Sportsnet: Luke Fox: Leafs have kicked tires on Jack Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm not going to debate with you, it isn't worth the hassle. Getting a player of Muzzin's caliber for a 1st+Grundy+Durzi was a very fair market value trade. Nothing about any of the players Blake received in the deal proves he won anything at this point.

Just for poops and giggles though, what happens if the Leafs re-sign Muzzin (talks happening right now)? Does that change your opinion?

I agree with you. As a kings fan I love the deal but that does not mean it was a loss for the leafs. You can't steal 2nd with your foot on first.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You replied to me. I said i would not be expecting Blake to let Canpbell go cheaply knowing the leafs desperately need a back up goalie. And based on his trade record. That’s my opinion.Blake is not in the business of doing Dubas favours. He is the one that didn’t address the goaltending. Now he is. There will be a price to be paid.
Have
At
It.
Enjoy yourself.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I agree with you. As a kings fan I love the deal but that does not mean it was a loss for the leafs. You can't steal 2nd with your foot on first.
It was a straight up hockey deal that addressed both teams needs in their situations. there doesn't always need to be one GM stomping on another's throat.

Reactions: YP44

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kings are rebuilding. They were written up with the best farm system in the NHL recently. I have to think Blake is looking on building on that. Campbell is signed for 2 years. I wonder what the price will be to let him go?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not gonna lie I liked their chances at the beginning but thought they were too soft. I think Dubas only sees run and gun talent and doesn't realize you need grit to. The hard part is done loads of talent but sometimes you gotta sacrifice some talent for character. They need to trade some of their middle 6 guys like Johnsson and Kapanen unless they wanna move Nylander for a bigger fish on Defense. I don't see or expect them to move any of the big three or Rielly. Good luck.

Jake Muzzin says hi.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Blake and Dubas have one deal under their belt. Blake has shown already he can drive a hard bargain. I would not expect Campbell to come cheap.
Do you honestly believe that all GM's try to conspire against Dubas and want to screw him over? Seriously though you seem to forget that in the Jake Muzzin trade Toronto still got him without giving up Sandin or Liljegren who the media and everyone else called Toronto's two top prospects and it was said to get Muzzin that Dubas would need to trade either one of them. So if Toronto did trade for Jack Campbell we would see a fair deal between Dubas and Blake.

Mar 26, 2010
Not gonna lie I liked their chances at the beginning but thought they were too soft. I think Dubas only sees run and gun talent and doesn't realize you need grit to. The hard part is done loads of talent but sometimes you gotta sacrifice some talent for character. They need to trade some of their middle 6 guys like Johnsson and Kapanen unless they wanna move Nylander for a bigger fish on Defense. I don't see or expect them to move any of the big three or Rielly. Good luck.
I agree. I can see Kappy or AJ getting moved but Nylander is near untouchable, he will not be traded.

My prediction is that the Leafs finish 11th in the east. Golf season early.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I agree. I can see Kappy or AJ getting moved but Nylander is near untouchable, he will not be traded.

My prediction is that the Leafs finish 11th in the east. Golf season early.
I hope they make the playoffs yet or finish bottom 10 as losing that first to Carolina will sting if it's in the 11-15 as only top ten is protected I believe.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am didn’t I say the Leafs are desperate for goaltending. That’s what we are discussing here. Blake knows this. Every Gm knows this. Won’t come cheaply.

Thing is goalies don't have high trade value, I don'r understand why that is but they never have.

Campbell is a backup he's not going to have high value

Reactions: LeafsNation75

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Thing is goalies don't have high trade value, I don'r understand why that is but they never have.

Campbell is a backup he's not going to have high value

Even if LA really doesn't want to trade him, a 3rd rounder would be more than enough of an over-payment to get them to say yes IMO.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Even if LA really doesn't want to trade him, a 3rd rounder would be more than enough of an over-payment to get them to say yes IMO.

Perhaps, but he is signed for another year or two. For all we know Quick could retire or something. A tandem of Campbell / Peterson would still be a decent option.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You replied to me. I said i would not be expecting Blake to let Canpbell go cheaply knowing the leafs desperately need a back up goalie. And based on his trade record. That’s my opinion.Blake is not in the business of doing Dubas favours. He is the one that didn’t address the back up goaltending situation. Now he is. There will be a price to be paid when you are a GM that reacts rather than a proactive gm.

He came pretty cheap, with Clifford 50% retained...

Reactions: TFHockey

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He came pretty cheap, with Clifford 50% retained...
Was he really? He's going to be paid 1.65m next year. For that amount of money had Dubas prioritized signing a capable back up last summer, it wouldn't have costed 2 third rd picks, and Moore. The point is, these caliber of goalies are available as UFA's had Dubas not gambled on 700K solutions.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Was he really? He's going to be paid 1.65m next year. For that amount of money had Dubas prioritized signing a capable back up last summer, it wouldn't have costed 2 third rd picks, and Moore. The point is, these caliber of goalies are available as UFA's had Dubas not gambled on 700K solutions.

Considering he had a better save percentage than Quick every year in LA, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad