Luke Glendening "shut down player" BS

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Its the regular season. Theres 0 reason to use him on Even strength. This isnt Tampa where he needs to shut down Johnson.

The playoffs make more sense for it. On Last Change anyway.

But this is the regular season where you need goals.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Regular season goals will lead to cap problems.

And that gives the answer why these Ice-Times what they are.

At same time, when you lead, you use your non-offensive defensive lines to A) keep the lead B) and avoid unneccessary scoring.

I though earlier this was only a Babcock thing, but when Blashill is immediately on the same boat, it comes from our upper management.

We sacrifise some regular season things all the time for long-term cap management.

It's just so obvious when you think the big picture. That "survival line" -strategy is one of them.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He's a good Babcock type player. Blashill's system isn't as defensively focused and I think that hurts him.

To be fair, I don't think any of our defensive minded players have looked good so far. Aside from Helm anyways.
It is a coach thing for sure.
More astonishing numbers:

-Our 4th line (I included Glendening,Miller, Helm, Ferraro & Andersson) have been on the ice for a total of 1,099.35 minutes, and have ONE goal.

Think about how ridiculous that is. In over 18 HOURS of combined ice time, they have 1 goal.

Yet they still play 14 minutes per game :laugh::dunno::facepalm:

If they start most of their faceoffs in the defensive zone, they can't score.
Yet I agree with you, they should chip in some goals.

BTW, Are we the only team not scoring SH goals?

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar

At same time, when you lead, you use your non-offensive defensive lines to A) keep the lead B) and avoid unneccessary scoring.

I though earlier this was only a Babcock thing, but when Blashill is immediately on the same boat, it comes from our upper management.

We sacrifise some regular season things all the time for long-term cap management.

It's just so obvious when you think the big picture. That "survival line" -strategy is one of them.

That is some illuminati level **** there.

And if it were true, incredibly dishonest and disrespectful to players. And a pretty risky tactic, considering Wings only barely made it to the playoffs the last couple years. And Holland takes no risks.

Actual Thought*

With all due respect that is ridiculous. Our system is ill conceived and leads to no offence and poor defence. That is the problem and it is just that simple. No tin foil hats required. Team defence sucks. Transition game sucks. Offence sucks. Goaltending good.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
With all due respect that is ridiculous. Our system is ill conceived and leads to no offence and poor defence. That is the problem and it is just that simple. No tin foil hats required. Team defence sucks. Transition game sucks. Offence sucks. Goaltending good.

Our team defines is actually very good. Last year it was incredible. It hasn't been amazing this year, but it has drastically improved lately. Past few weeks we have played incredibly. Just need to score more, especially on the PP.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Seems like it was just a flash in the pan to me, dude.

He's good against TB, but acting like he's the same guy against the other 29 teams is stupid and it has hurt us so far.

You're allowed to have that opinion, but you're basing that on ~20 games compared to all of last season + playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You're allowed to have that opinion, but you're basing that on ~20 games compared to all of last season + playoffs.

That's a totally fair point.

I'll say 2 things though:

1) Babcock's system seems WAY better suited to play Glendening in a shutdown role.

2) When you have a guy of Glendening's talent level going up against the talent he faces, I think it's just a matter of time until the more talented players come out on top and figure it out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's a totally fair point.

I'll say 2 things though:

1) Babcock's system seems WAY better suited to play Glendening in a shutdown role.

2) When you have a guy of Glendening's talent level going up against the talent he faces, I think it's just a matter of time until the more talented players come out on top and figure it out.

I will say one thing that has clearly hit the chalk board this season is don't engage Glendening as a star player.... Under any circumstance seems to be coming from the other coach, it is what he wants and it does seem to elevate his play the moment you acknowledge the frustration. Guy's are keeping their head down and not involved in the hacking and whacking with him nearly as often.

Glendening plays the game hard and consistent no matter what, but he does seem to go up a level when the opponent acknowledges just how frustrated they are. We have not seen that as much this season. Now you could point to he hasn't been as effective, but I think that is a part of it as I have seen stuff where the other player wasn't turning the other cheek last year and they are this year a lot more often.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will say one thing that has clearly hit the chalk board this season is don't engage Glendening as a star player.... Under any circumstance seems to be coming from the other coach, it is what he wants and it does seem to elevate his play the moment you acknowledge the frustration. Guy's are keeping their head down and not involved in the hacking and whacking with him nearly as often.

Glendening plays the game hard and consistent no matter what, but he does seem to go up a level when the opponent acknowledges just how frustrated they are. We have not seen that as much this season. Now you could point to he hasn't been as effective, but I think that is a part of it as I have seen stuff where the other player wasn't turning the other cheek last year and they are this year a lot more often.

Good point, TZE.

And even to add to this, instead of getting under star players skin and drawing penalties, I'm seeing somewhat of the opposite happen. Seeing Glenny get beat quite frequently this year and having to take a penalty because he is scrambling and out of position.

I actually like him I just think we are asking too much of the guy right now. And for a team that supposedly wanted to play a more offensive, wide-open, uptempo game how are you going to have our best goal scorer and Glenny playing within 15-20 seconds of each other at ES?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good point, TZE.

And even to add to this, instead of getting under star players skin and drawing penalties, I'm seeing somewhat of the opposite happen. Seeing Glenny get beat quite frequently this year and having to take a penalty because he is scrambling and out of position.

I actually like him I just think we are asking too much of the guy right now. And for a team that supposedly wanted to play a more offensive, wide-open, uptempo game how are you going to have our best goal scorer and Glenny playing within 15-20 seconds of each other at ES?

It is unlikely to happen and I am not sure he is there defensively though I have always thought he is underrated in that regard, but I would like to see Jurco when he is back take Miller's spot. Miller is where the offense goes to die and the cycle has been killed. Miller's ability to A-frame the wall and somehow keep the puck with just one hand on his stick has been non-existent this year. He is the weak link in my opinion and the reason they are almost always stuck in their zone.

While they were never a great zone time line, I have a lot more faith in Jurco and Helm keeping the puck down low and establishing the cycle and a crash the net mentality out of that line. I know I am harder on Miller than most, I just see him as utterly replaceable, what he brings to the PK is not enough for me as our PK has been mediocre by seasons end throughout his entire tenure. I want to see the lineup without him for a little bit and see what it does for us at even strength where quite frankly he is the worst player on the team in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is unlikely to happen and I am not sure he is there defensively though I have always thought he is underrated in that regard, but I would like to see Jurco when he is back take Miller's spot. Miller is where the offense goes to die and the cycle has been killed. Miller's ability to A-frame the wall and somehow keep the puck with just one hand on his stick has been non-existent this year. He is the weak link in my opinion and the reason they are almost always stuck in their zone.

While they were never a great zone time line, I have a lot more faith in Jurco and Helm keeping the puck down low and establishing the cycle and a crash the net mentality out of that line. I know I am harder on Miller than most, I just see him as utterly replaceable, what he brings to the PK is not enough for me as our PK has been mediocre by seasons end throughout his entire tenure. I want to see the lineup without him for a little bit and see what it does for us at even strength where quite frankly he is the worst player on the team in my opinion.

Never been big on Miller, myself. Would definitely replace him with Jurco, and would say he is the weak link on a line with Glendening moreso than Glendening.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Never been big on Miller, myself. Would definitely replace him with Jurco, and would say he is the weak link on a line with Glendening moreso than Glendening.

I would like to see Jurco in over Miller. I think Miller and Glendening are offensive black holes. It would be nice if someone on that line could contribute a occasional goal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

People have been on Luke's case for a while based on the underlying numbers. The "bend but don't break" argument has been around for at least a year saying that despite getting heavily outpossessed, Luke does his job of keeping the puck out of the net. The counter-idea was that such a trend was unsustainable. Perhaps it is.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
@iyer_prashanth: Luke Glendening has been on the ice for 40% of the 5v5 goals against Detroit, despite playing just 25% of available 5v5 minutes.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Not only is that number alarming, but should your 4th line being playing 25% of the time at ES? When they are bleeding goals should they still be? Gotta question Blash there

What's the overstatement? He's on pace for 20 points this season, which is nearly a 50% reduction in his production compared to last year. It's the Sheahan centered lines that are losing ice time to the Glendening lines.

Not only that but his lack of chances are alarming. He regularly goes entire games without creating anything resembling offense. He has certainly taken a step back this season (as have most players offensively on this team)

Actual Thought*

Our team defines is actually very good. Last year it was incredible. It hasn't been amazing this year, but it has drastically improved lately. Past few weeks we have played incredibly. Just need to score more, especially on the PP.

Last year team defence was very good because they had structure. This year they have spent a ton of time hemmed in their zone letting their goalies save them.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
It'd be really nice if the Detroit media would do it's job and start holding the coaching staff and front office accountable for this team's play and general direction.

Why has Glendening (among others) not been put into a proper position to succeed? He should not be playing as much at ES as he does. He's been worse than last year, IMO. The problems with Glenny don't really scratch the surface. Plenty of other things that really need to be addressed such as this teams issues on the PP and their terrible discipline. Wayyyy too many penalties.

Aug 6, 2012
It'd be really nice if the Detroit media would do it's job and start holding the coaching staff and front office accountable for this team's play and general direction.

The general direction of the team is going quite well besides these lame finishes the last few games.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
The general direction of the team is going quite well besides these lame finishes the last few games.

The future still has question marks, IMO. Lack of any future top pairing D. Larkin can't replace D and Z by himself. There are a few bad contracts on this team. Certain younger guys will need pretty substantial raises. That could lead to Cap problems in the future etc. We have some good players and what looks like a future 1C and 1G but future success is no guarantee with this team going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad