Luke Glendening "shut down player" BS

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I have a huge issue with trying to make an argument for that Miller/Glendening is getting lot of offensive zone starts based on changes not happening during the faceoff. The most likely scenario is that the puck has been dumped into the offensive zone and the opposing team either have or gets possession of the puck very soon. In this case a defensive zone start is preferable since you already got the puck. I still maintain that they have by far the worst zone starts on the team, this is a perfect example of using stats to prove a point without taking it into context.

The main problem I got with that line (especially when they put people like Pulk or Richards there) is that they aren't the greatest at takeaways. Helm fits so much better on that line and makes it much harder for them to get through the neutral zone.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Bickell progressed at the right time and got $4m a year for it. I figured Tatar and Nyquist would get going and finish with 25-30 goals on the year, but I'm not sold on Sheahan ever being much more than he is, though what he is should at least be a decent third line center. Which we need right now.

I was talking about Tatar deserving more IT.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I have a huge issue with trying to make an argument for that Miller/Glendening is getting lot of offensive zone starts based on changes not happening during the faceoff. The most likely scenario is that the puck has been dumped into the offensive zone and the opposing team either have or gets possession of the puck very soon. In this case a defensive zone start is preferable since you already got the puck. I still maintain that they have by far the worst zone starts on the team, this is a perfect example of using stats to prove a point without taking it into context.

The main problem I got with that line (especially when they put people like Pulk or Richards there) is that they aren't the greatest at takeaways. Helm fits so much better on that line and makes it much harder for them to get through the neutral zone.

The main issue is being hemmed up in their own zone. Which happens practically exclusively.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Given Larkin's speed, and that a couple of players may "be out for a while" per Blash, what about combining speed with larks and glennie and helm?

I know that speed isnt everything, but there could be some sort of cohesion and fast, dynamic plays created with that kind of speed.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Hell no. Anything that puts Glendening on the ice more, especially with your best player, is just stupid.

well then you can roll 4 lines better

Z-Abby-AA
Rich-Dats-Jurcs(dont like it, but if pulky and miller out)
Tats-She-Gus
Larks-Glennie-Helm

It reduced larkin's ice time, but it makes the lines more even

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
well then you can roll 4 lines better

Z-Abby-AA
Rich-Dats-Jurcs(dont like it, but if pulky and miller out)
Tats-She-Gus
Larks-Glennie-Helm

It reduced larkin's ice time, but it makes the lines more even

Swap lark and aa and i like it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't know what fairytale you are living in but Blashill takes plenty of criticism around here all the time.

Raw numbers:

Babcock, 976 career NHL games, 1213 points.
.621 points percentage

Blashill, 25 career NHL games, 32 points.
.615 points percentage

Pretty much it's the same voice. :sarcasm:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Given Larkin's speed, and that a couple of players may "be out for a while" per Blash, what about combining speed with larks and glennie and helm?

I know that speed isnt everything, but there could be some sort of cohesion and fast, dynamic plays created with that kind of speed.

You want to put Larkin on the 4th line? You kidding me?

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I mean, obviously Larkin will not get off of the first line. But if we are trying to jump start secondary scoring like we tried tonight with Rich on 4th, then I think Larkin would help them better. AA is good and fast. He can learn from everyone on the team, but he can learn most from abby. He has a similar build anf could potentially bud into a faster, more lethal forward than Abby

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I was talking about Tatar deserving more IT.

sorry, my mistake. Never really against giving Tatar more IT, but if we're married to the idea of having a piano puller on every line, or if Richards can't move back to center and be effective, etc., it gets difficult. Do we move Larkin to the third line and off Z's wing? Who is the piano puller with richards/Datsyuk?

If Sheahan continues playing better, though, moving Tatar up becomes moot, because we can give that third line more IT, while scaling back Z/D's lines a bit. And scaling back Glendening's a lot.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
sorry, my mistake. Never really against giving Tatar more IT, but if we're married to the idea of having a piano puller on every line, or if Richards can't move back to center and be effective, etc., it gets difficult. Do we move Larkin to the third line and off Z's wing? Who is the piano puller with richards/Datsyuk?

If Sheahan continues playing better, though, moving Tatar up becomes moot, because we can give that third line more IT, while scaling back Z/D's lines a bit. And scaling back Glendening's a lot.

Sheahan's not very flashy on that line but I think he's important to it. He's skilled enough to keep up with their offensive style, he's responsible enough to let them do their thing without having to worry too much about defense, he's big and strong enough to win board battles and get the puck back. He's definitely no passenger on the line. I very much doubt Andersson could be doing this. Maybe Richards.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Sheahan's not very flashy on that line but I think he's important to it. He's skilled enough to keep up with their offensive style, he's responsible enough to let them do their thing without having to worry too much about defense, he's big and strong enough to win board battles and get the puck back. He's definitely no passenger on the line. I very much doubt Andersson could be doing this. Maybe Richards.

Sheahan is one of the best players on our team at controlling the puck along the boards and cycling it with tats/goose.

He's almost Zetterberg like when he's got guys draped all over his back, still carrying the puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad