Always liked Naylor and Torres from the 2018 draft. McKenzie would have to be on the table if they want a Stroman.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not a sexy night on the farm.
Lansing lost both ends of a double header. Sean Wymer got knocked around.
Pearson as mentioned was great in Dunedin, and they won big...mostly off the good work of the more organizational bats.
Yensy Diaz was pretty good getting the win for NH. Kevin Smith is struggling mightily.
Buffalo rained out.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I sure didn’t expect Vladdy to struggle this much. I was concerned about his physique but that was more for a fielding perspective.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Vlad's weight has clearly marred his twenty plate appearances in the majors.

It's hard to get the bat around when you have to torque that much more mass. I mean, just look at Hitz King Ben Revere. Dude's a beanpole and he's always able to swing at the ball.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
23.6% of pitches Vlad has seen have been in the zone. Looks like the book is to just hope the ump calls borderline balls as strikes and force him to swing at outside pitches.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
23.6% of pitches Vlad has seen have been in the zone. Looks like the book is to just hope the ump calls borderline balls as strikes and force him to swing at outside pitches.

Definitely a “I ain’t throwing him a damn thing he can hit” strategy from the pitchers, combined with a pitchers strike zone from the umpires welcoming the kid to the league.

Wouldn’t surprise me that once he settles and stops pressing, he’ll just start walking twice a game (similar to Tuesday) and forcing them to pitch to him.

Reactions: Northernguy10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad