Sportsnet: Luke Fox: Leafs have kicked tires on Jack Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Honestly, not sure why they wouldn't like the fit, other than they don't pay attention to Martinez, he's one of the league's best shot blockers, not a liability on offense, and is solid if not unspectacular on D.

He isn't going to anchor a line, but say you put him with Barrie, that will allow Barrie to play the game to his style more etc. Either way, with the NHL playoffs being such a grind, having Martinez has your 5th/6th dman is a plus as you will need 7 or 8 unless you are very very lucky.

Leafs need both Barrie and Martinez on the right side...meaning somebody needs to play with Rielly and the other to take either 2nd pair minutes with Muzzin or 3rd pair minutes with Dermott. Apparently Muzzin and Martinez were a disaster together in LA.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Meh...pass.

It is fine by me i don't think the leafs are the right fit anyways even if it makes sense Most of your defense is ufa Alec is signed for another year. Leafs could use a defenseman that can block shots Alec is among the best in the nhl but no problem my friend i was not the one pushing him only explaining that he was left handed and can play both side ( right side actually better then left )

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I would do a 2nd for Campbell, but wouldn't do Kapanen or Johnsson. These guys are both young, speedy, skilled, hard working wingers who are solid defensively, already putting up ~40-50 point seasons, who I can easily see maturing into ~50-60 point guys. Both are signed to good contracts too (low-ish cap hits, and still RFAs when their current deals expire).

Backup goalies tend to be fairly cheap, trading Kapanen/Johnsson quality wingers for a backup is overpayment. If the price for Campbell is Kapanen or Johnsson, then I'd just go after someone else.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, and the Post, the Daily News, and Newsday write articles about the Rangers every day - and get fed rumors to publish. It's a known tactic.

This article comes out and hours later Bracco is scratched and Georgiev is announced as not playing tomorrow.

Maybe you on to something

;)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Leafs need both Barrie and Martinez on the right side...meaning somebody needs to play with Rielly and the other to take either 2nd pair minutes with Muzzin or 3rd pair minutes with Dermott. Apparently Muzzin and Martinez were a disaster together in LA.

Not sure why they NEED that.....

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
I'd like the wild to get him, then expose Dubnyk in the expansion draft. Hed be a cheaper stop gap goalie than Dubnyk. And at this point, that's all both of them are.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
The obvious target remains Georgiev. Just a matter of whether or not Dubas will cave on the asking price. Gorton is not going to move him unless he gets what he wants, there’s no pressing need.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The obvious target remains Georgiev. Just a matter of whether or not Dubas will cave on the asking price. Gorton is not going to move him unless he gets what he wants, there’s no pressing need.
You may not want to admit it, but Gorton is under a little pressure here as well.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
You may not want to admit it, but Gorton is under a little pressure here as well.
Why? The Rangers are almost certainly not gonna make the playoffs. I think we can handle three goalies for another 30 games, and then have the offseason to address the situation. We don’t need to move him by the deadline for any reason.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why? The Rangers are almost certainly not gonna make the playoffs. I think we can handle three goalies for another 30 games, and then have the offseason to address the situation. We don’t need to move him by the deadline for any reason.
This is true, although i wonder why he decided to shop him then.

Allow me to expand, i think it would be a better move to play him all season and see what they actually have in him and then decide what to do in the offseason.

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Honestly, not sure why they wouldn't like the fit, other than they don't pay attention to Martinez, he's one of the league's best shot blockers, not a liability on offense, and is solid if not unspectacular on D.

He isn't going to anchor a line, but say you put him with Barrie, that will allow Barrie to play the game to his style more etc. Either way, with the NHL playoffs being such a grind, having Martinez has your 5th/6th dman is a plus as you will need 7 or 8 unless you are very very lucky.

See I would love this deal if Martinez was a few years younger. It fills 2 needs for the Leafs in top 4 Dman (who can play the right side) and a backup goaltender. The only issue with the deal is that Martinez will be 33 this summer and 34 once his contract is up. He is not the "long-term" player that the Leafs are hoping for out of a Kapanen trade (though a martinez caliber player is probably what the leafs are hoping for). I think Dubas is wanting someone in the Dumba/Larsson age range

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They have Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin on the left. They have Barrie, Ceci, and Holl on the right...you tell me which side needs the upgrade for this year and beyond...

You upgrade Ceci and Holl, Martinez is a huge upgrade on either, but if you are going to pigeon hole people in to fit a LH-RH narrative, I mean, sure, I guess.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
See I would love this deal if Martinez was a few years younger. It fills 2 needs for the Leafs in top 4 Dman (who can play the right side) and a backup goaltender. The only issue with the deal is that Martinez will be 33 this summer and 34 once his contract is up. He is not the "long-term" player that the Leafs are hoping for out of a Kapanen trade (though a martinez caliber player is probably what the leafs are hoping for). I think Dubas is wanting someone in the Dumba/Larsson age range

I can agree with that, but I don't think you are getting a Dumba/Larsson type for Kapanen, you just aren't. But, if all you are doing is looking long term, you will lose out on winning the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad