Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part IV (final)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Ooof when I 17 I was barely human. Mostly just a big ball of anger and long hair.

Anyone that would question a 16/17 year olds character without any wrongdoing is probably just a very mean and ugly person in the inside.

You weren't likely to be drafted in the 1st round and handed a multi-million dollar contract.

I do not understand this part of the babe in the woods routine that everyone here is doing. Rachel is very clearly in the wrong for not substantiating anything, but guess what - NHL teams are judging teenagers all the time because that's the business they're in, and if you follow the NHL draft closely, you are in that business too.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You weren't likely to be drafted in the 1st round and handed a multi-million dollar contract.

I do not understand this part of the babe in the woods routine that everyone here is doing. Rachel is very clearly in the wrong for not substantiating anything, but guess what - NHL teams are judging teenagers all the time because that's the business they're in, and if you follow the NHL draft closely, you are in that business too.
Absolutely an NHL team has a responsibility to do its due diligence.

But certain information should never be shared with the public or used to impune someone.

Internal information to make a decision makes 100% absolute sense...and temperament and demeanor should be considered....but weaponizing that information is a pure scumbag move

I did say just "question". But I meant openly/publicly bringing someone's character into question.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Absolutely an NHL team has a responsibility to do its due diligence.

But certain information should never be shared with the public or used to impune someone.

Internal information to make a decision makes 100% absolute sense...and temperament and demeanor should be considered....but weaponizing that information is a pure scumbag move

I did say just "question". But I meant openly/publicly bringing someone's character into question.

Again, this is absolutely part of public discussions on players - the difference here is that we have no idea what Rachel is referring to. There are ways to do this stuff that the water carrying class understands - your Friedmans and McKenzies can be circumspect about this stuff - and that she doesn't yet.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Now she’s not responsible for Elite Prospects Mukhamadullin hate train, the main dudes did that.

They had a prominent “Undraftables” section in their first big draft guide in 2020.
She was in the "summer" and she was very pro active - as guest on youtube channels, on podcast.

You made great analysis of the "undraftables" list. I forgot about it. It was a big thing and look at how it turns. (look at this Kleven, whom they didn`t like still. He started his NHL career).

I even can understand if specific fans talk about some prospect they didn`t like. Because for example one team can have a lot of perimetr players\playmaking drivers, but they lack of interior shooter, and fans don`t want to draft specific player. But when you are a "draft writer", you should look at things in absolutely different way. And it`s not about only Luke and Shakir or "Undraftables" list. If we will look at the previous draft and listen what they talked about Gauthier and the tone they used... they just need to overthink the ranking of tools and package of tools for different NHL role and start to think in more practical way.

And be more polit, if they want to name "journalists" themselves.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Mouthing off like you have private information, but saying absolutely nothing specific is the classic mark of someone intentionally trying to damage the reputation of someone else. Either maliciously or for personal relevance.

Not worth considering, lol. If he parties too much say it. If he’s a dick to service workers, say it. If he’s bad in the room, say it.

If you won’t, why bring it up?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

“Ok, so here are some names that I would avoid. Luke Hughes being premier top of that list…I have not heard a single person with a good thing to say that isn’t either related to him or has something to gain. So, like, not great.”

That is so different than the typical “character concerns” stuff you hear at the draft across sports. Even when it’s vague, there’s usually some stuff about being a difficult teammate, lazy, parties too much, etc. Nope. Just flat out saying everyone I talked to about this teenager doesn’t like him. It’s such garbage.

What makes it even more gross is she also said her “injury recon” put him on her do not draft list. Total hit job by a disgruntled ex member of the organization. That seems to be a pattern with her.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
“Ok, so here are some names that I would avoid. Luke Hughes being premier top of that list…I have not heard a single person with a good thing to say that isn’t either related to him or has something to gain. So, like, not great.”

That is so different than the typical “character concerns” stuff you hear at the draft across sports. Even when it’s vague, there’s usually some stuff about being a difficult teammate, lazy, parties too much, etc. Nope. Just flat out saying everyone I talked to about this teenager doesn’t like him. It’s such garbage.

What makes it even more gross is she also said her “injury recon” put him on her do not draft list. Total hit job by a disgruntled ex member of the organization. That seems to be a pattern with her.

The problem here is the timeline - Luke Hughes was not a Devil yet, and there was absolutely no guarantee he would be one. Also most people a person doing draft recon would talk to would be people who have something to gain, because Luke was one of the top prospects in the draft and was a lock to go top 10 - people like to hype prospects. Coaches like to talk their players up. So the people with 'nothing to gain' by this are people on the periphery, and it's not hard to imagine there being some disgruntled people - Luke spent a lot of time in Canada but is playing for team USA, college coaches who couldn't recruit him, and the playstyle isn't everyone's favorite either.

It was 100% a dumb thing to say on an open microphone, but I don't see it as a Devils-specific hit job - the marketing department stuff, sure, but that's something else entirely.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The problem here is the timeline - Luke Hughes was not a Devil yet, and there was absolutely no guarantee he would be one. Also most people a person doing draft recon would talk to would be people who have something to gain, because Luke was one of the top prospects in the draft and was a lock to go top 10 - people like to hype prospects. Coaches like to talk their players up. So the people with 'nothing to gain' by this are people on the periphery, and it's not hard to imagine there being some disgruntled people - Luke spent a lot of time in Canada but is playing for team USA, college coaches who couldn't recruit him, and the playstyle isn't everyone's favorite either.

It was 100% a dumb thing to say on an open microphone, but I don't see it as a Devils-specific hit job - the marketing department stuff, sure, but that's something else entirely.

Pretty sure non of the Hughes were eligible to play for Canada. All were born in the U.S. and both parents are from the U.S. as well. They spent time in Toronto, but not enough to become citizens.

Reactions: Triumph

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

If I’m not mistaken, because it was a Canucks related podcast, she followed that comment by saying he wouldn’t be available where they were picking anyway because the Devils were going to be “forced” into taking him.

I regret kicking this wasp’s nest a bit but I also don’t mind further dragging where it’s warranted.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hey guys just wondering how Luke is playing for you guys. I think he’s an absolute gem and I thought in his draft year he had the potential to be even better than Powers. I love his offensive upside , hockey IQ and skating.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: xigon

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Hey guys just wondering how Luke is playing for you guys. I think he’s an absolute gem and I thought in his draft year he had the potential to be even better than Powers. I love his offensive upside , hockey IQ and skating.

Thanks in advance!
Only my 2 cents.

His physical skills are outstanding and his mental game is fine. If his mental game improves with experience, which would be pretty normal, then he has a chance to be an absolute monster. He looks like a guy that, if he can put it all together, can have games where he takes over almost every shift.

I think you can see him learning the game as the season goes on. He still makes errors of being too aggressive but he’s picking his spots better and I believe he’s more confident when he does pick them now.

I also think Nemec will help Luke grow. Nemec doesn’t have the physical tools the Luke has but does a great job of understanding where to be on the ice. Being able to watch someone else do that constantly should help Luke absorb that information.

He has had some big moments this year but I think this goal against Columbus is his best. The Devils tie the game up 2-2 with 4 minutes left and then 90 second later Columbus scores to take a 3-2 lead with 2.5 minutes left. A minute later, Luke scores this goal where he skates the length of the rink and beats the goalie with no screen to get the Devils tied up again.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think it’s gonna be 2-3 years before the defensive side of the game really clicks with Luke, and i think that’s actually gonna help drive his offensive results. If that happens, look out.

Reactions: Guadana

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think no doubt Luke is better than Power. Luke could easily go #1 in a re-draft.

I was shit on so badly by one of the draft clowns in Corey Pronman or that other douchebag when I said Luke would be better than Power.

Maybe I should go bump that post :)

Edit couldn’t find the exact post where I said Luke > Power but it was Steve Kourianos I argued with.

Then I owned him lol

Honestly the fake online scouts with their own webpage etc are the worst ones to deal with and have horrendous takes

IMG_8866.png

Last edited:

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I was shit on so badly by one of the draft clowns in Corey Pronman or that other douchebag when I said Luke would be better than Power.

Maybe I should go bump that post :)

Edit couldn’t find the exact post where I said Luke > Power but it was Steve Kourianos I argued with.

Then I owned him lol

Honestly the fake online scouts with their own webpage etc are the worst ones to deal with and have horrendous takes

View attachment 814455
Steve has some brutal opinions. Like truly horrendous lol.

Reactions: DJB

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Steve has some brutal opinions. Like truly horrendous lol.

If you’re coming up with opinions on every prospect they can’t all be winners and it’s not like Power is some bust.

I did get into a ridiculous argument with Kourianos about the Devils vs Rangers on the main board. (It was in a thread asking why the Devils are seen as more successful than the Rags.)

He was arguing that because Rangers were good before the Devils dominate run, and obviously better after, it’s wrong to see the Devils as more successful because “Cups are overrated”.

Yep. And I actually agreed that the Rangers non-Cup highs are underrated, even by some of their own disgruntled fans, but bro, one team was a borderline dynasty and one has three Presidents trophies over a 24 year span.

I don’t want to endlessly argue on the board, it’s f***ing pointless, so I’m annoyed with myself when I get sucked into doing it.

He was also arguing with everyone, including non-Devils fans, it was pretty ridiculous but Kourianos loves digging his heels in and fighting everyone.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
If you’re coming up with opinions on every prospect they can’t all be winners and it’s not like Power is some bust.

I did get into a ridiculous argument with Kourianos about the Devils vs Rangers on the main board. (It was in a thread asking why the Devils are seen as more successful than the Rags.)

He was arguing that because Rangers were good before the Devils dominate run, and obviously better after, it’s wrong to see the Devils as more successful because “Cups are overrated”.

Yep. And I actually agreed that the Rangers non-Cup highs are underrated, even by some of their own disgruntled fans, but bro, one team was a borderline dynasty and one has three Presidents trophies over a 24 year span.

I don’t want to endlessly argue on the board, it’s f***ing pointless, so I’m annoyed with myself when I get sucked into doing it.

He was also arguing with everyone, including non-Devils fans, it was pretty ridiculous but Kourianos loves digging his heels in and fighting everyone.
Yea he’s just a generally argumentative guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad