Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
But when it was all over, Pearson, whose contract expires April 30, told his players that he was proud of them.

With the loss comes major questions, including whether the Wolverines’ seven first-round NHL draft picks return and how the program plans to replace a number of key seniors. But none looms larger than whether coach Mel Pearson will return for a sixth season — and if he should, after a season filled with controversy ended short of a 10th national title and a hollow feeling of underachievement after squandering so much talent.

According to the Michigan Daily, the five-year contract Pearson signed when hired to replace Red Berenson in 2017 expires April 30. The student paper reported talks of an extension were on hold until after the Frozen Four.

“I work under the direction of the athletic director and the Board of Regents,” Pearson told the Daily recently. “So if they’re willing to have me back, that’s the plan.”

Asked Thursday if he would be the Wolverines' coach next season, Pearson deferred comment.

“I'm glad you care about me,” he bristled, “but I'm just going to talk about the game and our team tonight.”

After standing quietly in the back of the room and hearing Pearson's postgame press conference deflection, U-M athletic director Warde Manuel also refused comment when asked about the contract situation later at TD Center.

“He’s gonna be fine,” Manuel said.

Those talks also are complicated by two significant situations — an investigation into Title IX violations and workplace complaints, and two situations involving COVID-19.

For the first, the student paper reported that “Pearson and director of hockey operations Rick Bancroft allegedly created a toxic work environment for female staff and that Pearson allegedly retaliated against a player for voicing issues within the Wolverines’ program.”

That investigation, which reportedly is being handled by law firm WilmerHale, began in October 2021. Pearson denied the allegations to the Daily on Jan. 31.

“The truth will come true at the end of the investigation,” Pearson said at the time. “And I feel very confident that the allegations will be proved wrong.”

Along with those allegations, the Title IX inquiry also reportedly accused Pearson of telling players to lie on their COVID-19 contact tracing forms before the 2021 NCAA tournament, which Michigan was eliminated from without playing in due to a positive COVID-19 test. Whether the Big Ten or NCAA also could weigh in on those allegations is unclear.

Then there is the situation with the Great Lakes Invitational.

A Michigan Tech fan website received documents obtained via the Freedom of Information Act that Pearson demanded a game between the Wolverines and Western Michigan, scheduled for Dec. 30, be canceled in summer 2021 due to planned absences of U-M players for the World Juniors.

Michigan said Dec. 27 it could not play the game against the Broncos “due to health and welfare protocols within the Wolverines' program.” The Wolverines were still able top play Michigan Tech to a 0-0 tie with an 18-man roster Dec. 29.

It caused reverberations around the sport, with Cornell coach and NCAA Division I Ice Hockey Committee member Mike Schafer telling College Hockey News in December the Wolverines exploited “a loophole” by misusing the pandemic rules for COVID-19 absences. He added “there’s nothing the Committee can do.”

“In the future, it's something I guess we'll have to address,” Schaefer told the website. “As a committee, we'll definitely talk about it. I'm sure we will. And commissioners I'm sure will talk about what happened too. No one wants this.”

---

Yet aside from departing seniors Nick Blankenburg and Garrett Van Wyhe at the podium, Michigan did not make any of its other players available after the loss. That included none of the 13 players drafted by NHL teams. None of the first-round picks produced a point against Denver; the only drafted player who did was Thomas Bordeleau, a 2020 second-round selection of San Jose who scored U-M’s second goal to tie the game in the third period.

---

Whether that collection of draft pick stays together remains to be seen, based on both the program's enduring controversies, and also because NHL teams could be calling in the coming days to start their pro careers. And whether Pearson’s future is tied to that group, or if their decisions could affect his, also is still cloudy.

Ultimately, instead of celebrating a championship as they last did in 1996 and 1998, the Wolverines were left to contemplate a missed opportunity, as they did in 1997 — another supremely talented team left to wonder what went wrong.

The big difference: This group heads into an uncertain offseason not knowing if they will be able to run it back together for their own chance at redemption and a long-awaited return to NCAA glory.

Reactions: Guadana

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Another season where he’s forced to play heavy minutes defensively and even more defensive responsibilities should do him wonders. I could see the argument of giving him a playoff run in Utica and AHL next year though.

Staying another season lines up perfectly for him to sign his contract and join the NHL team for what is hopefully some meaningful playoff games.

Reactions: Billdo

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Luke Hughes returning to the University of Michigan is both the best scenario for Luke Hughes and the New Jersey Devils.
I think so too. Good chance in my opinion Devils sign a defensive 3RD in the Lovejoy mold with the expectation to eventually pair him with Luke.

An option to play with Smith or any of the other youngsters (Okhotiuk, White, Bahl, or Mukhmadullin) and potentially have Luke slide into that spot at years end if no one claims it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Got a chance to watch Luke last night.. until ESPN screwed me over. From what Ive seen of him it certainly wasn't his best game. But the entirety of it was a great game and hats off to Denver

Upset as a fan that its rumored he wants to go back, but its probably for the best. Only one period in your life where college is more than just school, so go eat it up kid.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Got a chance to watch Luke last night.. until ESPN screwed me over. From what Ive seen of him it certainly wasn't his best game. But the entirety of it was a great game and hats off to Denver

Upset as a fan that its rumored he wants to go back, but its probably for the best. Only one period in your life where college is more than just school, so go eat it up kid.

The team also wants him to go back. It shouldn't upset you as a fan because it's the correct decision to make.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
The team also wants him to go back. It shouldn't upset you as a fan because it's the correct decision to make.
I just meant from a viewing perspective since Luke is a world of fun to watch. Youre right though, I shouldnt fret about it

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Hughes got better as the night went on, I thought. OT was his best period, imo.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yeah, pretty much confirmed he's going back at this point, which is the right move. No need to rush him. Bring him over at the end of the year though!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Wheeler’s review from the weekend.

“Once the Wolverines fell behind, Hughes pushed for it and made things happen. He took some risks where it looked like he might turn it over but didn’t. And I thought he had some nice man-to-man sequences defensively. He also created Michigan’s best chance of overtime and played a lot. Sounds like he’s returning to Michigan next year, which I think is the right call.”

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Going back for his second year would benefit Luke as he's going to be slotted into the Owen Power's spot as the #1 dman on the team, will play in all situations (#1 powerplay), be a key piece of WJHC team and then potentially sign after college season is over and get some NHL/pro experience like Beniers, Power, etc...

Reactions: Rydev

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
When Power was at the Olympics, Edwards was getting first pair.

Edwards-Hughes
Truscott-Holtz
Fantilli-

When Hughes was playing LD he was paired with Holtz.

Hughes-Holtz
Truscott-
Edwards-

I don't know much about the Freshman RD or Pehrson and Keranen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad