Waived: Luke Gazdic (Cleared)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
On the ice, Gaz will not be missed. Off the ice however, he will be missed quite a bit... The tough guy that all the teammates love. I bet Connor wouldn't wanna see him go.

They're all big boys. Gazdic doesn't get a roster spot just cause he cooks mcdavid and halls meals. Dude is a functionally useless hockey player. Even if you're one who believes there's still a spot for s nuclear deterrent/enforcer, Gazdic wasn't one of those players. No one was afraid to go out there and throw a big hit or take a run at a skill player because they're worried about Gazdic. The Florida game where he was dressed and did absolutely nothing was the last nail in the coffin for Gazdic as a player who actually contributes in any sort of meaningful way.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
I like Gazdic, the person. As a player, he doesn't really add anything. Pretty good fighter, but the game has changed. He isn't deterring anyone (which is actually really hard to do in this league anyways, if not impossible), and he isn't going to get retribution on anyone either - guys just decline the invite, if he's not stapled to the bench, that is, and can even SEND the invite.

Good guy, and I'm sure he was good in the locker room, but this type of player is not very helpful anymore. Some of you guys would be great in the locker room and community too, but your services aren't required either ;) It's all about who can play, and unfortunately he can't at the NHL level. Teams need guys that can play first and foremost.... ability to fight is a nice extra to have, but shouldn't be the main motivation for having a guy on the roster.

In related news, this should mean Davidson is back, which is is great!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Except for the part where Gazdic doesn't fight.

I attribute this to the long long long long long long standing oiler coach and management strategy in which you have to ask for permission to fight. He doesn't get into the lineup often enough to be too proactive.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
They're all big boys. Gazdic doesn't get a roster spot just cause he cooks mcdavid and halls meals. Dude is a functionally useless hockey player. Even if you're one who believes there's still a spot for s nuclear deterrent/enforcer, Gazdic wasn't one of those players. No one was afraid to go out there and throw a big hit or take a run at a skill player because they're worried about Gazdic. The Florida game where he was dressed and did absolutely nothing was the last nail in the coffin for Gazdic as a player who actually contributes in any sort of meaningful way.

No they are not all big boys, That attitude got hemsky crushed every year for about 10 years, got hall into a fight that put him out for the years, got rnh into a fight that got him hurt, got draisiatlcrushed in one of his 1st games, got gagners face broken, got mcdavid crushed in one of his 1st games ever.

this team just wastes opportunities to send messages each year we are in the basement, a time when you make sure teams know you do NOT f*** with us. but nope, our strategy is to have our young skilled guys 'stick up for themselves' to disastrous results.

Most of us on these forums have played hockey and should know that you are much more effective when you know you have someone that will have your back if not take things into their hands if things get nasty.

I'm not going to trumpet Gazdic as the beacon of a good tough guy but the oilers as an org fall flat on their ***** in this year year after year.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
Most of us on these forums have played hockey and should know that you are much more effective when you know you have someone that will have your back if not take things into their hands if things get nasty.

I'm not going to trumpet Gazdic as the beacon of a good tough guy but the oilers as an org fall flat on their ***** in this year year after year.

Fellow guy that played hockey (and still does, but now just men's league)....

You are most effective when you ARE that guy that can have your back. We need more guys that can stick up for themselves. But all teams definitely should have guys that can help teammates out too. This team didn't have sand kicked in its face because they lacked a big goon. They had MacIntyre, Laraque and other guys like that and still got sand kicked in their face... even with Gazdic too. They lacked team toughness... functional toughness - guys that can play the game and are tough. I'll take guys like Nurse, Kassian, Hendricks, and Gryba any day of the week over someone like Gazdic, or a tougher fighter. Even though none of the guys I mentioned are guys who are dominant fighters, they will each stick up for players if they're being pushed around, and there's a good chance they'll be on the ice when something happens (unlikely Gazdic who has a better chance of being struck by lightning on the bench).

Most of the time Gazdic didn't have opportunity to really do that (due to lack of ice time.. due to not being a good player), and when he DID have the opportunity, he rarely seized it, I thought. Also, the best players in the league are going to hit our players whether we have an "answer" for them or not. The best thing to do is be that team that kicks sand in other teams faces rather than figuring out how to react.

Like I said, I really like Gazdic the human being, but as a player, I won't miss him at all. I definitely wish him all the best though.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
He actually put up a 11 goal, 23 point season in the AHL one year. I could see him doing pretty well down in Bako.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Fellow guy that played hockey (and still does, but now just men's league)....

You are most effective when you ARE that guy that can have your back. We need more guys that can stick up for themselves. But all teams definitely should have guys that can help teammates out too. This team didn't have sand kicked in its face because they lacked a big goon. They had MacIntyre, Laraque and other guys like that and still got sand kicked in their face... even with Gazdic too. They lacked team toughness... functional toughness - guys that can play the game and are tough. I'll take guys like Nurse, Kassian, Hendricks, and Gryba any day of the week over someone like Gazdic, or a tougher fighter. Even though none of the guys I mentioned are guys who are dominant fighters, they will each stick up for players if they're being pushed around, and there's a good chance they'll be on the ice when something happens (unlikely Gazdic who has a better chance of being struck by lightning on the bench).

Most of the time Gazdic didn't have opportunity to really do that (due to lack of ice time.. due to not being a good player), and when he DID have the opportunity, he rarely seized it, I thought. Also, the best players in the league are going to hit our players whether we have an "answer" for them or not. The best thing to do is be that team that kicks sand in other teams faces rather than figuring out how to react.

Like I said, I really like Gazdic the human being, but as a player, I won't miss him at all. I definitely wish him all the best though.

So you endorse Hall, McDavid, Drai, EBerle, Nuge all sticking up for themsleves vs the league pests, the league goons and such?

I'll repeat this is just the attitude the oilers have had for years, and the results have been injuries. When Bard Marchand sticks his tick in McDavids ribs and when mcdavid gets hammered by call clutterbuck I can hardly wait for his response.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So you endorse Hall, McDavid, Drai, EBerle, Nuge all sticking up for themsleves vs the league pests, the league goons and such?

I'll repeat this is just the attitude the oilers have had for years, and the results have been injuries. When Bard Marchand sticks his tick in McDavids ribs and when mcdavid gets hammered by call clutterbuck I can hardly wait for his response.
The point is that Luke Gazdic isn't going to stop Brad Marchand from sticking his stick in McDavid's ribs, or having Cal Clutterbuck trying to take his head off.

Nuclear deterrents don't work at preventing injuries. And even if they did, Gazdic isn't a nuclear deterrent! He doesn't do anything on the ice. He doesn't intimidate anyone. He doesn't protect anyone.

You seriously think Brad Marchand is going to be afraid to do something cheap because of Luke Gazdic? Cause Gazdic's really gonna go out there and beat the **** out of him?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He really wasn't being utilized by mangement/coaches... and when he was used, he really wasn't a factor in most games... so Catch-22 really.

Like others have said, he'll likely be missed more off the ice than on it as he sounds like a great locker room guy and a great guy in general.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not enough physicality for his role. Hopefully he can get his game on track in Bakersfield.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He can be recalled... If the Oilers are facing a team with a known tough guy or a game where things might get messy he can be recalled... hes not gone forever

oilz89*

This is good because Davidson is a great player to get back.

But I was also hoping for Prust as a replacement for Gazdic. Maybe we see an AHL swap with Prust coming up after a forward is traded.

I dunno. I want it to happen but I recognize Prust won't solve any problems here.

oh god... Prust are you serious?!?!? I'd rather call up JJ Khaira

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com

Where did I say that? I don't think Hall, Ebs, McDavid, Nuge, Drai etc are guys that can stick up for themselves.. I said we NEED some guys who can play the game (first and foremost) and stick up for themselves. I didn't say Nuge should be out there fighting, but he could use a guy on his line that can battle if needed. Gazdic will never see ice in important moments of the game. He will never see the ice when Marchand is out there. What's Gazdic going to do from the bench (although one can ask what he'll do if on the ice too)? If by some fluke he did get a shift with Marchand (after your spear scenario), what do you think is going to happen?

What happened when, now Oiler, Zack Kassian tomahawked Gagner in the face? Some harsh words, that's about it. In this day and age, guys can skate away. Also, why didn't Gazdic's presence in the game magically stop that dirty play? Because the ******* players (like Marchand) will always be ******* regardless of who is on the other bench. It's what they get paid for. There are some guys who fear Gazdic, I'm sure, but they're typically not the guys you have to worry so much about.

Like I said.. it's better to be the team that has guys stirring stuff up rather than the team that's trying to find ways to seek revenge. I love the rough stuff more than almost anyone, but the game has changed too much. The only thing stopping guys nowadays of being over the top violent is fear of a suspension, not fear of the 4-6 minute guy on the bench who might ask you to fight.

oilz89*

He can be recalled... If the Oilers are facing a team with a known tough guy or a game where things might get messy he can be recalled... hes not gone forever

Gazdic brings nothing to the table. No other team is afraid of him

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Oilers have employed goons for years (MacIntyre, Gazdic, Hordichuk to an extent) and that did nothing to prevent teams from taking physical liberties with the Oilers skilled players.

I wish that some of you would get out of your head that employing borderline 4th liners goons for the sole purpose of policing the poor little skilled players is beneficial to team success. As Mclellan stated in preseason, this team needs to develop a pack mentality of sticking up for themselves. There's little that Gazdic can do from the bench or in a staged fight after the fact.
Functional toughness is what this team needs and for some of the core members to grow a set.

If you can't play a regular shift in this league without being a liability, there isn't a place for you. It's as simple as that.
Gazdic was a liability and the Oilers have better hockey players to play 4th line roles.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sad to see him gone. Always hate to see fans pile on fourth liners that have little to no effect on a game.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
Sad to see him gone. Always hate to see fans pile on fourth liners that have little to no effect on a game.

I think whether people see value in dedicated enforcers are not, almost all of us sympathize with them and wish them the best. No one wants to see a guy lose their job, especially when they are typically great human beings (those enforcers generally are pretty stand up, awesome guys)... but being nice isn't what wins hockey games. So while I'm happy that the team doesn't see need for a full-time goon, I genuinely feel bad for Gazdic (assuming he's pretty much done with this team), and I'm sure most people do too. I guess you can say people hate the role, not the player.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

:shakehead

So by league goons you mean guys who can actually play like Clutterbuck, Kassian, Salomaki...guys who hit to hurt? Those are the guys who are killing us. Thank goodness we have Kassian now. Adding a few other hard hitters is the way to keep other teams at bay.

Tell me, when was the last time a goon on the Oilers went out and grabbed a guy who threw a big body check and beat him up? When was the last time a team was afraid to hit us and play physical because of a guy in the press box or on the bench?

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
:shakehead

So by league goons you mean guys who can actually play like Clutterbuck, Kassian, Salomaki...guys who hit to hurt? Those are the guys who are killing us. Thank goodness we have Kassian now. Adding a few other hard hitters is the way to keep other teams at bay.

Tell me, when was the last time a goon on the Oilers went out and grabbed a guy who threw a big body check and beat him up? When was the last time a team was afraid to hit us and play physical because of a guy in the press box or on the bench?

I remember when Macintyre beat that guy on Minnesota senseless.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was too gentle out there until the gloves were off. Not many big hits from Gazdic that would have the other team reacting to him. His worth at this point would be like the last Florida game to make sure that Thornton didn't take on Hendricks. That's about it IMO.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Glad to see him gone. Seems like a nice guy, but the evolution of hockey is to have 20 of your best players on the game day roster, not 19 of your best and a tough guy. Successful teams phased out the goon years ago. Gazdic was always playing ahead of someone who was faster, better offensively, better defensively, and more. It is time this team grew up.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I don't see him making it in the NHL. In a perfect world a 4th line of Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen/Korpi is ideal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was too gentle out there until the gloves were off. Not many big hits from Gazdic that would have the other team reacting to him. His worth at this point would be like the last Florida game to make sure that Thornton didn't take on Hendricks. That's about it IMO.

But even then, Hendricks still got the **** kicked out of him by Gudbranson. And that was after already having fought after the hit on Ekblad in the first game.

Once Gudbranson filled in Hendricks it's not like Thornton would have made him fight also.

For Gazdic to have any sort of an impact in that game he would have needed to make it so Hendricks didn't need to fight at all.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Wasn't fast or agile enough to hit anyone.

I'm sure he'll be back in a couple weeks, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad