Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part IV (final)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Too flashy and cocky I guess lol

It’s a definite consider the source situation, since she already had been let go by the Devils at that point.

Reactions: My3Sons and NJ Lito

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
It’s a definite consider the source situation though since she already had been let go by the Devils at that point.

Also - since that statement was made there has been ample opportunity for journalists to investigate/verify any rumors and there has yet to be any additional reporting on the matter.

It’s all part of the troll - it’s obvious that the player evaluation was a whiff so gotta hang on to something, we see the same thing happen every day here.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It was such a vague statement that it was essentially meaningless. Why do I care if he’s a dick if it doesn’t impact the locker room or rise to the level of illegality? Wow, a young rich hockey player may be a jerk, shocker.
The vagueness of the statement is what makes it such a bad statement, imo.

A vague statement can’t be refuted and can be made up with no chance at defense.

It would be bush league for even hockeybuzz to post something so vague let alone someone who wants to work in professional hockey or be a serious hockey analyst/commentator.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Because why not trigger this conversation again lol. A random Devils twitter fan appeared on my timeline calling out Doerrie on something and she responded to them. They then took the opportunity to ask her thoughts on Luke to which she said the above. Sticking to her guns I guess :laugh:

This is something I amazed about. How can you talk about character of 17 yo? How can you claim 17 yo boy for being bad character publically? How can you know if he grown up as a person if you even didn`t talk with him. Teenagers often can be shy or not. And even that can change very fast. It's stupid, rude and inappropriate. And for her mocking behavior, she deserves all the hate she got. Not cancellations, because cancellations are nonsense. But she does not refuse her words, which means that the wheel of samsara must spin.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It was such a vague statement that it was essentially meaningless. Why do I care if he’s a dick if it doesn’t impact the locker room or rise to the level of illegality? Wow, a young rich hockey player may be a jerk, shocker.

We discussed this a lot, and I do mean a lot, at the time.

I only heard the clip from the podcast and read stuff on Twitter and Elite Prospects, and it seemed like grade A rumor mongering to me.

She’s done this with other people.

An unspecified ton of amazing important sources (numbers and specifics not provided) have shit talked someone privately with her. She won’t get into the specifics of the shit talking either but, oh boy, it’s all bad.

I know people are sensitive about their team’s prospects but the reasons this still sticks in my craw is this was a character assassin of a 17 year old boy.

Luke’s going to go off and make a lot of money, he’ll be fine, but the lack of sensitivity and professionalism with this sort of thing is something the Elite Prospect crew has had a problem with in the past.

They might have realized it themselves and tried to correct it more lately.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Really? Like who? Never really read her stuff.
This is getting into the weeds more than I want to at this point, I’m not going to dig into her old tweets to find it. (It happened months ago.)

In her defense, she spends most of her time fending off horribad tweets from morons who think they have composed amazing gotchas at her.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If I remember correctly, it all started when she gave her draft predictions and said the Devils will be FORCED to take Luke. When asked why she said that, she said she heard a few scouts question his character. I think she also questioned his hockey abilities and (I think this was her) said he was an average defenseman being propped up by his last name.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I've never been a huge fan of Doerrie, but a lot of really smart hockey people are (for whatever reason). However, I find the "questioning the character of a 17 year old" part of this all really silly.

He was an NHL draft prospect. They're all having numerous things judged about them by adults from when they're like 13 years old - their skill, their intelligence, and, yes, their character. Then people who have billions of dollars spend millions of dollars to have other people judge a bunch of teenagers on whether they're worth taking a lottery ticket out on.

Each team has at least four or five people dedicated to doing just this - some teams probably have more. You're looking at 200+ adults across the NHL who have "judging a teenager" as part of their job description. Of course rumors are going to fly.

And maybe, just maybe, we'd all be a little better off if character concerns were more highlighted when deciding on drafting a prospect. See: the Hockey Canada 2018 problem, the Bruins signing Mitchell Miller, the Habs drafting Logan Mailloux. I'm very obviously not lumping Luke Hughes in with those scenarios, but rather highlighting that character concerns should be considered and it shouldn't be verboten to discuss them or highlight them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And maybe, just maybe, we'd all be a little better off if character concerns were more highlighted when deciding on drafting a prospect. See: the Hockey Canada 2018 problem, the Bruins signing Mitchell Miller, the Habs drafting Logan Mailloux. I'm very obviously not lumping Luke Hughes in with those scenarios, but rather highlighting that character concerns should be considered and it shouldn't be verboten to discuss them or highlight them.
Well the number one reason they don't compare is those were very publicly known issues, and this is just Internet rumor mongering and a one-person whisper campaign. If there's a legitimate issue, spill it. If not STFU (her, not you).

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I've never been a huge fan of Doerrie, but a lot of really smart hockey people are (for whatever reason). However, I find the "questioning the character of a 17 year old" part of this all really silly.

He was an NHL draft prospect. They're all having numerous things judged about them by adults from when they're like 13 years old - their skill, their intelligence, and, yes, their character. Then people who have billions of dollars spend millions of dollars to have other people judge a bunch of teenagers on whether they're worth taking a lottery ticket out on.

Each team has at least four or five people dedicated to doing just this - some teams probably have more. You're looking at 200+ adults across the NHL who have "judging a teenager" as part of their job description. Of course rumors are going to fly.

I didn’t mean to bring this up again but she have any concrete information to share and her “character recon” was from completely unidentified sources.

She made it sound it important by saying she did a lot of “character recon” but she never said how many people she talked to or what they said. She just said it was negative.
Was he a bad teammate? Hard to coach? Selfish? Dumb? Thoughtless? Who the f*** knows, because she was only rumor mongering.

It’s rumor mongering when you are 1) being very vague about specifics while playing up the significance of what you know 2) not identifying your sources while exaggerating the number of them and their importance.

Maybe Luke is a dick, I don’t know the kid, but I needed her to be a lot more specific about what the issues and a lot less dramatic. Professionalism is a thing.

She was also ridiculous about his foot injury, just overblown nonsense based on no real information, which she gave as another reason to not draft him.

Mitchell Miller was involved with a very specific bullying incident, he was found guilty in court for it. US Hockey and others handwaving that away, is different than this. (He also might not have been drafted if Arizona didn’t have an underling run it because of management changes.)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Really? Like who? Never really read her stuff.
Yap. The problem is she is a part of eliteprospects teenagers and she covered by her college's simps. She was involved in "fight" with Steve Kournianos around other prospect, when said about prospect(can't remember who was exactly) absolutely falsely info because she didn't watch the tapes enough.

She loudly laughed about our Mukhamadullin's pick and talked about it on every podcast. She didn't talk about person characteristics but Shakir was very bad pick in this range on her taste without any real potential.
And here we are, one player is one of the best prospects in hockey world, and another is showing great game and results in KHL and AHL, and was a key part of Meier trade.

And the aspect of tone of her message is even meaning more, because you can say about prospect whatever you don't like in his game and what he should do to fix it and how it looks like he has potential to do it or not, but she talked about it like both picks were obviously stupid, laughed and making about it. Smile and sh1t on 17 yo muslim and jewish players. Hm. May be she is just a nazi? Let's use this card against her.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
From what I've seen thus far, if anything, Jack is the dick, and Luke is the well behaved little brother.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I honestly don't understand how Dorrie has an audience or platform. Her behavior has been abysmal, she's obviously a toxic, negative person who may even be a narcissist or sociopath. She doesn't belong in hockey, and probably only is still sniffing the fringes of the game because she's female and let's be honest, men have done a really poor job of opening doors to women in professional sports and generally have been trying to open them again (with normally excellent results - front office, coaching, refereeing). But she is still a person and should be held to the same standards and her expiration date is long passed.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I honestly don't understand how Dorrie has an audience or platform. Her behavior has been abysmal, she's obviously a toxic, negative person who may even be a narcissist or sociopath. She doesn't belong in hockey, and probably only is still sniffing the fringes of the game because she's female and let's be honest, men have done a really poor job of opening doors to women in professional sports and generally have been trying to open them again (with normally excellent results - front office, coaching, refereeing). But she is still a person and should be held to the same standards and her expiration date is long passed.

Well she f***ed off to soccer in data job, so the burned bridges can remain smoldering.

She’s intelligent just unprofessional, I don’t want to dump on her too much but at the same time, some people handwave the unprofessionalism away because they like her.

Yap. The problem is she is a part of eliteprospects teenagers and she covered by her college's simps. She was involved in "fight" with Steve Kournianos around other prospect, when said about prospect(can't remember who was exactly) absolutely falsely info because she didn't watch the tapes enough.

She loudly laughed about our Mukhamadullin's pick and talked about it on every podcast. She didn't talk about person characteristics but Shakir was very bad pick in this range on her taste without any real potential.
And here we are, one player is one of the best prospects in hockey world, and another is showing great game and results in KHL and AHL, and was a key part of Meier trade.

And the aspect of tone of her message is even meaning more, because you can say about prospect whatever you don't like in his game and what he should do to fix it and how it looks like he has potential to do it or not, but she talked about it like both picks were obviously stupid, laughed and making about it. Smile and sh1t on 17 yo muslim and jewish players. Hm. May be she is just a nazi? Let's use this card against her.

Now she’s not responsible for Elite Prospects Mukhamadullin hate train, the main dudes did that.

They had a prominent “Undraftables” section in their first big draft guide in 2020.

AB59D173-223B-42AD-8426-729F43FE1873.jpeg

They never did this again after it quickly went south on them.

They needed to the most backpedaling on Neighbours.

436970CA-2FD5-4634-BE7C-ACDAA1A7F851.jpeg

61211F64-C51B-4B47-B3DA-EA4AEB7744E9.jpeg
To him being 5th on their Blues prospect list last off-season:
947F97FA-D29C-47CD-8752-D6C5C44640A6.jpeg

And there’s this bit about Cuylle:
283A943E-D26C-417C-B265-C3B11B575CD8.jpeg

Uh, about the hard to imagine him playing professional hockey scenario…
BE6E305A-FBF5-44C2-8B67-CFF48991058D.jpeg

Now everyone can be wrong about prospects but they shouldn’t have had a section of f*** These Specific 10 Guys so they could rag on their least favorite players more. (And be wrong about their weird grudges in several cases.)

Out of the 10 players, 6 of them are on Elite Prospects Top 15 lists. They have a point system (chart at the bottom).
I have their rank on Elite Prospects lists after the name, the last date is when the Undraftables all signed their ELC. I threw in Wheeler’s Ranking for a different take.

Neighbours STL 5th (STL Rd 1 #26) {Oct 2020}
Wheeler 3rd & HM (1/55) on his Top 50 list
Cuylle NYR 10th (NYR Rd 2 #60) {Apr 2021}
Wheeler 5th
Mukhamadullin NJD 5th (Rd 1 #20) {Dec 2021}
Wheeler 5th & HM (1/55) on his Top 50 list
Pashin CAR 14th (CAR Rd 7 #199) {May 2022}
Kleven OTT 15th (Rd 2 #44) {Mar 2023}
Wheeler 9th
Stranges DAL 14th (DAL Rd 4 #123) {Mar 2022}
Wheeler 11th

Also two more were on Wheeler’s lists. (Not a lot of competition on Boston’s but still.)
Kuntar BOS Rd 3 #89 {Mar 2023}
Wheeler 10th
Villeneuve 2020 TOR Rd 4 #122 {Sep 2021}
Wheeler 12th

Neither EP or Wheeler list Novak (MIN Rd 5 #146) but the Wild signed him in May 2022.

They were right about overager Alex Cotton, drafted by Detroit (DET Rd 5 #132) after his production exploded. They ended up not signing him, and neither did anyone else, so he’s toiling in European minors.

98F4BDBC-D6A1-4074-AFBF-AC0647FD3A72.jpeg
BEDEBE35-2A1F-400F-9E7E-9D6A2978CC50.jpeg
E1A479B8-99A4-4311-B7CF-04872A6B8564.jpeg
CF9F64A3-BA7D-4CAA-AC16-EA7972026857.jpeg

3D101C71-4C71-455D-9818-2DF606255F09.jpeg
015B1531-8349-489F-A43E-1236DD5D0521.jpeg
ECD59B64-5EC2-48DE-9170-6E1C039E2677.jpeg

331D0A2F-AEF8-4908-A657-BF48BF0C5100.jpeg
F7847460-6F4D-4CD1-9773-6B8CF07DC9A7.jpeg

4EE8BE6F-1F2F-4E51-B235-145CF9EAE07C.jpeg

This is likely more than anyone wanted to know about their 2020 draft guide but the “undraftables” section was just… oof, even at the time. Don’t be a dick, it makes you look stupid.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't really know if she's that big of an asshole or a toxic person (I wouldn't take her firing from Vancouver as that, look what they did to Boudreau, they seem to be the ones that have a problem up there), as much as we just notice it because for some reason she seems to not like our best prospect and seems to have a stick up her ass about him for some strange reason or another.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Even if Doerrie's opinion of Luke's character was accurate when he was 17, it isn't relevant now. People change and mature over time, especially teenagers. And now we're at least a couple years out from the time she may have had an informed opinion on him. Now her opinion is out of date, and barely better than any of ours.

It's unfortunate that this keeps getting dredged up, and she keeps doubling down on it, because it really isn't relevant now.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ooof when I 17 I was barely human. Mostly just a big ball of anger and long hair.

Anyone that would question a 16/17 year olds character without any wrongdoing is probably just a very mean and ugly person in the inside.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad